Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New install of 14-50 outlet only charging at 16a for Standard Range Plus RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voucher2002

"You can observe a lot by just watching"...YB
May 31, 2019
Round Rock, Texas
Just had a new install of a 14-50 outlet with a 50a GFCI breaker with #6 Romex wire. I'm connected to the outlet with the Tesla 14-50 extension to the supplied Tesla power cable. I thought that I should be getting 32a instead of the 16a the car is currently charging at. The Tesla app says "Limited Charging" Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly. I checked and all connections seem snug and tight. Any thoughts?

Just had a new install of a 14-50 outlet with a 50a GFCI breaker with #6 Romex wire. I'm connected to the outlet with the Tesla 14-50 extension to the supplied Tesla power cable. I thought that I should be getting 32a instead of the 16a the car is currently charging at. The Tesla app says "Limited Charging" Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly. I checked and all connections seem snug and tight. Any thoughts?

This has nothing to do with your 14-50. The issue is with the UMC connection to your car. It is not successfully locking in and so it limits charge current to 16 amps to avoid an arc flash if you disconnect it while under load.

A number of folks have reported this recently with vehicles. Tesla has some tolerance issue between the Mobile Connector and the chareg ports. Someone else said they went back to the service center and the service center tried several until they found one that worked.

I previously had been using the 110 outlet in the garage and was receiving the same message. I just thought that it was because of the low amps. Just took forever to charge up at 4-5 miles per hour. The car is parked at the very end of the suggest "arc" for the location of the outlet. Could that be the problem?

Actually I tried my local Supercharger in Laurel Md a few days ago and I was only able to charge at 44kwh.? Is this too slow? No error message was received. see image
IMG_3266.jpg

Actually I tried my local Supercharger in Laurel Md a few days ago and I was only able to charge at 44kwh.? Is this too slow? No error message was received. see imageView attachment 424732

In this case your battery was too full to accept full charge rates and it may not have been warmed up enough for full charge rates and you may have been sharing a supercharger pair of stalls with another car. So I think that is totally unrelated to this home issue.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
Your issue is the car not locking on to the UMC cord. Play with it a bit to see if you can get it to fully lock in (plug and unplug it several times).
Try a little silicone spray lube on the male end of your connector, specifically at the notch that the car's locking mechanism grabs. Plug and unplug it a few times to spread the lube over the contact surface.
71wW50LI57L._SY445_.jpg

I read on another forum that the SR and SR+ have two charging modules where the SR long range has three charging modules. Could that be the problem because twice 16 equals 32 at 240 and my experience with the Supercharger where i only got 44. (3? at x1=48). see images in previous post.

I read on another forum that the SR and SR+ have two charging modules where the SR long range has three charging modules. Could that be the problem because twice 16 equals 32 at 240 and my experience with the Supercharger where i only got 44. (3? at x1=48). see images in previous post.

Supercharging bypasses the built in chargers.

I previously had been using the 110 outlet in the garage and was receiving the same message.
This supports the problem being with the car socket, EVSE plug connection as oppressed to the wall outlet, 14-50 plug.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I had the exact same problem. The connector from the charger wouldn't go all the way in to the car. It took about 2 days but then all the sudden I was able to charge at 32amp. You can test this out by going to a public charger and using your adapter.

Tried "playing" with it and it finally locked on. Green go to go. Thanks all. But if I continue to have problems I'll take it in.
This comes up kind of frequently here, and is fairly understandable what's going on. Someone gets a new fancy piece of technology, and so they want to be very extra careful with it and not damage it. So when pushing the charge cable in, they very gently slide the charging plug in, but as soon as it seems to get some resistance and not want to go in farther, they stop pressing, because they are afraid of breaking the delicate mechanisms there.

Unfortunately, that is what makes it not work. The plug fitting in the port may be a little bit tight, which is making it tough. What actually helps is to get it started partway in, and then finish it off with a pretty firm shove. That will make sure it gets to lock the plug in tightly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and brkaus