Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HOV Stickers

Would you stick this on your vehicle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my HOV stickers and I’m not thrilled to put it onto my white Molde 3. It seems that DMV wants stickers all around the vehicle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 268
Its either you live with the stickers on the car, or forgo being able to use the HOV lanes solo. Put them on if you know you're gonna use that privilege for the lifespan of the sticker being valid.

I am putting Opti-Coat on the car this week to protect the soft paint, that and some film under the sticker and I think I'll be fine. If you have already gone thru the order process, when do the stickers expire? My understanding is I cannot order stickers until I am issued plates, right?

-Randy

I like the idea, but in doing this your making your stickers very easy to steal.

Since all other color stickers will expire in January, and since white sticker vehicles will have to apply for new red ones (only cars 2017 and newer will be eligible for red stickers), that means allot of people will no longer have valid stickers.

This leads some people to steal stickers off other cars so they can apply them to their older cars that are no longer valid.

My stickers were stolen on my volt, and I didn't even make it easy for the theif. I had to use my fingernail to remove all the glue and garbage. It was difficult to remove I probably spend 20 minutes scraping all the gunk off.

But I do plan to stick them on my car. Could save me hours and hours of traffic.

Oh yea, there is already a post about this showing the red sticker on the car:
Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

Has anyone had this done for the in Southern California? It seems simple enough, but also seems like something that I wouldn't want to mess up...
I did it this weekend. I ordered some PPF off of Ebay, put the stickers on it and cut around the stickers to get a seamless look. Put them on and they look as good as they are going to look. But it will be nice to take them off without any paint issues once they change over to the new stickers in 2019 or when they expire.

Reactions: ImEric
I did it this weekend. I ordered some PPF off of Ebay, put the stickers on it and cut around the stickers to get a seamless look. Put them on and they look as good as they are going to look. But it will be nice to take them off without any paint issues once they change over to the new stickers in 2019 or when they expire.

I'd like to do the same, but my stickers haven't arrived yet. What are the dimensions of the decals? I see 3" 4" and 6" rolls available.

I was under the impression that these red stickers are only good through this year.

If they assign different stickers next year, wouldn't they have to be a different color? Otherwise how would a CHP know if it's an expired sticker, if they are both red?
White stickers expire in January. Red is good through 2022. The red stickers are replacing the white stickers for cars 2017 and newer (not sure if that's model year or production date).

If your tesla is older than 2017 it will no longer have HOV lane access as they will not give you red stickers.

Stupid.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and VBruce
I am putting Opti-Coat on the car this week to protect the soft paint, that and some film under the sticker and I think I'll be fine. If you have already gone thru the order process, when do the stickers expire? My understanding is I cannot order stickers until I am issued plates, right?

-Randy
Actually, I mailed my HOV application about 3-weeks after buying the car and got my stickers about 2-weeks after the plates. My theory was the DMV clerk would have to look up the VIN & plate # anyways to verify the info, so they could fill it out.

Ask a CHP officer that you know are run into to tell you the difference between the colors of the HOV stickers . ... My data suggests that they give ZERO training on the subject and having *a* sticker is 90% effective.... I am not condoning misuse, just stating facts.
Also probably pleading total ignorance if you have a yellow sticker would get you through on the other 10%.

Not true. Red stickers definitely expire on 1/1/2019. A new program will be announced by California DMV later this year.
And the new program is good through 2022. But nobody knows what it is, and what the stickers will look like. They could possibly even change the whole concept, making it a license plate, or something on your rear window (pretty please!!)