Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Homelink compatible Garage Door Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a motion sensor installed which turns on the garage lights when triggered by moving garage door in low light. No need to do fancy things with the pilot light off your opener.

Newer garage door opener motors no longer have pilot light sockets in them, but in-built surface mount LEDs which can’t be tapped, meaning a solution like yours would be required instead. Alternatively, a reed switch to detect when the garage door is open - triggering some action which is up to you.

Reactions: moa999
Hi - I am in NZ, have a Merlin 230T opener (and a Model Y with HomeLink). I am 90% of the way to getting this to work.
The terminals on the back of the Merlin are (from top to bottom):
1. +12v dc,
2. manual control,
3. beam sensor,
4. manual control.

As per another post I have connected the Tessories device (which is much cheaper on aliexpress by the way!)
with power to 1.
Gnd to 2
and Control 1 to 2 & 4.

This has an interesting effect.
So if I take a bit of copper wire (with insulated pliers) and touch both 2 & 4 - it completes that circuit triggers open/close.
I have synched the receiver with Homelink, and if the device triggers the Merlin, it is getting stuck - it shudders then reverses - almost like its doing something different to me just connecting ports 2 & 4.

The only difference I can think is the setup with Gnd also going to 2. After much head stratching I have found a separate 12V power supply and will try using that instead

Hi - I am in NZ, have a Merlin 230T opener (and a Model Y with HomeLink). I am 90% of the way to getting this to work.
The terminals on the back of the Merlin are (from top to bottom):
1. +12v dc,
2. manual control,
3. beam sensor,
4. manual control.

As per another post I have connected the Tessories device (which is much cheaper on aliexpress by the way!)
with power to 1.
Gnd to 2
and Control 1 to 2 & 4.

This has an interesting effect.
So if I take a bit of copper wire (with insulated pliers) and touch both 2 & 4 - it completes that circuit triggers open/close.
I have synched the receiver with Homelink, and if the device triggers the Merlin, it is getting stuck - it shudders then reverses - almost like its doing something different to me just connecting ports 2 & 4.

The only difference I can think is the setup with Gnd also going to 2. After much head stratching I have found a separate 12V power supply and will try using that instead
Full guide for Merlin 230T install now here: link