Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New info about wheel/tire choice in Design Studio.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The decision to do so just baffled me. Having a performance series car doesn't automatically mean you want summer tires in winter. There's a reason I have a stack of Model S 21" wheels in my garage that hasn't been touched in 2 years.
Perhaps that's why they've also made the winter wheel and tire combo available in the online store at the same time.

I know not everyone does the seasonal wheel and tire swap but many do.

Living in NC with freezing temps but not a lot of snow, I want all-season tires. I DO NOT want to have to swap tires around or find a place to store extra tires all the time. Hopefully the change is either in error or the tires are location dependant, but I will contact my DS.

I don't know if it's a supply constraint or if they actually think they're doing us a favor... But that would be a dick move to switch to summer performance tires without consulting the customer -- for any of us who configured the 20" wheels being told they would come with the all-season tires.

My car should be very close to production or even started... I guess I'll talk to my DS and see what he knows. Gives me an excuse to check in. hehe

Not sure the numbers are right but it is still a great deal compares to anything you could get from an ICE car. $47K is not nearly enough to cover the upgrade from a 4.3s base 911 to a 3.2s 911 turbo.

Actually, you're right! The upgrade from 70kwh to 90kwh battery is $13000, not $10000. So final price is $50,000 to upgrade from the 70kwh base model with 20" wheels to the 90kwh performance ludicrous model with 22" wheels, dropping the 0-60 from 6.0 seconds down to 3.2 seconds, but with the same range of approximately 220 miles.

I don't know if it's a supply constraint or if they actually think they're doing us a favor... But that would be a dick move to switch to summer performance tires without consulting the customer -- for any of us who configured the 20" wheels being told they would come with the all-season tires.

My car should be very close to production or even started... I guess I'll talk to my DS and see what he knows. Gives me an excuse to check in. hehe

At least one would hope if you're getting the "sub-zero weather package" option like I am, it will come with all-season tires like when I configured it. I need them to drive it to Tahoe in winter.

I'll contact my DS about the tires on my vehicle. He emailed me 2 days ago (Feb. 17th):

"I have some exciting news! Your Model X has entered the early stages of production. When your vehicle enters the final stages of production, I will be reaching out again. At that time we will have a better gauge of when to expect the vehicle.

Within the next few weeks, we need to finalize your payment method on the vehicle. How did you plan on paying for the vehicle? Financing, leasing or paying in full?

I look forward to hearing from you!
"

When I replied asking if I should apply for the lease now (avoid more than one credit hit), he replied:

"When your vehicle is entering the later stages of production, that is when we will begin finalizing your payment methods. I hope this information helps."

All season tires are still available for the 20 inch without the P option. Once you select the P option both 20 and 22 inch become summer tires.

That pretty much makes no sense for several markets. Kinda like engle says above, that for those with the cold weather package, that could or even should be a determining factor. In my area, no one sells summer tires on a SUV/CUV. We have pretty nice weather much of the year, but lots of variable road conditions. This just seems like an odd thing to do, especially if they end up changing the tires for those of us who already configured under the information t hat we would get the all-season tires.

If I was told up front that I would get summer tires on either size wheel, I would have ordered the 22's and then picked up aftermarket 19's or 20's with all-season or snow tires. As it was, the plan was to go with the 20's with all-seasons for now and see what options for aftermarket 22's showed up... OTOH, I really don't know how often I'll be in to switching out wheel sets. It's typically a pain in the ass around here and I've blown enough tires and ruined enough rims with super low profile tires like on the 22's. I don't know how much I'll tow with the X, but I did order the tow package. I don't want to tow much with 22's on there, also another reason I ordered the 20's and also another reason to not have summer tires.

Hopefully I get some sort of info this week from my DS. Not so sure I'm understanding why they would deliver here with summer tires, especially if I take delivery in March, which is typically our snowiest month.

On well-kept, smoothly paved roads that are free of gravel and all the other hazards we typically have here, I would agree that summer tires would be nice. Doesn't really jive with reality.

I have the same view as most others. We get our fair share of snow and ice, and part of our decision to go with 20" wheels was so that it would be able to handle better in the snow. Now we have to purchase all-season tires in order to use the car the way we want to, i.e. without having to worry about swapping/storing tires during the year.

When I first saw this thread, I contacted my DS and after he did some digging, he gave me the following reply:
"On performance vehicles, we put high performance summer tires. This is the same if you purchase Model S or Model X.
If you order a 70D or 90D with 20” rims, you get all season tires. If you order a P90D, you get high performance tires such that the vehicle can perform as described on our website. If you’d like all season or winter tires on the vehicle, you could buy an extra set and then sell them online after your lease is up. "

It sounds reasonable I suppose, but I feel like at least there should be some choice here since this change has come up after orders are already confirmed.

10~15% is quite significant. I wonder what gives. I've never heard that in the S case.

For Model-S going with 21" is a 3% impact. It's well documented on Tesla site right there: Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

I'm actually glad that they've raised the impact figure on the larger wheels. In my experience, the efficiency hit is much closer to the 10-15% figure than 3% (about 30Wh/km).

Don't forget the Tesla price of $675 per tire - so $2700 every 10,000 miles if the summer stickies hold up like the Model S's. :)

LOL! Does anybody here actually buy their tires from Tesla?

IMO "all-season" tires, aren't. While I certainly agree that they're better in the snow/ice than summer performance tires, anyone driving in the snow/ice should have proper snow tires.

Funny you should say that. Canadian tire shop Kal Tire is currently running an ad campaign where they apologize to their American friends for re-labeling their all-season tires to what they really are; 3-season tires (https://youtu.be/3FD98t_nwNM)

Interestingly, the production Model X I saw this morning at the SC had 22" wheels and Goodyear Eagle tires of some variety. I should have looked harder but I didn't. The Sig with 20s had the Continental "all-season" tires.

Also, at the risk of being yelled at, I think perhaps someone should point out that, in the event your Mode X doesn't come with tires appropriate to your region, suitable replacements can be had. In fact, I've already ordered Nokian WRG3s for our's.

Yelling: how is it possible that a car company could consider it in any way appropriate to deliver a XUV to mountain country without all season tires?! Also, consider that pretty much anyone, anywhere, any day can drive to mountain country at which point their car is rendered useless if there's "bad" weather & they're stuck with "summer" tires. Uugh. You guys have no idea how much it pains me to be upset with Tesla Motors, but this is ridiculous, Ludicrous! :rolleyes: In my case, it's only insane.
It's called Summit County for a reason. It can snow there in July. The Model X is an SUV, or so I've been led to believe. Summer tires?! Uugh

Yelling: how is it possible that a car company could consider it in any way appropriate to deliver a XUV to mountain country without all season tires?! Also, consider that pretty much anyone, anywhere, any day can drive to mountain country at which point their car is rendered useless if there's "bad" weather & they're stuck with "summer" tires. Uugh. You guys have no idea how much it pains me to be upset with Tesla Motors, but this is ridiculous, Ludicrous! :rolleyes: In my case, it's only insane.
It's called Summit County for a reason. It can snow there in July. The Model X is an SUV, or so I've been led to believe. Summer tires?! Uugh

performance truck. Performance tired. My X5M was delivered with hard core summer tires. Half inch of snow and it was useless.

Living in NC with freezing temps but not a lot of snow, I want all-season tires. I DO NOT want to have to swap tires around or find a place to store extra tires all the time. Hopefully the change is either in error or the tires are location dependant, but I will contact my DS.

My plan is to go for an all weather tire option, no swapping over BS every 6 months. That is if I can find them in 20". Largest I have found so far are the 19" WRG3 which is my favourite AW tire.

I've always felt that all-seasons (aka 3-season) tires were not sufficient for snowy climates. Delivery with Summer Tires is actually preferable to me, since I plan on having a winter set too.

All the more reason the client should be given the choice, or at least it be geographically tied. Areas that actually get regular snow/ice would want summer/winter tires vs. places that rarely do (and overall light amounts) might do fine with all seasons because even with summers, the driver just isn't going to buy a second set.

We live in NC and we drive in snow about 2-4 days per year on average. My question is this: How much worse will summer tires be on the dual motor X than all-season tires? 5%? 50%? Also, any idea what the life expectancy is for all season vs summer tires?

proven, bikeandsail has said it hands down.

I don't know how Charlotte weather compares to Raleigh, but I would do all seasons around here. My S and 4Runner on all seasons do great in Hickory and good in Boone (if I am careful). With summer tires, I would have problems even around Charlotte due to cold days making the rubber very hard. I would suggest you do all seasons if you use one tire year-round. Otherwise, I wouldn't even drive in Charlotte on summer tires from Dec - March.