Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New home build - Anti-Solar provision question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came across this thread. Although the post is from four months ago, I thought I would try to shed some light on this issue. My Florida HOA found the following statutory language persuasive when I installed my solar array. The 2010 Florida Statutes (below) encouraged the development and use of renewable resources. Section 163.04 severely limited HOAs, deeds, etc from interfering with the installation of energy devices based on renewable resources. In light of this public policy, there may be case law that applies this statutory language “covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement” to private contracts. This public policy may also be any obstacle to the injunctive relief mentioned in contracts similar to RT's. If there is litigation, the prevailing party is entitled to certain costs and reasonable attorney’s fees. Check with an attorney regarding your individual situation.

163.04 Energy devices based on renewable resources.—
(1) Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter or other provision of general or special law, the adoption of an ordinance by a governing body, as those terms are defined in this chapter, which prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting the installation of solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources is expressly prohibited.
(2) A deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement may not prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources from being installed on buildings erected on the lots or parcels covered by the deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or binding agreement. A property owner may not be denied permission to install solar collectors or other energy devices by any entity granted the power or right in any deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement to approve, forbid, control, or direct alteration of property with respect to residential dwellings and within the boundaries of a condominium unit. Such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed on the roof within an orientation to the south or within 45° east or west of due south if such determination does not impair the effective operation of the solar collectors.
(3) In any litigation arising under the provisions of this section, the prevailing party shall be entitled to costs and reasonable attorney’s fees.
(4) The legislative intent in enacting these provisions is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare by encouraging the development and use of renewable resources in order to conserve and protect the value of land, buildings, and resources by preventing the adoption of measures which will have the ultimate effect, however unintended, of driving the costs of owning and operating commercial or residential property beyond the capacity of private owners to maintain. This section shall not apply to patio railings in condominiums, cooperatives, or apartments.

Hi Bennett,

Yes, that is the legislation that Gary referenced in posting #3.

Larry

Rubber Toe,

Congratulations on your move-in to your new house!

I’m glad that you resurrected this thread. I was particularly glad that you have not walked away from your solar goals. I believe that you are correct in thinking that the system in your first quote is probably too big. You are wise to get a feel for your first electric bills in that particular house.

I decided to install a 9kW array of 30 panels on new construction in central Florida. After two years’ experience, I’m quite pleased with it. If you PM me, I will give you whatever details you might find relevant. I would also advise you to consider having the same roofer that worked with your builder work with your solar installer in order to reduce warranty problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Bennett,

Yes, that is the legislation that Gary referenced in posting #3.

Larry

Yes, Larry , Besides auger’s post # 3, skyflyingmike referred to the same statute under the link “Florida Home Owners Solar Rights Act” in post 13.
I was hoping to provide a little context, analysis, and experience, as well as make clear what the statute actually says.

Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments, especially Cottonwood with the NREL calculator. We are finally starting to see some usage reflected in the online tool that Peace River just launched. It looks like we are using about 30-33kWh per day. See below:

House Power Usage.jpg

There is data above in the thread from 3 different posters showing this relationship between system size and average daily kWh produced:
4.95kw system = 19.72 kwh/day
12kw system = 50 kwh/day
10.2kw system = 40 kwh/day

These all work out to about ~4 kwh/day for each kw of panels installed. My rough calculation of 30kwh daily usage / 4 comes out to 7.5kw system. The quote I received from the company was for a 7.5kw system (either coincidence or they know what they are doing). I did ask them for a quote for a system that would offset essentially all of th epower usage. Cost would be about $25k before tax credit. This cost also seems in line with what others here have mentioned.

I'll watch the power usage a bit longer (one more week?) to see how it looks, then pull the trigger. The only remaining question is whether I do the full 7.5kw system or something slightly smaller. The plan is for me to possibly sell my sister my Kia Soul EV in about 2.5 years, at which point her usage might jump up a bit. Given how prices are still falling, maybe it would make sense to go with a 6kw system then expand it in a couple years when she gets the EV? The system uses Enphase micro-inverters, and the salesman indicated that it would be easily expandable in the future.

I'll post the NREL data when I get home, I don't have it here at work.

RT