Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey all,

2 Powerwall 2s installed at my place yesterday. Fast install, 4 hours and done. Guy came by today to commission and test the off grid scenario. Told app access within 25 hours, great. Go home nought to find the LAN UI shows 98% full, but we are pulling all from grid. Do I have to have app access to have battery start kicking in?

If this is a Powerwall only install, then it only acts as a Whole Home Backup, so what you're seeing is correct.

I'm in the same boat, but what I've been doing since Sept 2017 is at 6am I flip the main breaker to take me off the grid. This means my entire home runs off the Powerwall. At 11pm, I flip the breaker, and my Powerwall chargers.

This is what you're looking for. At this time the PowerwallOS 1.x doesn't support Time of Use (ToU) which is what I describe above, so I've been doing it manually, twice a day since September.

PowerwallOS 2.0 will be arriving starting March 1st, and the entire customer base will be upgraded by March 31st. When that happens, you should be able to schedule ToU using your Tesla iPhone app so you don't have to flip the breaker.

Reactions: Torqueria
Yes, app access is required. Check to see if you are set up to keep 100% in case of power grid failure (Backup-only). It is the 4th option on the app, you will want to check the Self-powered circle and set a reserve.

For Powerwall with no PV customers, here is what we see.

IMG_1589.PNG
IMG_1590.PNG
IMG_1589.PNG

That should bring you what you want.
I'm pretty sure all he wants to do is use the battery instead of power from the grid. When you are installed (and have PV) the default is Backup-only, you need to change it to Self-powered and pick a reserve level you want in case of grid failure. So he is simulating a grid failure by turning off the breaker and going into Backup-only mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker