Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New house address does not appear on maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voucher2002

"You can observe a lot by just watching"...YB
May 31, 2019
Round Rock, Texas
I moved into a new home in a new community two weeks ago. There are about twenty existing houses on my street with room for about twenty more. When I enter my street address in the car’s navigation, nothing comes up. Now I need the address so I can set It as my “home” and tweak security, door locks etc. Is there a work-around? How long does it take for a new house address to be available to map apps? Is there someone I can call to plead my case? Thanks in advance for help.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
I could be wrong, but I believe the address isn't really used for 'homeness' for the purpose of security and locks and garage door openers. Instead, you get to your home, press the 'I'm home now' button, and it records that as the location for home. Its certainly that way for the garage door opener and folding mirrors.

Blame Google. It took a while for my house to show up as well after we moved in. Tesla uses Google's map dsta as far as I know, so the fix needs to happen with Google. I used a neighbour's address for a while until mine populated. My car still thinks it's at my neighbour's house sometimes.

In Google Maps when you type in the address you have the option to "Add a missing place" or "Suggest an edit on ___" Typically it takes a few hours and you will see it updated in Google. When Tesla does the next maps update it will show up. It will help you out for food deliveries and Rideshare requests.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yep, report the issue with on the Google Maps web site. My new work address is on a new street. The Tesla nav placed the address about 1/2 mile from the actual location, just like Google did. I filed a report with Google placing the address at the correct location and after 48 hours, the edit was approved. I checked on the Tesla nav a couple hours later and it too had the address in the correct location.

Reactions: Gasaraki
How to you the I'm home now location?
Sorry, what I suggested might not work. I was thinking of the homelink option to 'reset location' for a given auto-door activation. I don't think there's a way to tell the car 'this particular door is for my 'home' location', although it wouldn't be rocket science for the car to figure out the closest door to your home address is most likely your home's actual location.

In my particular case, I have a longish driveway that parallels the road so the actual connection of my driveway is at least a dozen numbers off from where my house is believed to be, numberwise. Sadly, even though I tried to reset the address to one that is closer to the entry so FSD might actually try to pull into my driveway on its own instead of basically parking on the road at the closest point to my house(!), google maps or whatever notices there's no actual house at the address I entered, so rejects the change.

Sorry, what I suggested might not work. I was thinking of the homelink option to 'reset location' for a given auto-door activation. I don't think there's a way to tell the car 'this particular door is for my 'home' location', although it wouldn't be rocket science for the car to figure out the closest door to your home address is most likely your home's actual location.

In my particular case, I have a longish driveway that parallels the road so the actual connection of my driveway is at least a dozen numbers off from where my house is believed to be, numberwise. Sadly, even though I tried to reset the address to one that is closer to the entry so FSD might actually try to pull into my driveway on its own instead of basically parking on the road at the closest point to my house(!), google maps or whatever notices there's no actual house at the address I entered, so rejects the change.
Software update to set home location as pin on the map would solve so many of those issues.