TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Infomation from First Drive Reviews

Discussion in 'Model S' started by epley, Jun 25, 2012.

1. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

This thread is to put to rest all those little things we have wanted to know but have been unavailable until now that the cars are getting into the hands of reviewers and customers. Post your tidbits here!

Tidbit 1: the car uses an accelerometer to tell itself when to put on the brakelights when slowing using regen (brilliant).

Tidbit 2: each display is powered by Tesla's own OS running on a Tegra 3 SoC -- both computers communicate via Ethernet and a gateway provides an interface with the vehicle's ECU.

Tidbit 3: the screen is easy to read in direct sunlight.

Tidbit 4: on the "key" car, pressing the frunk opens the frunk, pressing the trunk opens the trunk and pressing the roof unlocks the car.

Tisbit 5: the door handles open upon touch and close when the car is put in gear.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Good idea. Might also be a good idea to link to where/how you found the information. I know the accelerometer bit was from the engadget review, but I didn't catch where it was established Tesla built their own OS (we've been speculating for a while). I do think it was known re: the key though.

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I guess it is still Linux based. Writing your own OS is a LOT of work, seriously.

Internal comm via ethernet/IP is cool! Wonder if you can poll diag data via IP out of the car :)

4. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

@AnOutsider:

Good idea!

Tidbit 1: the car uses an accelerometer to tell itself when to put on the brakelights when slowing using regen (brilliant).
    Tesla Model S first drive: the sports sedan goes electric (update: video) -- Engadget

Tidbit 2: each display is powered by Tesla's own OS running on a Tegra 3 SoC -- both computers communicate via Ethernet and a gateway provides an interface with the vehicle's ECU.
    Tesla Model S first drive: the sports sedan goes electric (update: video) -- Engadget

Tidbit 3: the screen is easy to read in direct sunlight.
    and
    Tesla Model S: First drive of the electric sedan that will change the world or die trying | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Tidbit 4: on the "key" car, pressing the frunk opens the frunk, pressing the trunk opens the trunk and pressing the roof unlocks the car.
    Tesla Model S: First drive of the electric sedan that will change the world or die trying | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
    and

Tisbit 5: the door handles open upon touch and close when the car is put in gear.
    Tesla Model S first drive: Quiet satisfaction | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
    and
    Great pictures of the handles here.

5. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

This article goes back to it being Android-based:

2012 Tesla Model S First Drive and Video

7. olanmills

olanmills Member

I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw this, but one of the reviews said that the number of LED's lit in the ring around the charge port would indicate how much charge was left in the battery.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I believe it was the Engadget review. It was definitely one of the earlier ones.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

My understanding is it's Linux based and is from Nvidia.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Running Tesla. (not the car company)

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Why is that better than colors?
    Roadster colors just tell you:

Open (white)
    Ready (blue)
    Charging (yellow) speed of blinking gives an indication how full the battery is
    Full (green)
    Problem (red)

So does the Model S change speed of blinking to quantity of lamps lit?

12. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Can I have some love for those of us that are color blind?

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Do you mean running on TEGra ?
    Badge_Tegra_3D.jpg

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nice caps. :p

15. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

MmmmmHmmmmm.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, we talked with one of the firmware developers. He said the Linux-based OS was provided by Nvidia as part of their chipset package.

17. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Then why do we keep seeing periodic news articles saying that the software is Android based? I don't ask because I assume you know the answer necessarily.

18. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

All I can say is this "get your tech news from tech news sites". The other general news sites make big mistakes all the time and don't know it. It would be analogous to getting weather information from Engadget like this: "Today's Engadget weather forecast calls for high fan speeds, warm boots in the north and a low memory pressure system moving in from the valley".

For tech news about Model S, it's either here (TMC), Engadget, TechCrunch, GigaOM or TheVerge. I've lost faith in Gawker Media (Gizmodo/Jalopnik) to be a good source of tech information.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

20. grommet

grommet Member