TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New in 7.1: Audio muted at every start

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by zwede, Jan 20, 2016.

1. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

So is it just me or is this some new feature? Whenever I get into the car the audio is muted and I have to un-mute it. A bit annoying.

2. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Haha. And then there are the ones complaining that it's always playing. Poor engineers. Can't win.:biggrin:

I haven't seen this though. Mine still seems to be always playing. I would prefer the mute, actually.

3. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

This is bizarre. I just complained to Tesla that when I pause the audio in Slacker or USB music files, it always unpauses the audio after the car sits for about 20 minutes. If I play an album on the USB drive, the car starts playing the last song in the album. Many other people have complained about this on other threads. Your car has exactly opposite behavior.

4. PaulR

PaulR Member

I had complained in the past that when I would get out of the car and "pause or mute" the music (from any source) that as soon as I re-opened the car later the music would begin to blast away at me. This has changed and now when I mute it upon exit, it does stay muted until I un-mute or un-pause it. The only thing odd I find is that sometimes it seems to un-mute by skipping to the beginning of the next song on my USB list, even if I had muted it in the middle of a song.

Not perfect, but, at least I don't get music blasting at me until I really want it to....

5. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

It's just broken. The muting is random. The XM radio station gets lost and goes back to a menu. You can't select "Now Playing." When it does mute, unmuting does not work - you need to mute again then unmute.

Don't they ever test this code in a car?

6. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

After having it mute every time I drove the car all last week, today it was not muted when I got into the car. So yeah, I guess it's random.

7. Got-EMF

Got-EMF Member

Mine is not "muted", it just deselects any audio input about half the time. I rebooted both the IC & console. Things okay for a few trips, then no audio again. Muting, unmuting, changing fm stations, am, blue tooth to phone, still no audio. Console reboot, audio back for trip home! Need to redownload update?

8. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I've seen this also. I was listening to FM, shut car off and next time the "select source" screen was up, with no audio selected.

As a SW dev I know regressions are the worst. It's one thing that a new feature is buggy, it's much harder explaining to a customer why something that has worked for years suddenly stops working. I feel for the Tesla devs, I'm sure they're being chewed out.

9. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

That happens to me frequently. I just assumed it was flaky Bluetooth behavior -- I'm normally controlling music or podcasts through my phone because the TuneIn podcast software is horrible.

10. Got-EMF

Got-EMF Member

And it's not just your own code that can go wrong. Most developers rely upon many third party libraries. These go through "updates" as well. I remember Microsoft releasing buggy "C" libraries many years ago.
    "Due to improvements, no longer functional."