Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me twice yesterday after autopilot was already engaged stopping at a red light, not engaging while stopped. The vehicle came to a stop on its own via autopilot, I was stationary and the vehicle in front started to move, I was shocked to see my vehicle didn't move, when I tapped the pedal I started moving again. I didn't see the hold the first time, the second time it happened a few minutes later in the same traffic, I saw the hold appear while I was stopped not touching anything. If this is the case I may be reporting a bug if everyone is certain this isn't new.
Were you behind a big vehicle? I also noticed the old behavior happens more when you're close to big vehicles (i.e. more so trucks, buses, vans than cars)

Reactions: JohnnyG
Happened to me twice yesterday after autopilot was already engaged stopping at a red light, not engaging while stopped. The vehicle came to a stop on its own via autopilot, I was stationary and the vehicle in front started to move, I was shocked to see my vehicle didn't move, when I tapped the pedal I started moving again. I didn't see the hold the first time, the second time it happened a few minutes later in the same traffic, I saw the hold appear while I was stopped not touching anything. If this is the case I may be reporting a bug if everyone is certain this isn't new.
Once again ... this has been in place since 7.0. IT IS NOT NEW.

Once again ... this has been in place since 7.0. IT IS NOT NEW.
New behavior for me. Pre update I have sat in traffic for longer and autopilot would start moving as soon as the vehicle in front moved. This did not happen to me twice in a row with no interaction from me pre hold. So it is NEW TO ME.

I can change the original post to:

I may have a bug, but an old feature that may be new, or a bug, gave me the idea of a way red lights and stop signs could be implemented in ap1.

It could be an isolated incident, but this is, in my mind, possibly a way ap1 could add stop signs and red lights to the mix.

Last edited:
I believe I've seen the TACC "hold" function even before 7.0, back in the 6.2 days. I remember when I first got my 85D in April of 2015, it was running 6.2 software, which had TACC capability but no autosteer yet, and I remember seeing it actuate sometimes back then. So it's existed and been documented since that point, but I don't believe I've seen it actuate since 7.0 was released, even while driving in stop-and-go traffic.

In the latest 8.0, there may be a change in behavior such that we're starting to see it again, although I have not seen it yet myself in 8.0 (2.52.22). I'll be driving home in stop-and-go traffic today, I will look for it.