TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New info from my Tesla 'dealer/genius'

Discussion in 'Model S' started by goyogi, Dec 31, 2011.

1. goyogi

goyogi Member

So I just came back from the Santana Row store. They have a black signature series beta 2.0 on display with black leather and piano black accents. If you REALLY like black this is your car. ;) A few interesting things he shared with me. The performance version is going to get a spoiler in the back as well as they are working on an updated hood for it to help differentiate that it's the performance version.

They are still working on the finishing touches and from what he knew the Signature series is still going to get some little extras like upgraded hand stitching in the leather. He wasn't sure of anything else.

Test rides and more factory events are coming. (We already knew that). And they will be getting models for test drives at the Santana Row and Menlo Park stores "soon". He said maybe even at the factory so you can take it on the high speed test loop, but that wasn't for sure.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This is good news. I'd love to take it around the track once if they end up doing that.

3. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I can't imagine their insurance would cover "civilians" driving on the high speed test loop.

A spoiler on the Sport would be nice. Probably a small one like Mercedes puts on their AMG models.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It'd probably be the same deal when you sign up for one of those high performance driving schools. You'd sign all kinds of things, wear a helmet and you'd have someone sitting in the passenger seat with you and you'd be the only one out on the track.

5. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

You never know... They may think that is a better option than trying to maneuver it in Santana Row traffic or getting it up to freeway speeds on a packed I-280...

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

#6 ckessel, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
    Man I'd love the sport, but it's just so much more than the model I want given I'd rather have 19" wheels. It's +12k. *sigh* I simply can't afford it, I'm already stretching and then some. I could, in theory, drop the tech package, peal white, and sound, and only be +4k, but then I'd be losing out on options I'd really like. The extra performance just wouldn't be worth giving up those other options.

If it was, say, +6k or so, I'd get it.

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

ckessel, you only live once (and then you're dead). Borrow it, sell stuff, take on a bit more work, whatever it takes. You have at least six or nine months to come up with something. Then you'll have exactly the car of your dreams!

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yea, I try to say that, but it's expensive enough I'd feel regret on it. I've got a wife, kids in college, etc. I refuse to take on debt period beyond my house unless it's a survival necessity. I hear what you're saying, I do, but all things held in balance, I wouldn't feel good about it. Add to the fact it's really increases my tire costs and reduce tire longevity, it costs a lot more long term too.

That doesn't stop me from daydreaming on it though.

9. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Not if you downgrade to the 19" aero wheels. Plus, you could postpone the purchase 'til 2013.

I'm only buying this car once, so I'm buying exactly the one I want. I may end up having to borrow $20-$30k, but that'll be paid off quickly, since it would be a priority for me.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Spoiler on what is effectively a hatch? Any pics of the car? Especially interior?

11. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

The way it's designed, unless you knew exactly what to look for, you couldn't tell that it's a hatchback. It's not like it's a Nissan Leaf or something. :smile:

12. goyogi

goyogi Member

It already has a mild spoiler
    http://www.teslamotors.com/models/gallery#5
    But I guess it will something a little more aggressive. I can see it.
    I was leaning towards the standard model but I'd be interested in seeing the final version if it has bad arse looks. So far I am pleased with the exterior design.

Sorry I didn't take pics of the interior. They did allow me to sit in it though it was roped off. I got wowed by the touchscreens and talking to my friends I had lunch with at Santana Row. I purposely chose the lunch venue. =) I think this is going to be there till the final version is released if someone wants to go and get an update. He did say the center armrest was still not final and that it was taken from Mercedes till they finalized theirs. The leather on the doors and dash areas is nice but still not polished. I also noticed they had accent lighting on the door illuminating the armrest/door pull which is nice. I forgot to check the vents. That was one thing that was noticeably shoddy on the previous beta I saw.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#13 AnOutsider, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah, I suppose if done right, and subtle, it can work. I wonder if they're putting new things into the current batch of cars, sending them to stores, getting feedback and then revising? Seems the smartest thing to do, and Tesla is a Silicon Valley company after all -- rapid prototyping and revision is in their blood.

*edit*

Sort of hard to see, but this is the best pic I have. Here's the Spoiler on my old GLI:

l.jpg

I can see something similar working here:

styling-hero.jpg

Perhaps someone can photoshop it.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Little spoiler on Lexus GS:
    [​IMG]

15. kgb

kgb Member

A super charger bump or a scoop on the hood would be so tongue-in-cheek. :wink:

16. goyogi

goyogi Member

I was thinking the same thing. I always imagine how aliens laugh at how crude our putt-putt automobiles are making all that noise and having all these air scoops for cooling these hot engines. A UFO would have a smooth slippery exterior and quiet and fast...hey, sounds like an electric car we know. ;)

Perhaps instead a carbon fiber insert? I really like the black vents on the white roadster.

17. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I asked the Asst. Mgr. at the Park Meadows store if it was possible to get the performance platform with standard Signature trim. No carbon fiber, spoiler, etc...He asked HQ. They're thinking about it. No word yet.

18. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

A wolf in sheep's clothing?

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

If the spoiler and other accents have the usual carbon fiber color/pattern, one might want to consider that in choosing the body color.

20. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

0-60 in 5.6s is no sheep :). Maybe a cheetah in wolf's clothing?