Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HOLD mode for increased Re-gen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
You know......the one that comes to a complete stop.

Tried it for a few days. Thought is would be cool.
Oh wow. Stop Stop Stop.
Thought I would get used to it.
No way. Back to my rolling.

Save it for the BOLT

Any other impressions?

I have a Model X with HW 2.0 bought in 2017 and just received the latest software update of 2019.36.2.1 and it does not have Stop Mode in the options menu. I also have a Model 3 with HW 2.5 bought in 2018 and the same software update has the new feature. I love the feature and hope that it becomes an option for my Model X soon. Can anyone with HW 2.0 confirm that they also didn't receive this feature, or if possibly my software didn't update properly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Our 2017 S 100D (HW2) doesn't have the new feature either.

Since TACC will slow a vehicle in heavy traffic, come to a complete stop, and then resume when the vehicle in front moves, HW2 vehicles should be ale to support the new hold mode...

I have a Model X with HW 2.0 bought in 2017 and just received the latest software update of 2019.36.2.1 and it does not have Stop Mode in the options menu. I also have a Model 3 with HW 2.5 bought in 2018 and the same software update has the new feature. I love the feature and hope that it becomes an option for my Model X soon. Can anyone with HW 2.0 confirm that they also didn't receive this feature, or if possibly my software didn't update properly.

Thanks

Updated to 2.1 Have AWD. But NOT FSD. After update found that regenerative braking is MUCH LESS than before. And it goes away at speeds under 10mph. Did not get Stop Mode, either. So: do these features only work for FSD people?

I am wondering if using HOLD increases range?

Tried it again for a few days and still find it too jerky. I don't like having to mash the accelerator multiple times just to get out of the garage.
Also, hard on the cervical spine difficult to judge when to take foot off of pedal to come to a stop. It comes to a stop prematurely and then I have to accelerate again to move forward to the desired spot. Beef Jerky!! Besides, my left leg falls a asleep doing nothin'

Other opinions??

For Model X built after April, 2019. Raven only, in other words.
You know......the one that comes to a complete stop.

Tried it for a few days. Thought is would be cool.
Oh wow. Stop Stop Stop.
Thought I would get used to it.
No way. Back to my rolling.

Save it for the BOLT

Any other impressions?
Took a while, but I really like new hold mode. Contest with myself to ease up to stopped car just in time to stop. using no pedal.

OK Guys. With all of your endorsements, I challenged myself to using it for a week. Also wanted to see if there was any range savings in using it (didn't notice any). I agree backing up is a challenge. I could only hold out for three days before going back to my rock n' roll.
The killer was this. Try using HOLD when in heavy traffic. Damn, it takes off like a beast and then slams on the brakes (in grinding ABS mode) a few inches from the bumper of the car in front of me. I now know why they call it HOLD. HOLD on to your seat. What a nucking fightmare! I trust my toe on that break pedal. Saves the JERK. But that is why it is an option and an option that I suspect, knowing TESLA, will improve over time. That's what so cool about TESLA, you have a choice. More power to those who are using it in the beta mode. Good luck and good safety. And based on my limited use, I saw NO range advantage, so I have made my choice after two three day trials. Gotta know when to HOLD'em and know when to FOLD'em.

You do have to learn to use your accelerator foot for a move of feet or inches. Not difficult to do if you try. Same for moving in reverse. I love the feature but will admit not the best if you have a heavy foot and on't like feathering the accelerator.

Clearly it's possible, so why not?
I’m unclear on why you are so “clear” about that. I’m pretty sure that neither of us work in Tesla Engineering. If at this point only the Raven powertrain X cars with the latest firmware have the HOLD feature, it seems likely that there is something about the Raven cars that makes it possible. Since the Raven X vehicles have a permanent magnet motor and the pre-Raven vehicles do not, consider that as a possible explanation.

I like it. It's kind of a fun little contest I have with myself to see if I can go a whole trip without touching the brake. (These are trips around town of 3-8 miles so far; I've only had the car a few days.) I'm definitely still working through a few kinks mastering it, but I enjoy the challenge.