Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New High Amperage Charger Upgrade Software Hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the new High Amperage Charger Upgrade was just a software change as all the new cars were being built with the same charger. My DS says it's a physical change or different hardware and that is why I can't change the option.

I thought the new High Amperage Charger Upgrade was just a software change as all the new cars were being built with the same charger. My DS says it's a physical change or different hardware and that is why I can't change the option.
For the refreshed Model S, the High Amperage Charger Upgrade is a software update that allows you to increase from 48 amps to 72 amps. It can be enabled after delivery for $1900. Your DS might be thinking of the Dual Chargers option available on the pre-refresh Model S.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and David99
For the refreshed Model S, the High Amperage Charger Upgrade is a software update that allows you to increase from 48 amps to 72 amps. It can be enabled after delivery for $1900. Your DS might be thinking of the Dual Chargers option available on the pre-refresh Model S.
This is for a refreshed Model S. He's telling a few different things, like it's a legal issue an so on but I think he is just hoping I go away.

Being able to turn on options later is cool and all but they needed to be upfront about it. When I locked in the order the site made it sound like it was a one time deal only listing a buy it now price unlike now where it shows that you can add it later for more.

I would not have gotten the option if I had know it was a software change. I would have waited to see if I really needed it. It looks like most folks do not. Feeling a little bait and switched. :(

Last edited:
Your DS is incorrect. Unfortunately a lot of the new car features are better understood here than at the sales office. If you already paid for it then the advantage is that you paid $1500 vs $1900. Software upgrades are traditionally more expensive if ordered after production.
I know but that's not how the option was described, it was implied that it was hardware and that you could only do it at the time of purchase. There's also the fact that the software upgrades can be purchased without tax so the price difference isn't as bad and you can wait to see if you need it and again they didn't give the proper information at the time and it's something that I probably wouldn't have needed but was worried and purchased it because I thought it was a one-time deal. The continued misinformation and attempted blow-offs are just adding insult to injury.

That is concerning. I'm sorry your DS is like that. You may be able to argue the upgrade is software only and you were told otherwise and based upon that you'd like it changed. It costs tesla nothing to change it (aside from making less money but there no actual cost) and it will make you a happy customer. You could also point out that if you decide you want the 72 amps later on, you'll gladly pay the higher $1900 rate.

Make sure this is what you want before asking. Once you label yourself as a difficult customer, you'll never loose that label with employees. Not that this is a concern if the DS misrepresented the charger. It's an easy misunderstanding for them to make because the old double Chargers were that way. They should have trained their people better on the updates. I was a little surprised how unaware a few employees were of prices considering they sell the stuff. If you drive a lot of miles daily or are going to use destination chargers or RV 14-50 outlets often, then the higher amp charger can be worth it as it reduces your charge time by 33%. Superchargers are unaffected.

Last edited:
That is concerning. I'm sorry your DS is like that. You may be able to argue the upgrade is software only and you were told otherwise and based upon that you'd like it changed. It costs tesla nothing to change it (aside from making less money but there no actual cost) and it will make you a happy customer. You could also point out that if you decide you want the 72 amps later on, you'll gladly pay the higher $1900 rate.

Make sure this is what you want before asking. Once you label yourself as a difficult customer, you'll never loose that label with employees. If you drive a lot of miles daily or are going to use destination chargers or RV 14-50 outlets often, then the higher amp charger can be worth it as it reduces your charge time by 33%. Superchargers are unaffected.

That is what I would have thought but it appears they're determined to blow me off until they call me to pick up the car.

This is for a refreshed Model S. He's telling a few different things, like it's a legal issue an so on but I think he is just hoping I go away.

Being able to turn on options later is cool and all but they needed to be upfront about it. When I locked in the order the site made it sound like it was a one time deal only listing a buy it now price unlike now where it shows that you can add it later for more.

I would not have gotten the option if I had know it was a software change. I would have waited to see if I really needed it. It looks like most folks do not. Feeling a little bait and switched. :(

Most DS's seem to be woefully ignorant about most things Tesla.

Reactions: Galve2000
He has said multiple times now that he's researched it and come back with why they legally can't do it or why they can't do it because it's really hardware not software and so on. It's not the end of the world but it is frustrating and leads to daydreaming of just walking away and disputing the charge on my credit card.

He has said multiple times now that he's researched it and come back with why they legally can't do it or why they can't do it because it's really hardware not software and so on. It's not the end of the world but it is frustrating and leads to daydreaming of just walking away and disputing the charge on my credit card.
When did you place your order? If you did it May 30th or later you can still add the $1k referal credit which would at least take a little bit of the sting off the extra $1500 you paid, and don't let DS tell you that you can't add the discount after you have ordered because you can (as long as you ordered after the 30th) my referal link is in my signature if you don't already have one

Make sure this is what you want before asking. Once you label yourself as a difficult customer, you'll never loose that label with employees. Not that this is a concern if the DS misrepresented the charger. It's an easy misunderstanding for them to make because the old double Chargers were that way. They should have trained their people better on the updates. I was a little surprised how unaware a few employees were of prices considering they sell the stuff. If you drive a lot of miles daily or are going to use destination chargers or RV 14-50 outlets often, then the higher amp charger can be worth it as it reduces your charge time by 33%. Superchargers are unaffected.

Umm... The standard 48 amp charger can already pull 20% more power than a 14-50 outlet can safely deliver.

It's only at destination chargers with high power settings that it would matter (unless you have an HPWC at home, of course.)

I'm not sure what percentage of destination chargers have the full 80 A available - I had assumed it was most of them, but the threads I read here suggest a lot aren't. Is that data tabulated somewhere?

Reactions: valkeriefire

+100..

the worst part of my Tesla experience so far was my DS at delivery... thankfully everything since has been near flawless.. including the car.

i felt like the guy wanted me OUT THE DOOR and nothing else. it's funny b/c I have read posts on both TMC and TM forum extolling how great he is. I also think I read somewhere he is no longer working at Tesla. oh well...

I told him that if I was wrong I was sorry but everyone else says it's software, his response: "No problem, I was under the same impression of it being a software change. although now It sounds like there is a physically different part depending on what options are selected."

I've sent an email to Tesla in hopes someone there can help. The DS says he researched it many times and still talks in maybes, is he just Googling it? For flips sake.

I had to read a couple of times.You're pissed that you bought the option and you're annoyed the DS won't let you change your mind and take it away? It seems like every response is talking about "upgrade", but you want to "downgrade"

You claimed above "that's not how the option was described, it was implied that it was hardware and that you could only do it at the time of purchase."

When you bought your Model S, did the configuration page have text at the bottom of box for "High Amperage Charger Upgrade" which says "Enable after delivery for $1900"? That's pretty darn clear.

But, for Model X, yeah, it was f'ing confusing at first and Tesla was quite clear that you had to choose at time of configuration, and then they changed how things worked later. I don't know for Model S if Tesla had the same major confusion/misinformation/change-their-mind going on before settling on the current plan where it can be upgraded later.

Still, you're talking about downgrading. That's a different kettle of fish.

I had to read a couple of times.You're pissed that you bought the option and you're annoyed the DS won't let you change your mind and take it away? It seems like every response is talking about "upgrade", but you want to "downgrade"

You claimed above "that's not how the option was described, it was implied that it was hardware and that you could only do it at the time of purchase."

When you bought your Model S, did the configuration page have text at the bottom of box for "High Amperage Charger Upgrade" which says "Enable after delivery for $1900"? That's pretty darn clear.

But, for Model X, yeah, it was f'ing confusing at first and Tesla was quite clear that you had to choose at time of configuration, and then they changed how things worked later. I don't know for Model S if Tesla had the same major confusion/misinformation/change-their-mind going on before settling on the current plan where it can be upgraded later.

Still, you're talking about downgrading. That's a different kettle of fish.

Really, come on. You state part of what I said like you can’t see why I’m being a jerk and upset over nothing. Then you quote part of why that is not the case. ??? I claim? I claim indeed! Where’s the empathy? :)

I didn’t just change my mind a demand that Tesla give me a white car a week before delivering the black one I ordered. They are not as clear as they could easily be, that’s their deal not mine. I don’t know why the site was not ready after the refresh was announced but it was not all there. Some of the pictures did not show the panoramic roof when selected, the 75kWh option was not shown at all and the High Amperage Charging was shown as a buy it now only price. The option to buy it later for a different price was not shown. That is the only reason I added the option. Had I known you could add it later, I would have waited to see if it was really needed and known that when selling the car, someone else could add it if that was a deal breaker. The fact that it’s just a software change makes it an easy choice.

I don’t think its fare that they are a little fast and loose with the information and options. Everyone but my DS seems to think it’s just a software option on the account. I’m just looking for a little help from Tesla. So far I’ve not heard anything since Friday from the DS and I’ve sent emails to sales and delivery with no replies.

I do have empathy. Tesla sucks at this stuff. They get so much hard stuff right but totally screw up easy things. There are clearly no internal control on decisions - some employee decides something and gets the website updated. That pisses off some other employee who overrides the first and gets the website changed again. There is clearly no adult supervision at Tesla. And, customers like you get whipped around.

It's beyond crazy to see design studio changes with new package/option combinations and prices only to have them changed just days later because it's totally obvious to everyone inside and outside of Tesla that some idiot high on drugs made the changes. Isn't something as important as the price of the car and the option packages reviewed by ANYONE before shoved into the design studio. And, beyond that, doesnt ANYONE test design studio changes for bugs before deploying changes on the website?

Tesla lack of adult supervision is also evident in the gratuitous changes in the software User Interface.

Tesla's communication skills are horrible. This applies to their own employees in the stores and service and centers who aren't any better informed or prepared for what comes out of Fremont than we are.

In many industries, you can rate a manufacturer by the measuring the delay between shipping a product and delivering the instructions. The user manual for the S shows the fuse layout for the US destined, last generation Model S. If your vehicle is right hand drive, which has been shipping for years, there is no user documentation on the fuses under the hood. In the US, if you're getting the recently redesigned S, your user manual still shows the fuse layout from the previous generation.

Tesla has a lot of growing up to do.

Meanwhile, people like you make decisions based on the information available at the time only to find out Tesla has changed their mind, or nobody provided correct info to the web folks, or all of the above.

• Disagree
Reactions: AmishEV and M0DEL³