Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Higher-resolution Instrument Panel Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison, here is a closeup of my charge bar. The car is a June 2014 build with the thin bezel.
View attachment 56077

In this photo the charge bar is approximately 260 pixels wide which corresponds to a horizontal resolution for the whole panel of 1920px.

I would say this is clear evidence that it's a new screen, most likely 1920x720 resolution.

But the change of bezel and the change of screen are not connected - my car has the thin bezel but a 1280px screen.

Can anyone who's seen both displays at night comment on whether light bleed has been improved?

The one complaint I have with the interior of the car is the driver's dash display leaks way too much light at night, even with the brightness turned way down to 10%.

Ok so can anyone post just one pic of the thin bezel? Thanks.

Here a few of mine -- perhaps they'll help determine what all has changed. I have the newer INCREDIBEZEL. (Registered trademark?)

friday+6-20-2014+12-39-21+PM.JPG

friday+6-20-2014+1-29-50+PM.JPG

tuesday+6-24-2014+11-21-44+AM.JPG

@Newscutter that looks like the original display to me, with the new bezel (same as mine, which makes sense; our VINs are within 300 of each other). And very smart it is too...

Also what did you just do while in a queue of stationary traffic to get to 900Wh/mi ;-)

What's the ideal brightness percentage in order to maximize screen life?

There is no such thing as maximizing screen life for LCD screens: they do not burn out.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost all LCDs have poor contrast ratio like you see. While the main touch-screen can dim the backlight, the instrument cluster cannot, AFAIK.

Actually, the instrument cluster dims its backlight just fine, at least in the new version of the screen. It still leaks light at night, so I keep it at about 30% brightness level for this reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that incremental improvements are a good thing. No other car company that I know of updates their cars the way Tesla does. Sometimes changes require hardware, and sometimes that can be added. Overall, however, I see so many advantages to this that I am more than willing to take what is available now and take the future upgrades that I can, and not lose sleep over what 'might be' coming in the future.

My company supplies to several automotive manufacturers (Toyota, Chrysler, Subaru, Renault to name a few) and middle-of-the-model-year changes are not unheard of. Both software and hardware often changes when it's ready. Not as often as Tesla does it (and almost never new options become available out of the blue), but still not too unusual.

Last edited:
Maybe just another reason for trade-in (or trade-up)?

I'll need to do some serious thinking when 4WD and 110 kWh batteries become available in Model S (or X).

The instant price dropping effect on existing Model S's complicates this process.

My company supplies to several automotive manufacturers (Toyota, Chrysler, Subaru, Renault to name a few) and middle-of-the-model-year changes are not unheard of. Both software and hardware often changes when it's ready. Not as often as Tesla does it (and almost never new options become available out of the blue), but still not too unusual.
I know that for example BMW make changes starting every quarter (incl available options) so middle-of-the-MY changes are quite standard in the auto industry I'd say...

I'll bet that significantly larger batteries will not come until the generation after Gen III, i.e. around 2020. Tesla's manufacturing rate is constrained by battery supply, so until gigafactory is up and running they won't do anything that means they can make fewer cars for a given number of cells.

If you want 4WD I'd get yourself a Model X reservation, because again I doubt we'll see an AWD Model S until a year or more after the X is shipping.

@Newscutter that looks like the original display to me, with the new bezel (same as mine, which makes sense; our VINs are within 300 of each other). And very smart it is too...

Also what did you just do while in a queue of stationary traffic to get to 900Wh/mi ;-)

Really? Drat. I was hoping to increase JakeP's jealousy of my Incredibezel by boasting of my superior clarity. Will have to wait a few more weeks to get our cars side-by-side for in depth comparison, but if everyone agrees the display itself is still original then I guess I'll dial back my playful smugness.

The 900Wh/mi spikes (I had several) appear to be a combination of hot day, no wind/airflow, AC cranked, and stuck in stopped traffic. It happened a couple times under those exact conditions (which also followed about 45 minutes or so of highway speeds) while driving into downtown DC. My assumption was simply that we were consuming lots of power (the AC) but not actually moving.. so the Wh per MILE were high simply because it could take 20-30 minutes to move a mile, not because of drivetrain power consumption. Made me look twice and freaked me out a bit until I really pondered it... but rated range didn't deviate from norms.

I'll bet that significantly larger batteries will not come until the generation after Gen III, i.e. around 2020. Tesla's manufacturing rate is constrained by battery supply, so until gigafactory is up and running they won't do anything that means they can make fewer cars for a given number of cells.

If you want 4WD I'd get yourself a Model X reservation, because again I doubt we'll see an AWD Model S until a year or more after the X is shipping.

Tesla is not constrained by battery supply, they are constrained by their ability to produce cars. They are "production constrained", not "battery constrained". That's why the factory has been upgraded so that it can produce 1,000 cars per week. They have enough batteries to supply the cars they are producing, they just can't produce more cars. The battery gigafactory is needed to supply Gen 3, not to supply Model S or Model X which are expected to sell just fine given the current supplies.