TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New info about wheel/tire choice in Design Studio.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by goneskiian, Feb 17, 2016.

1. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Was just browsing the studio and noticed some new information. All wheel choices now say they are "Equipped with summer tires." Yes, even the 20" wheels.

The 22" wheels have the added info saying, "Exchanges about 10-15% range for enhanced handling."

Black Onyx wheels are still showing, "Deliveries begin mid 2016."

Cheers!

2. CarlK

CarlK Member

10~15% is quite significant. I wonder what gives. I've never heard that in the S case.

3. timf

timf Member

I wonder if the tire information has been posted erroneously or if they are planning to switch suppliers. The Continental tires included on the 20" wheels are marketed as all-season tires, so I'm not sure what would prompt Tesla to say they include summer tires. Was this on all configurations or just Performance?

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Great question!

Went back and checked. It's just the P90D that shows "Summer Tires" for all wheel choices. The 70D and 90D both show "All Season Tires" for all wheel choices. The 22" wheels still show the "Exchanges about 10-15% range for enhanced handling." phrase even with all season tires though.

Isn't this the same range hit they say the 21" wheels and tires will cause in the S?

5. CarlK

CarlK Member

The difference is probably from the rubber type rather than the rim size although I don't recall the range panelty, especially to that degree, has ever been mentioned for the MS PSII. My P85+ with 21" PSII has exactly the same 265 rated mile as other 85 far as I know.

6. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for the link. I'd forgotten it was so low.

Perhaps they are still gathering data on the X and being conservative with the estimates for now?

8. commasign

commasign Active Member

Wow! That means an X 70D with 20" wheels has about the same range as an X P90D Ludicrous with 22" wheels. Lets add that up: $4500 wheels + $10000 for 90kwh + $2500 required air suspension + $20000 performance + $10000 ludicrous = $47,000 upgrade to drop the 0-60mph from 6 seconds down to 3.2 seconds, but same range of about 220 miles.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Ouch. When you put it that way... :eek: :scared: :crying:

10. CaliX

CaliX Member

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has an X with 22" to see what the real loss is.

11. commasign

commasign Active Member

Lol, was my own self-justification for ordering an X 90D with 20" wheels and having to wait an extra half year. The wait is painful.

12. CarlK

CarlK Member

Not sure the numbers are right but it is still a great deal compares to anything you could get from an ICE car. $47K is not nearly enough to cover the upgrade from a 4.3s base 911 to a 3.2s 911 turbo.

13. Sweedy

Sweedy New Member

Also interesting that the 19"
    Winter weather wheel option just showed up in the MX online store, at least today was the first I noticed that!

14. SCModelX

SCModelX Member

Okay, fine... My NEXT X will be non P. For now, I just want the dang car!!! Then I can downgrade with the easy breezy attitude I wish I had now! Lol

15. MikeL

MikeL some guy

This is very distressing to me. The LAST thing I need or desire on my X is "summer" tires. Really was into side view cameras instead of mirrors, Nope. Actually wanted the car -main reason I began waiting- FOR its huge flat fold area, sorry. No, I don't want nor should I be required to spend addl $1000s on all season tires w their wheels that ought to already be on any car sold around here. But I WILL have to because it snows here, like tomorrow for example, and I could go somewhere any day, believe me I plan to, where "summer" tires are impractical and undesirable.
    Very Unhappy

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Sorry MikeL.

Sounds like they are already switching them out too.

17. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

you dont buy a SUV to get summer tires... lol...

18. spentan

spentan Active Member

Personally I would be happier with summer tires, as all-seasons are quite unnecessary here in California.

But I think that the choice should be provided. Buying a $150k car should buy you a small choice like this

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Don't forget the Tesla price of $675 per tire - so $2700 every 10,000 miles if the summer stickies hold up like the Model S's. :)

20. CaliX

CaliX Member

My guess is they are having trouble sourcing 22" Summer tires to give us the option. I did a quick check and they are very difficult to find.