Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Install Clipping/Not Installed Correctly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great. That will take care of the clipping issue. Now keep an eye out for your Delta inverter shutting down when slightly shaded because of bad firmware that they've been promising to fix for about a year now.

Are those the L1N over voltage or the arc fault error?

I had those errors along with other issues with my PW/gateway..... And then one day after I power cycled my PV my solar CT on aux meter disappeared. I contacted Tesla and their Tier 2 remote login to my system and fixed it. Since then my inverter didn't see those error anymore.

Now it's only a few days so I need to wait for more data to confirm, but when I look at the solar graph it is a nice bell curve without any drop in output, where before it will error out and have a drop in output and won't come back on after 5 to 30 mins....

I am guessing something on the gateway FW wasn't loaded properly and that cause the issue with the inverter? And when Tesla remote login to my gateway they somehow fixed it and aren't causing more error on the gateway now? The Tesla CS I talked to didn't know much detail so he couldn't tell me what the Tier 2 did to fix my system

Looks like Tesla has been playing with my system. I now get a no server light on the gateway although I am seeing data on the App. The system file in the inverter has been updated and it shows the correct daily amount but the graph on the inverter is missing all the morning data, presumably everything before the update. Tesla app shows a couple of spikes up above 4.1kw but I can’t see those on the M Tools app to confirm the data whether the second string provided the extra power or if they tweaked something on the working string to get the power spike.

Attachments

• 2217C213-30F4-4DF9-A5D8-3CDD8AE3EED2.jpeg
    2217C213-30F4-4DF9-A5D8-3CDD8AE3EED2.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 65
  • E2BA3237-B309-4C7F-BA42-1C82101A3790.png
    E2BA3237-B309-4C7F-BA42-1C82101A3790.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 43
Does your inverter have wifi? Mine only got bluetooth LTE and I don't think Tesla have a way to remote into your inverter otherwise....

My inverter power version is on 1.5.9 too... So see if they are upgrading that?

Bluetooth LE but it communicates with their gateway so they must have a way to go backwards that way. You can see the system number has changed from my earlier posts. It is now 3.1.7 and it was 2.2.xx. The two drops in production are when the inverter restarted and synced. One happened while I was out there looking at the data with M Tool. No one came by the house and I am not scheduled for service for almost a month so they must have some way in through the gateway. Which means through my internet/network which is a little scary.

That is on the M Professional app as it orders a fresh sync as part of its testing to make sure everything is working. One of the reasons I will likely stay away from that app unless outside of operating hours.

Here are some screenshots of the service appointment log.

Attachments

• 2F5DA4AD-2500-4D4E-A0F3-25EA973A11F7.jpeg
    2F5DA4AD-2500-4D4E-A0F3-25EA973A11F7.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 52
  • CD09CC01-9810-48EC-BFA7-0F3841173573.jpeg
    CD09CC01-9810-48EC-BFA7-0F3841173573.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 049E9B5B-770B-4572-94FF-21C9FFE277E9.jpeg
    049E9B5B-770B-4572-94FF-21C9FFE277E9.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 44
Tesla just reached out asking me to schedule service through the App. First available time 3+ weeks out. I’ll grab some screen shots later of the log attached to the appointment specifying what needs to be done when they come out..
Have you always had the option in the app to schedule service for your solar system? We see it for our cars but it doesn't show up for our solar system/Powerwalls.

I think the inverter (and powerblaster if you have one) communicates to the gateway via zigbee (not your wifi) unless you have a direct ethernet connection which is uncommon.

Yes, but for them to access the inverter remotely to push a firmware update would require them to come through the internet to my modem, then my router, then the gateway, then through BTLE to the inverter. I have opened a path for information to go out so it gets to the app but it would be nice if it was clearly stated that this is also a path in for Tesla. It should just be my solar but I’m sure some hacker could piggyback something for the gateway and jump into my network.

Unless they have another way to push updates through BTLE without being onsite standing next to my inverter. I have found anything more than 10ft won’t connect through M Tools.

Yes, but for them to access the inverter remotely to push a firmware update would require them to come through the internet to my modem, then my router, then the gateway, then through BTLE to the inverter. I have opened a path for information to go out so it gets to the app but it would be nice if it was clearly stated that this is also a path in for Tesla. It should just be my solar but I’m sure some hacker could piggyback something for the gateway and jump into my network.

Unless they have another way to push updates through BTLE without being onsite standing next to my inverter. I have found anything more than 10ft won’t connect through M Tools.

I'm surprised you're surprised about this. In the Tesla app you can make adjustments to the system (like changing the Powerwall behavior), they have a mechanism to push changes. Hopefully it is encrypted and authenticated.

I don’t have a power wall. There are no adjustments I can make for just solar. I know it is one app but just something they should make more prominent when telling you about the gateway. They basically said plug this in so the app can receive data from your system. No mention about sending things to the system. Would have helped when I was talking to them if they could have done restart/sync, which they asked me to do at one point which is pointless if they can do that remotely.

Great. That will take care of the clipping issue. Now keep an eye out for your Delta inverter shutting down when slightly shaded because of bad firmware that they've been promising to fix for about a year now.

Looks like the inverter update they remotely pushed takes care of the shading issue. Definitely got new late afternoon production today than in the past week. I think it’s such a sharp drop because half of the system isn’t working. It would be more gradual with 12 more panels producing. I am not sure what the split is for the panels as far as which ones are on which string. I would reach out to Tesla to see if they can push the new inverter software to you. You can see the new version in my previous post of the M Tools screenshot.

Attachments

• 6BAA16D6-C69E-4603-A4D2-04C8E8D67BA5.png
    6BAA16D6-C69E-4603-A4D2-04C8E8D67BA5.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 43