Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HPWC is out (soon?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla on Thursday around noon PDT and was told I would get a call back within 72 hours. I was in a bad way on Tuesday and needed the full charge capability, because of the slow charge, ended up with around 25 miles 'ideal' range left, needless to say this was the first time I cut it that close, which probably isn't that close.

In any event, the person I spoke with at Tesla corporate was aware of the new updated units, or the 'fix', but unaware of what process they are going to be using. I told him I didn't even really care about the electrician, I could have mine do it, and I would cover that cost. I just wanted a unit that worked at full amperage.

72 hours comes and goes by Monday, so we will see. If they referred it to my local service center, it could be a week before I hear from them. They are so busy that unless you pester them, you don't get a response, and I would prefer to wait until I really need support for that card to be played.

-jason

Jason,

If you are in need, you can still charge at 80A, you just have to overrule the car. Since this problem is caused by heat, short periods of this are low risk. Depending on exacts, you could also take the front of the unit off to allow it to cool well during charging at 80A, but that does expose live 240V and should be considered dangerous. Depending on where the unit is set up, and who has access to the area this may not even be a possibility.

Peter

I called Tesla on Thursday around noon PDT and was told I would get a call back within 72 hours. I was in a bad way on Tuesday and needed the full charge capability, because of the slow charge, ended up with around 25 miles 'ideal' range left, needless to say this was the first time I cut it that close, which probably isn't that close.

In any event, the person I spoke with at Tesla corporate was aware of the new updated units, or the 'fix', but unaware of what process they are going to be using. I told him I didn't even really care about the electrician, I could have mine do it, and I would cover that cost. I just wanted a unit that worked at full amperage.

72 hours comes and goes by Monday, so we will see. If they referred it to my local service center, it could be a week before I hear from them. They are so busy that unless you pester them, you don't get a response, and I would prefer to wait until I really need support for that card to be played.

-jason

Welcome to the forum, jasonsc. I think we're about a week or two before this stuff resolves itself regarding retrofits for existing HPWCs. I'm not saying everyone's will be fixed or replaced by then, but that we'll have some more official information.

I guess one point I should make is that since the HPWC is the same (same part number and revision), even if you have the fixed model I suspect the car is still going to give you the warning and lock you down to 60. I'm guessing the next software release will remove that, after Tesla gets new units to everyone who has one.

Never got my call back from Tesla as expected and had to place two calls to them yesterday. Finally they referred it to my local service center who is trying to find out what is going on. So now they are trying to find out if there is a "new" HPWC (we know there is) and what they are going to do with it....

I'll let you know if I receive any updates.

This is the answer I received today:

"As of yesterday evening the service teams are awaiting instructions on how to properly provide this upgrade. I asked them if there was an ETA for when they would begin performing these requests and they said, “very soon.” If they still have not reached out to you by next week, please alert me."

Jason,

If you are in need, you can still charge at 80A, you just have to overrule the car. Since this problem is caused by heat, short periods of this are low risk. Depending on exacts, you could also take the front of the unit off to allow it to cool well during charging at 80A, but that does expose live 240V and should be considered dangerous. Depending on where the unit is set up, and who has access to the area this may not even be a possibility.

Peter

+1 on this.
If you are truly desperate to charge at 80 Amps, take the cover off and put a stand-up fan blowing on the guts of the unit then crank the amps up to 80. Have a backup plan though (14-50) and be aware that there will be exposed 240V with the cover off. I actually think that if you were to remove the cover and then hang it by the built-in tab at the top of the cover that would also work and would protect the exposed hot wires inside and you could leave the cover semi-attached. This would allow it to breath and lower the internal temps to the fuses should survive 80 amp charging.

However there is some danger in this plan with the exposed electrified internals of the HPWC. You also need to be very careful of the ribbon cable that connects the cover to the internal circuit board.

BE CAREFUL...

+1 on this.
If you are truly desperate to charge at 80 Amps, take the cover off and put a stand-up fan blowing on the guts of the unit then crank the amps up to 80. Have a backup plan though (14-50) and be aware that there will be exposed 240V with the cover off. I actually think that if you were to remove the cover and then hang it by the built-in tab at the top of the cover that would also work and would protect the exposed hot wires inside and you could leave the cover semi-attached. This would allow it to breath and lower the internal temps to the fuses should survive 80 amp charging.

However there is some danger in this plan with the exposed electrified internals of the HPWC. You also need to be very careful of the ribbon cable that connects the cover to the internal circuit board.

BE CAREFUL...

This afternoon I will probably have to do this. Luckily, when they provided my fuse (which actually blew at 60amps of charging), and since they wouldn't install it (I did it, pretty simple), I got an extra spare. I hadn't thought of a fan blowing across it, but I can do that. I live in a pretty good climate, so it will only be 70-75 in the garage.

Let's just hope they figure out how to fix this once and for all. We know they have on the installed ones. I did hear they were shipping out around 4,000 hangars, so it would appear they have 4,000 HPWC out there, which is not an insignificant number.

-jason

I was calling once a week. Two weeks ago the Rockville SC received ~5 new fuse sets. Had I not called I sincerely doubt I would have heard a thing. I'm glad I had them today, too. My sister in law went into early labor and I had to charge the car from 50% to 90% in a hurry.

Last I heard, there were many waiting for the fix. From what I've observed, though, it seems like it might be one of those "we'll fix it when it breaks" problems. 5.0 will reset the charge current to 80A, and unless you call the service center to get them to replace it (either because you know about it, or you blow the fuses), it doesn't appear they will track you down.

I had one of the "old" HPWC's that came the same day with my car in March.
After reading about the new fuses on this forum I emailed Menlo Park service the evening of Aug 13th about updating my HPWC.
A ranger came to my house the evening of the 16th and upgraded the fuses.

Just drop your local service center an email.

Last I heard, there were many waiting for the fix. From what I've observed, though, it seems like it might be one of those "we'll fix it when it breaks" problems. 5.0 will reset the charge current to 80A, and unless you call the service center to get them to replace it (either because you know about it, or you blow the fuses), it doesn't appear they will track you down.

So please let me get this straight for the "DA caucus."
When I get 5.0 I can still set the charging to 60 amps on the touchscreen correct?

The ability to set amps hasn't changed. It does sound like the default changed back to 80A though.

The automatic de-rating to 60A no longer occurs. If you set 60A as your custom charging rate, it will remain. If you set it up to 80A now, it will hold that value as your usual charging rate.