Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HUD with Yoke: Anybody tried this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla people. I was thinking about putting a yoke style steering wheel in y 2021 M3 Performance, but never saw the need since I had no Heads Up Display, and never like the ones being offered until now. I saw the Performance LCD below and was thinking: a Yoke steering wheel + this HUD just might be the combination I was looking for. Has anyone tried this HUD? I found it on Ali Express. Is it worth it? $500 (yoke) + $738 (HUD)? Let me know what you guys think. (link)
hud2.jpg
hud.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I like this design (Model S style) over the plain rectangle that juts up. Don't get me wrong, I would take either style, because I would like to have an infotainment cluster there, but this one looks more elegant and Tesla-ish.

I like this design (Model S style) over the plain rectangle that juts up. Don't get me wrong, I would take either style, because I would like to have an infotainment cluster there, but this one looks more elegant and Tesla-ish.
That's what I was thinking also ("looks more elegant and Tesla-ish"). But I usually wait for version 2 or 3, or a review or two to come out, before I spend that much money. But pairing this with a yoke steering wheel in a Model 3 might look damn good, and just like the Model S.

Model 3 - Yoke with this display​
Model S - Yoke and display​
3_yoke.jpg
s_yoke.jpg

Reactions: LBM4
Was just coming here to post about this HUD. Has anyone grabbed one yet? Nothing on YouTube that I could find, but I am really loving this look, just fearing the display itself is junk. Wondering is this is a complete one-piece replacement of the dash trim and hook up is similar to that of the other HUDs, single harness to the MCU?

Was just coming here to post about this HUD. Has anyone grabbed one yet? Nothing on YouTube that I could find, but I am really loving this look, just fearing the display itself is junk. Wondering is this is a complete one-piece replacement of the dash trim and hook up is similar to that of the other HUDs, single harness to the MCU?
I don't know if anyone plans to spend the $600-$1000 on this, in the hopes that it is quality and not junk?

That's what I was thinking also ("looks more elegant and Tesla-ish"). But I usually wait for version 2 or 3, or a review or two to come out, before I spend that much money. But pairing this with a yoke steering wheel in a Model 3 might look damn good, and just like the Model S.

Model 3 - Yoke with this display​
Model S - Yoke and display​

the problem is you still have the AP view on 40% of the main display so it just doesnt add anything without a collapsible AP view.

i saw one video on youtube where someone bought it. maybe just do a quick youtube search.
I dont think the unit is worth it coz it really just.... doesnt add anything apart from a speedo, battery and tire pressure.

i saw one video on youtube where someone bought it. maybe just do a quick youtube search.
I dont think the unit is worth it coz it really just.... doesnt add anything apart from a speedo, battery and tire pressure.
Found this one, the audio is in German, but it’s a full install and overview of the display. The dash is not one piece which is a deal breaker for me. I do love the look of the unit, hopefully a gen 2 comes out with more features, I would definitely be interested.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Why is this a HUD? It seems like a HDD, a head-down-display. I'd like something that augments what I'm seeing. Overlays the AutoPilot display on the windshield, so I can tell what the FSD computer is and isn't seeing, without having to glance away from the road.

Why is this a HUD? It seems like a HDD, a head-down-display. I'd like something that augments what I'm seeing. Overlays the AutoPilot display on the windshield, so I can tell what the FSD computer is and isn't seeing, without having to glance away from the road.
I echo most of your sentiment, I’d like to see more features incorporated into the display for it to be worth the hassle. Aesthetically, aside from the split dash piece, I do like the way this is incorporated, out of all the available “HUD”-type displays this one looks the most OEM. If it had car play or android auto it could potentially sweeten the pot, but the wireless CarPlay on these things is spotty at best.

Found this one, the audio is in German, but it’s a full install and overview of the display. The dash is not one piece which is a deal breaker for me. I do love the look of the unit, hopefully a gen 2 comes out with more features, I would definitely be interested.

ah yes that was it.

edit: the HUD thing is something which has been perpetuated by chinese vendors. its obviously not a HUD. but they dont seem to realize that and its kinda the official term now....

I love the look of this display. The only thing holding me back is Tesla. After reading about this guys who burnt his main computer after adding a Hansshow SR+ Audio Upgrade DIY Kit and Tesla Service Center is charging him $2200 to replace it, voiding his warranty. Read about it on Reddit.

I am scared to add anything to the electronics of my 2021 Model 3 Performance that could void the warranty.

The thing that makes me want to consider this is that you can set its right screen to display your current and trip details including efficiency. You can also switch it to display tire pressure.

If only they'd add easy seat heater and defroster display and control it would go a long way to restoring the easy controls Tesla took away in the last update!