Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New hood design - crease, dents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure would hope they had reinforced differently with this new hood. It seems quite silly that the hood has to be so fragile. I guess maybe they were trying to save some weight? I've had 3 Audis over the past 13-14 years, all with aluminum hoods, and I can slam it shut with nary a care.

Reactions: Alex D
Check the manual. The old manual had specific instructions on how to close the hood. And in pre-delivery, the made a point to show you exactly how to close it to avoid damage. It does seem a little absurd.
It's worse than that, over time, Tesla has changed those instructions several times, and often stated specifically the the previous instructions that they themselves had given would cause damage. Meanwhile, they refuse to cover any damage, even that done by following their own previous instructions, because they say that you abused it.

I believe this issue was solved some time ago. I have a 9-14 model and learned the drill. But I ran into a guy at the factory who was charging his new P90D when just released (sorry, do not remember exactly when). We talked about this and he opened his hood to show me that it was substantially beefed up with an additional structure member around the latch point. It also had the new latch system, which I do not have.

I used to fear opening my frunk. I think I might still a little. So I only keep all of my emergency, charging and other rarely used supplies there, which actually fills it up. But once I learned how to close it, it has been a piece of cake. I have no crease after 19 months and she looks perfect. Honestly, the only real difference is that you don't slam the hood down, like we are used to. You drop it to the latch and simply press it closed with two palms. Easy. I guess my only complaint (because I am certifiably crazy) is that I get my palm prints on the hood!

Time to check me in.

Unfortunately it's not that simple either. Some people abuse them all day every day and never have a problem, others follow Tesla's instructions to a "T" (pun intended) are extremely careful, and still managed to get the crease. It seems to be related to something else, maybe specific hoods are just more sensitive, some people have suggested that it might be a latch alignment issue where some require a bit more force to close than others, nobody knows for sure.

The only thing we know for certain is that many cars, both before, and after, every change so far, have had the issue. Regardless of whether the official Tesla method was followed or not.

That said, I still use my Frunk frequently, but then again, on a non D car, that massive frunk is one of the great selling features, and hard not to use.

I can say this... my March 2016 Model S's front hood closes very easily. I can actually use the index finger of each hand to actuate the lock up with the fingers placed right at the front edge of the hood. I suspect that Tesla has continually improved the mechanism over time. I am aware that the early Model S have two hoop latch catches. And for some time now, the hood has one hoop latch.

The 2016 Refreshed S appears to have a totally new hoop latch mechanism and lower surround where the hoop goes into the latching mechanism.

One of the displayed facelift cars in Oslo already has the hood dent.

My 2013 model with the first gen latch mechanism is still perfect.
Always closed it with the two palms one foot apart method.

What is the current correct way to close the frunk on a Classis 2013 P85?
I've read so many different instructions that I'm not sure which is the recommended procedure anymore.

upload_2016-4-23_11-43-21.png

Ever since I started buying nice things, I stopped slamming doors and hoods. When passengers slammed my doors with a full wind- up I just cringed and sometimes would try to catch the door before it hit. (non)Slamming hood was also a learned skill. That said, it never occurred to me that the Tesla would be unusually fragile. Thanks posters - I'll be even more careful due to these warnings. Hopefully, the M3 will be duly reinforced (fool me once...) .

Reactions: Pdub2015

When I bought my car, the Tesla delivery people told me to use the two hand procedure. Then, when the car was at the service center, they told me to use the one hand procedure in the location marked in red print in the illustration. So I'm confused as to which is the correct way. I've been using the one handed approach for almost 3 years with no crease in the frunk.

I just noticed a crease on my refresh frunk yesterday. Super frustrated and disappointed because I never had any issues with my pre refresh car, and believe this either happened pre delivery (inventory car) or at my last service appointment. It's very hard to see. Reached out to my service advisor to see what can be done. Because it's a crease, I'm skeptical paintless dent removal will do anything. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 123
Sorry to hear that. Pretty annoying they still haven't sorted this out. At one point it seemed that a potentially significant portion of the fleet was affected (we counted up damaged hoods at a TMC Connect). It's died down, so clearly they improved things, but instances still pop up now and again.

This is the first I've seen it on a refresh vehicle. They've revised the hood several times now. If anything, this lends more weight to the argument that some hoods are misaligned and require more force to close than others.

Presumably you've seen this, but it's essentially the definitive thread on the subject: Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)

Reactions: lakerholic
Sorry to hear that. Pretty annoying they still haven't sorted this out. At one point it seemed that a potentially significant portion of the fleet was affected (we counted up damaged hoods at a TMC Connect). It's died down, so clearly they improved things, but instances still pop up now and again.

This is the first I've seen it on a refresh vehicle. They've revised the hood several times now. If anything, this lends more weight to the argument that some hoods are misaligned and require more force to close than others.

Presumably you've seen this, but it's essentially the definitive thread on the subject: Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)

Thank you, yes... waiting on a response from my SA before I take further action on my own :/

Their past responses have been... poor.
I hope for your sake that they are willing to be more responsible this time.

My SA just responded and said that he thinks "they can take care of it"... of course the hitch is it'll be at a future service appt which is weeks away. LOL. But it is fantastic to see the type of customer service I am used to from Tesla continues to be great!