Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Home Build Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Currently building a new home and own an M3. Likely will add MY in the future and trying to think through an EV for teens when they get a bit older. My question is should I go with a couple of wall mounted telsla chargers or am I better off having a universal charger that could charge any EV ensuring that we have flexibility down the road. Assuming that Tesla charger at home is better for Telsa cars but wondering how to future proof for other potential vehicles or is there an adapter for a Tesla charger to fit non Tesla vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

The Tesla Wall Connector is definitely the best power-sharing capable station on the market... and in March several brand new still in box Signature Tesla Wall Connectors were available in SoCal on Craigslist and TMC for $375. Our son bought and installed one for their new Model 3 LR DM and installed in on a 60A breaker for 48A charging... and can easily add a 2nd Tesla Wall Connector just by upgrading the wire and breaker to 100A.

One option is install the power and data cables for a loadsharing Tesla setup, install a Tesla wall connector and leaving all the other points capped off with a blank wall plate. It would be super easy to add wall connectors later if you dive into a full Tesla fleet.

If I were planning a house for 3 EVs, I would just run three dedicated circuits with wire thick enough to support 50 amps each, then install one 14-50 and two 14-30 outlets strategically placed where you envision the cars being parked. That would total 110 amps total capacity (similar to the Tesla WC sharing a single 100A circuit). 30 amps is plenty for overnight charging a 3 and a future Y, and having a single 50 amp outlet would be nice if you ever got a larger vehicle like an X or a pickup. If the wire for all the charging circuits is rated for 50 amps, all you’d have to do is re-arrange the breakers and outlets depending on where you’d park the vehicle needing 50 amps. Running dedicated circuits to outlets also allows for you to use UMCs (avoiding $500-1500 in extra expense for 1-3 cars). Or, dedicated circuits would also allow you to mix and match a combination of Tesla wall connectors and J1772 chargers if you bought another brand of EV.

Because of those reasons I think there’s a lot of future flexibility installing multiple dedicated circuits.

Reactions: Lobstahz
I wouldn't specify any specific connector when building a house. I'd wish for a 100A circuit available for each garage spot, but settle for a 50A circuit. Sure the Tesla HPWC can share between two Tesla devices, but it can't work with other vehicles. The J-1772 or a NEMA 14-50 is the universal option.
If you get the circuit wired, then you should be able to install whatever is needed later.

When I had my house built, I specified a 240V circuit on each side wall of the garage. I did not specify the amperage, outlet or the height. The electrical contractor naturally installed a 14-50 at +48" AFF. I have no regrets with this setup.
However, to get the maximum flexibility, you should specify a sub-panel in the garage with at least a 125A feed. Also specify conduit large enough for #3 copper wire to each charging station location that you want. This will give you the flexibility to do different configurations like power sharing HPWCs and adding a backup 240V outlet.

We added a 240V port in our garage when we had our house built specifically for an electric vehicle. I tested out the charge recently when I was down to only 43 miles left, and it charged during peak hours, and needed an extra 1.5 hours outside of peak hours to complete the 80% charge. This was 240V with 32 amps.

doing the same thing right now. I am having two 220v 50 amp circuits installed in my 2 car garage. Current house i also installed 2 220v50 amp circuits. just do a standard plug 14-50 and it will be future proof.

I would also add dedicated circuits, preferably wired to handle 60a each and call it good.

My option 2 would be to pull 100A to a sub-panel in the garage ad put in conduit to the locations that may have wall connectors using 1" conduit. Only install the first WC.
We added a 240V port in our garage when we had our house built specifically for an electric vehicle. I tested out the charge recently when I was down to only 43 miles left, and it charged during peak hours, and needed an extra 1.5 hours outside of peak hours to complete the 80% charge. This was 240V with 32 amps.

If you installed a 14-50, you are not getting the full benefit with the Gen2 adaptor. Either a Gen1 adaptor, a 14-50 cord adaptor, or a wall charger will give you 40a.

I would also add dedicated circuits, preferably wired to handle 60a each and call it good.

My option 2 would be to pull 100A to a sub-panel in the garage ad put in conduit to the locations that may have wall connectors using 1" conduit. Only install the first WC.

If you installed a 14-50, you are not getting the full benefit with the Gen2 adaptor. Either a Gen1 adaptor, a 14-50 cord adaptor, or a wall charger will give you 40a.

My car is 2 weeks old as of yesterday....hooray! :) So I am very new at this whole charging concept...I assume I have a Gen2 adaptor given that I bought a 2019 M3, is that accurate? How can I check to see what I have installed to confirm your statement regarding a 14-50? I noticed I could set how many amps I used, but it would always re-adjust to 32 amps. I'd like to check what I have and share here, let me know! Thank you -jazz

My car is 2 weeks old as of yesterday....hooray! :) So I am very new at this whole charging concept...I assume I have a Gen2 adaptor given that I bought a 2019 M3, is that accurate? How can I check to see what I have installed to confirm your statement regarding a 14-50? I noticed I could set how many amps I used, but it would always re-adjust to 32 amps. I'd like to check what I have and share here, let me know! Thank you -jazz

Oops. I didn't ask which Model 3 you have? The LR RWD, LR AWD, & Performance have a max out at 48a. The SR has a max of 32a. I'm honestly not sure in between. If you look at your charging screen when you are NOT plugged in, it will have a -/+ button. The max number shows the max capability of your particular car.

Assuming you have a car that can go to 48...

Tesla Gen1 Adaptor - 40a max - no longer for sale.

Tesla Gen2 Adaptor - 32a max - Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle. (this came with your 2019 car)

Corded Mobile Connector - 40a max - Corded Mobile Connector

Wall Connector - max depends on your wiring and car - Silver Wall Connector

• Helpful
Reactions: Jazz_MIII
Oops. I didn't ask which Model 3 you have? The LR RWD, LR AWD, & Performance have a max out at 48a. The SR has a max of 32a. I'm honestly not sure in between. If you look at your charging screen when you are NOT plugged in, it will have a -/+ button. The max number shows the max capability of your particular car.

Assuming you have a car that can go to 48...

Tesla Gen1 Adaptor - 40a max - no longer for sale.

Tesla Gen2 Adaptor - 32a max - Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle. (this came with your 2019 car)

Corded Mobile Connector - 40a max - Corded Mobile Connector

Wall Connector - max depends on your wiring and car - Silver Wall Connector

Thank you for helping me understand better...I have a LR RWD. I'll have to check my charging screen...I was also thinking I could somehow check the actual installation to see my V + amps? I'd be curious to confirm this, I am providing information off of what I was told would be installed plus what my vehicle shows during charging.

Also..based on the links you provided above I have both the Gen2 Bundle and the 40a max corded mobile connector.

Thanks! -jazz

Thank you for helping me understand better...I have a LR RWD. I'll have to check my charging screen...I was also thinking I could somehow check the actual installation to see my V + amps? I'd be curious to confirm this, I am providing information off of what I was told would be installed plus what my vehicle shows during charging.

Also..based on the links you provided above I have both the Gen2 Bundle and the 40a max corded mobile connector.

Thanks! -jazz
You have two different cable sets? The car by default only comes with one. Edit to add: Or do you mean you have a second adaptor that works with the longer cable that came with the car? It was a recent move to drop the 14-50 adaptor from the bundle.

They should have installed an outlet that looks like this image below. It is a 14-50 outlet. Technically, there is no easy way to verify that they did it all correctly, but having that outlet effectively advertises "240v 50a" available here!!! (continuous is limited to 40a, hence the lower car charging rating).

You could double check the breaker and verify that they put a 50a breaker. It would take some disassembly to verify the wire type.

Z2Lzwyfo5oy.JPG

Last edited:
You have two different cable sets? The car by default only comes with one. Edit to add: Or do you mean you have a second adaptor that works with the longer cable that came with the car? It was a recent move to drop the 14-50 adaptor from the bundle.

They should have installed an outlet that looks like this image below. It is a 14-50 outlet. Technically, there is no easy way to verify that they did it all correctly, but having that outlet effectively advertises "240v 50a" available here!!! (continuous is limited to 40a, hence the lower car charging rating).

You could double check the breaker and verify that they put a 50a breaker. It would take some disassembly to verify the wire type.

Z2Lzwyfo5oy.JPG
Cool thank you! I have this same outlet and when I got my vehicle they gave me the 20' cable with the 110 and 240 adaptors in a bundled looking softbox. So it literally looks like those first two sets you shared, combined. I'll inspect my outlet more closely when I get home because if there is a way to get more amps that would be cool...but tbh I don't typically let the batter get so low! So either way I think I am ok :)

When I built my house about 18 months ago I did what many here are suggesting. We had a 125-amp sub-panel installed, which fed to a 14-50 on one side of the garage and a capped-off 72A line to the other side, where we can install a Wall Connector or J1772 when we get a second EV. All together it was like $1200 extra. With that, I can charge two EVs overnight at 40A and 56A simultaneously.

The alternative was I think a 200A sub-panel feeding two 100A lines to each side. That would have been much more expensive, like 6 grand or something, because it required upgraded hardware on the outside of the house.

Usually i think you want to install two "generic" charging locations on both ends of garage such as 14-50. but since you have model 3 and might buy model y, going with two Tesla HWPC/wall connector might be a good idea. If anything, afterwards they can be removed and then 14-50 or whatever connection is rated for can be installed. But Tesla's did come with 14-50 before, so either way it works for you. @dsm363

A lot depends on the location of your electrical panel and your garage. For maximum flexibility, add a subpanel in your garage. Regardless of your electrical service, and you current need, size the wire for 80-100 amp. Or run conduit from your panel to the garage so the wiring can be easily upgraded if/when necessary.

More importantly, size your electrical service to reflect current and future requirements. I think most new homes today are built with 200 amp service. That might be fine for normal loads plus 1 EV; perhaps not for multiple EVs charging simultaneously. Avoid other big electrical draws: electric oven and dryer.

Hopefully you have the opportunity for solar.