Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Installation with 2 PW+, very low peak and daily solar production.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new issue has arise today.

I noticed that when my powerwalls reaches 100% charge, one of my inverters shuts down and only one continues exporting energy to the grid, causing me to lose almost half of my daily production.

If my consumption through the day is high enough to prevent the batteries to fully charge they both continue to work at full capacity but as soon as they are fully charge one shuts down and is always the same one, cutting capacity in half.

I tried changing the “Backup Reserve” setting to 100% backup and it didn’t help, as long as the batteries are fully charged, only one inverter continues working and exporting excess energy to the grid and the other ones shuts down.

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening?

Thanks

A new issue has arise today.

I noticed that when my powerwalls reaches 100% charge, one of my inverters shuts down and only one continues exporting energy to the grid, causing me to lose almost half of my daily production.

If my consumption through the day is high enough to prevent the batteries to fully charge they both continue to work at full capacity but as soon as they are fully charge one shuts down and is always the same one, cutting capacity in half.

I tried changing the “Backup Reserve” setting to 100% backup and it didn’t help, as long as the batteries are fully charged, only one inverter continues working and exporting excess energy to the grid and the other ones shuts down.

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening?

Thanks
I would ask the installers. Just guessing, but perhaps your electric company has a limitation on how much power back they can handle.

I would ask the installers. Just guessing, but perhaps your electric company has a limitation on how much power back they can handle.
Hi! No, where I live there is no limit on how much you can export

Tesla has made many adjustments and sent many remote resets to the system but the problem persist.

Everyday, as soon as the batteries are fully charged, one inverter immediately shuts down. If I increase the home load and start discharging the batteries, eventually it comes back online once the batteries dip under 98%.

One day, Tesla did something remotely and it produced and exported excess energy correctly all afternoon with both inverters operating correctly.

However, the problem returned next day.

They are monitoring the system remotely and trying different solutions but so far nobody seems to know why that inverter is shutting down once batteries are full instead of continuing exporting like it should.

I’ll report back any updates…

Update! It has been almost a month since my system was commissioned and I’m still having problems.

One of my inverters keeps shutting down immediately after the batteries are fully charged. The other inverter continues to work and export excess energy to the grid.

For some reason, the other inverter does not export any energy to the grid and only comes back online if the batteries discharge under 100% and shuts down again once they are charged.

I have net metering therefore I am loosing almost 40% of my production capacity since the batteries normally reach a 100% SOC before 11AM amd after that the system keeps working with only one inverter.

My installer says that Tesla needs to remove the export limitation from that inverter via software update but so far they have not done it.

Tesla says that I have to call my installer since they can’t do that remotely.

I’ll report back once we find a solution.

Update! It has been almost a month since my system was commissioned and I’m still having problems.

One of my inverters keeps shutting down immediately after the batteries are fully charged. The other inverter continues to work and export excess energy to the grid.

For some reason, the other inverter does not export any energy to the grid and only comes back online if the batteries discharge under 100% and shuts down again once they are charged.

I have net metering therefore I am loosing almost 40% of my production capacity since the batteries normally reach a 100% SOC before 11AM amd after that the system keeps working with only one inverter.

My installer says that Tesla needs to remove the export limitation from that inverter via software update but so far they have not done it.

Tesla says that I have to call my installer since they can’t do that remotely.

I’ll report back once we find a solution.
Hello everyone! Just letting everyone know that after a lot of troubleshooting we could finally fix the issues affecting my installation and causing one of the inverters to shut down.

Tesla sent a technician to my house and he spent all morning troubleshooting the system. They noticed that the inverter logs where showing high impedance readings causing the inverter to shut down. After measuring impedance at different locations, they found that it was high caused by the wiring from the utility to my house coming from a transformer that was very far away.

After the wiring was relocated to a transformer that is much closer to my meter, the issue was resolved.

However, that was a couple of months ago when my peak production was much lower than it is now.

After peak production started to come back up from the lowest in november and december, the same issue started happening again which left me scratching my head!

I started troubleshooting again but this time the problem was much easier to identify since it was happening always around noon when the panels where producing the most and therefore exporting a lot to the grid. I found that the voltage was going over 260V and causing the inverter to shut down leaving only one inverter operating.

I called my utility and they adjusted the voltage in the transformer and now everything is working as it should.

So for anyone having similar issues, keep in mind that the more powerwalls you have, the lower the impedance tolerance allowed by Tesla and also take a look at the voltage, particularly during higher exporting hours.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
Hello! Just letting everyone one know that the issue has been fixed. There were two problems limiting the system performance.

One inverter was producing perfectly fine but the other was running at 20-30% its expected capacity.

There where problems in both strings coming down to that inverter.

First, one string was completely disconnected since it was mistakenly left disconnected in the combiner box, as soon as that was fixed, production jumped to about 8.5 to 9KW. That was at 10AM.

However, production was still lower than expected since we were expecting over 10KW.

After further analyzing the other strings that was reporting crazy fluctuations in voltage, the installer isolated the problem shutting down the whole string to a single panel with a defective MC4 connector.

They replaced it and as soon as the inverter recognized that string voltage within operational parameters the production jumped to 12.7KW!!

It stayed at 10-12KW up until 2PM when it started to come down.

It is now almost 3:30PM and the system has generated over 42KWh while being down most of the morning for troubleshooting FYI, 42KWh was the highest production I had recorded before in a very nice and sunny day.

Looking forward to seeing the full day results this coming days!

Thanks everyone for their help
and suggestions!
Would you mind sharing a picture of wiring in your inverters/ power walls . Had installation yesterday of similar system with 1 power wall plus and additional 7.6 inverter for possible expansion later and 11.6 kw of panels returned only 4.3kw peaked at 430 or so on a wide open southern facing home in Florida. Told possibly due to prior to pto. The second inverter is powered off (so I would assume some decrease in production from those remaining lines since I was told the stand alone inverters aren’t smart enough not to run meter right but 4 kw on this setup seems low. Looking for possible solution. Thanks for the help

Would you mind sharing a picture of wiring in your inverters/ power walls . Had installation yesterday of similar system with 1 power wall plus and additional 7.6 inverter for possible expansion later and 11.6 kw of panels returned only 4.3kw peaked at 430 or so on a wide open southern facing home in Florida. Told possibly due to prior to pto. The second inverter is powered off (so I would assume some decrease in production from those remaining lines since I was told the stand alone inverters aren’t smart enough not to run meter right but 4 kw on this setup seems low. Looking for possible solution. Thanks for the help
4:30 PM is way late in the day. Peak solar is usually around noon. But you are prior to PTO, so that is likely an issue. The system may be shutting down to prevent generating excess power beyond what the Powerwall can hold and sending the excess out to the grid which requires PTO.

Last edited: