TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New "hold" feature on ap1 and the future

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Jan 23, 2017.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I had the opportunity to experience the new "hold" feature on my ap1 S while waiting at an exceptionally long light, and it got me thinking: considering the mobile eye cameras can recognize stop signs and I believe the color red, along with gps data, perhaps the new hold feature will be used after the vehicle stops at a light or sign to give it the OK since it doesn't have cameras to look "both ways".

2. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

There is a new hold feature? I"m still waiting for firmware update .. booohooo :-( .. what's new?

3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

If autopilot stops behind another vehicle, after a period of time, a blue "hold" will appear, and you have to press the accelerator after the vehicle in front of you moves.

• Informative x 2
  4. Matias

Matias Active Member

Are you sure it is not the old feature, where you have to press the accelerator for the car to move, if car sees some pedestrian movement around the car?

• Helpful x 1
  5. croman

croman Active Member

That "feature" isn't new. I believe it has existed for some time now. AP is basically is telling you it wants you to tell it when its OK to go again.

• Like x 1
  6. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I've seen this particular "hold" has been around for quite a while. It happens when you are too close the the vehicle ahead, and AP or TACC does not want to continue without your intervention.

• Informative x 1
  7. f-stop

f-stop Member

IF the OP means the feature as described by Matias above, then yes this has existed at least since 7.0, when I got my MS in late 2015. From the v7.0 owner's manual (dated Oct 2015), page 65:

• Informative x 1
  8. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

On our X this Hold has been activating in situations where it didn't used to. It's actually a regression in function. Because now, in the long slow-moving queue approaching the parking lot at our destination, the car needs more driver attention where it used to simply creep forward as traffic allowed. Now it seems to randomly engage Hold in situations no different than before.

• Like x 1
  9. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I'm referring to this post:
    Firmware 8.0

Where when the vehicle is at a stop for extended time at a red light, or behind a car with autopilot engaged and stopped, hold suddenly appears and needs the accelerator to take it off. I experienced this yesterday for the first time in traffic.
    Screenshot_20170123-134632.png

10. green1

green1 Active Member

The "hold" feature has existed in this same implementation since AP was first released in 7.0.
    The "recognize red lights and stop signs" was a promised feature of AP1 at the "D" reveal event, and on the Tesla website for some time thereafter. As it has not yet happened, and all references to it were removed from the website, I highly doubt Tesla will ever implement it. (but yes, the mobileye camera is capable of it)

• Informative x 1
  11. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

This is a new hold feature (or a bug) brought on by the latest update that I was referring to.
    Firmware 8.0

12. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

This refers to brake-hold, not the hold message. This has been in place since 7.0. Not new.

13. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

So much for autonomous driving then!

14. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

This is different. If you are engaged in autopilot and stopped behind a vehicle for an extended period of time, hold will appear and you must accelerate in order to resume autopilot. From post #4818 Screenshot_20170123-134632.png

15. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Yeah, but I don't expect ap1 cars to ever be fully autonomous due to the limited hardware. It would make sense for the hold to be at red lights and stop signs so the driver can look both ways before re-engaging autopilot.

16. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

This.

It's not new, it's happened to me a few times, and is easy to reproduce. Pull up CLOSE to the car in front of you, enable TACC/AP, get a hold message on the display in about 5 seconds.

17. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It seems you're reading too much into one post. Are you sure he wasn't too close to the car in front of him? Have you had this happen to you? Can you replicate it?

• Like x 1
  18. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

You need to stop quoting one guys observation and treating it like fact. He made an incorrect assumption.

• Like x 2
  19. whitex

whitex Active Member

The "hold" when the car has been stopped for X seconds has been there for a while. The X value changed up and down between releases (or at least it seemed that way to me). Maybe as part of latest neutering of AP1 the X value has been lowered. The reasons for making AP1 not useful have been discussed on other threads.

20. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

#20 fasteddie7, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Happened to me twice yesterday after autopilot was already engaged stopping at a red light, not engaging while stopped. The vehicle came to a stop on its own via autopilot, I was stationary and the vehicle in front started to move, I was shocked to see my vehicle didn't move, when I tapped the pedal I started moving again. I didn't see the hold the first time, the second time it happened a few minutes later in the same traffic, I saw the hold appear while I was stopped not touching anything. If this is the case I may be reporting a bug if everyone is certain this isn't new.

And YOU need to dial it back a bit. No need for such attitude during a discussion. Especially since I experienced it for myself. Bug or not.