Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highway Code Rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you pay to walk down the street? Because that has the same impact on the environment and others as cycling.
Yes, it’s called Council Tax. Cycle lanes are not part of that budget though, certainly not the one I have been referring to. The impact is simple, a whole traffic lane in each direction has been removed from motor vehicles use to be given to cyclists ….who are not using it, so why has it been repurposed and who paid for it, who now maintains it too? Does it come from Council Tax or Road Tax, because it’s no longer a road, just an empty space with rubbish blowing about because no one uses it. A bit of a no mans land now so pointless.

You can’t disable the vast majority of safety features, don’t get me wrong, I would do if I could. As I’ve managed well over 30yrs without an accident or claim I reckon I can do pretty well without the bings, bongs & chimes.
The thing is, those bongs / chimes / interventions are the direct result of your driving leading a completely impartial observer to say "that's dangerous", and intervene.

The warnings are likely triggering because you drive too close to the vehicle in front, or pass pedestrians too fast and too close, or try to change lane into the path of other vehicles.

As for 30 years driving with no accidents or claims - well, perhaps you were just lucky?

We rode a horse whilst living in Germany.
If you want to ride other than on your public land the horse and rider must have 3rd party insurance. A small "number plate" is attached to the bridle and a copy carried by the rider. So if the rider became unmounted the emergency services would know who the rider was and where the horse should be. It wasn't expensive and made total sense.

Reactions: Xdama and Beady3647
Typing as a car driver, motor cyclist, cyclist and pedestrian not everyone in all of these groups is perfect when carrying out the relevant activities (even if some of them mistakenly think themselves so).

What’s depressing to read here and elsewhere is that the most invulnerable of them, the car drivers, seem all too willing to overlook their own shortcomings whilst complaining about the others.

It‘s always struck me as remarkable, especially when cycling, that of the 86,400 seconds available in a day just ten or twenty of them are often seemingly more important than my life or well being.

Folk need to chill out, you don’t want to spend the rest of your life regretting that you’ve seriously maimed or killed another individual for no good reason other than saving a few unimportant seconds. For that’s all it boils down to more often than not, totally unjustified and unnecessary impatience.

There are poor examples of all road users, that’s life. It’s not a reason to let ultimately unjustifiable frustrations take a life.

If you can see beyond the usual left wing/right wing editorial arguments, it’s an interesting article and worth a few minutes…

Yes, I saw the Times piece a few days ago and the Grauniad comment, which deserves a read, earlier today.

The Times has completely lost the plot.

As both a motorist and cyclist I can see, and sympathise, with both sides of the argument.

I think this whole 'them versus us' attitude is mad, everyone uses the roads, and there will always be people who act badly regardless of what transportation they use.

I simply don't understand why some people seem to get so worked up at the idea of pedal bikes been on the roads?? I absolutely love pedal bikes, as much as I love cars. For those people who haven't tried pedal bikes for a while, give it a go, you might actually like it!!! Honestly I don't care what kind of pedal bike it is, or even where you use them, they are all great fun :).

50333062121_90a58e3954_c_d.jpg

8934758974_a7db078088_c_d.jpg

9314768185_ac75ca2829_c_d.jpg

51123806485_1b71906d67_c_d.jpg

I spend more than they do on transport so how dare they go faster than me!

This is probably the funniest bit about commuting to work on the pedal bike vs car. It took me 25 minutes yesterday on the pedal bike, taking the scenic route, door to door. Today in the car it took me 25 minutes to get to the car park (3 minute walk to the office from there) despite taking a more direct route.

The car is the lazy option though, with heated stuff and music, the pedal bike is actually the far more reliable/quicker way in rush hour traffic taking the same route as the car would have got me into work under 20 minutes door to door, so a 10 minute saving versus the car.

Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, lazy option of the car (but have to leave home earlier), or the pedal bike. The other main advantage of the pedal bike is even on the eBike my average HR is around 120-130 for a good 40 minutes, so it counts towards cardio so I don't have to feel bad not doing any more exercise when I get home........

Will probably flip a coin tomorrow morning to decide :)

I'd love to be able to cycle to work but given my route is along narrow country roads (shortest is actually a single track with passing points) totally unlit for the majority of the route there is no way I'd want to risk it.

Lithium Ion cells aren't just good for EVs, the amount of lighting you can get on a pedal bike is now mad, and not for much cost. I commute on exactly the type of road you mention, for Dec/Jan I did roughly 50% of commutes on the bike. The days/nights are now getting light enough to the point where lights allow you to be seen rather than lighting up the road.

I run x2 front lights on the handle bars, and x2 rear light on the bike, than one on the backpack. I also have a helmet light that provides front and rear lighting.

51675611070_724d2a1964_c_d.jpg

51673940117_02e439b20d_c_d.jpg

Depends on the time of day you leave, taking in the country side is a great way to start the day. The only real risk isn't cars, its ice. I've fallen off twice in the last 18 months due to lack of grip on the roads. I've yet to come across any 'angry' driver when out on the country side roads.

51801492609_c2f89ae805_c_d.jpg

Reactions: Xdama
Lithium Ion cells aren't just good for EVs, the amount of lighting you can get on a pedal bike is now mad, and not for much cost. I commute on exactly the type of road you mention, for Dec/Jan I did roughly 50% of commutes on the bike. The days/nights are now getting light enough to the point where lights allow you to be seen rather than lighting up the road.

I run x2 front lights on the handle bars, and x2 rear light on the bike, than one on the backpack. I also have a helmet light that provides front and rear lighting.

51675611070_724d2a1964_c_d.jpg

51673940117_02e439b20d_c_d.jpg

Depends on the time of day you leave, taking in the country side is a great way to start the day. The only real risk isn't cars, its ice. I've fallen off twice in the last 18 months due to lack of grip on the roads. I've yet to come across any 'angry' driver when out on the country side roads.

51801492609_c2f89ae805_c_d.jpg
Difference between your route and mine is yours appears to have at least somewhere to go if you have to - mine is a lot more a case of ending up in a hedge.

Difference between your route and mine is yours appears to have at least somewhere to go if you have to - mine is a lot more a case of ending up in a hedge.

What the routing like around the narrow bits? I take the longer route into work on the bike to avoid the wider roads due to faster speeds cars travel at. On inherently narrow roads the speed of traffic is actually much slower. My personal preference of bike commute routes is unclassified road > narrow B roads > wider B roads > Trunk roads.

I 100% avoid any kind of multi lane trunk roads unless its literally for a few seconds to join smaller roads, the wider the road the more dangerous it actually is in my experience as drivers tend not to focus and will wonder across lanes without checking.

This is in my opinion the safest type of road to commute/ride on. Usually there is enough width to get pass a car coming the other way. The only issue is tractors/combine harvesters, but I've yet to come across them been around during rush hour.

50604609821_0600180eae_c_d.jpg