Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New interactive range calculator (now tops at out 70MPH)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you take a car and only add more battery I would expect mpge to drop but range to improve at all speeds... We aren't talking dual motor differences or anything... Just more battery.

I don't think we know for certain that the "only" difference is "more battery". Are the motors the same? Same weight/winding? etc. Also with more battery is more weight, which may affect city vs. highway differently.

Anyways, this has all been discussed to no end here: 70D and 85D highway MPGe compared

- - - Updated - - -

Must have been a glitch because now at 45 mph it is showing 383 miles for 70D and 416 miles for 85D.

Hmm... interesting.

North American speed limits were lowered in the 1970's due to the so-called Energy Crisis as a way to improve fuel efficiency. An unintended consequence was that accident and injury rates also declined. As such, when the "Energy Crisis" ended, it was difficult for the politicians to raise the limits back up knowing full well it would lead to more carnage.

Anecdotal and total uncorroborated data. You have the entire country of Germany for you to make no correlation between max driving speed and accident rates.

No, it's clearly a combination of citizen stupidity and ticket revenues. We have a highway here that was 55mph forever. The entire thing was completely redone, 2+ lanes wider and smoother, and the engineering data suggested the speed limit should be changed to at least 65mph. Measure didn't pass in local government. Everyone still drives 80+ on the road.

You have the entire country of Germany for you to make no correlation between max driving speed and accident rates.

Actually... you don't.

Don't confuse the fact that the Autobahn is far (far!) safer than the U.S. interstate highway system, with a direct correlation to the lack of speed limit on parts of the Autobahn. When speed limits were introduce on the Autobahn, it became even safer:

http://www.etsc.be/documents/Speed_Fact_Sheet_1.pdf

"In Rheinland-Pfalz, a 130 km speed limit was also introduced on a 167km section of the A61 in 1991 and has been retained since then. This measure was combined with a ban on overtaking for heavy good vehicles. The impact of these two measures was a 30% reduction in fatal and severe injury accidents (comparing one year after and one year before their introduction – Rheinland-Pfalz Ministry of Transport)"

It's a sales gimick, don't expect it to cover cars they don't sell anymore.

It still should go to 85 as there are interstates where its legal to go that speed. Granted if someone really wanted to find out, all they would have to do is some research on TMC. I get asked this from interested buyers from time to time, it would be nice to just point them to the site.

Interesting...it top at 70 MPH...
Capture.JPG

QUOTE=kuttakamina;1052360]Not a bug. This is because the 70D comes with inbuilt coolness. :D[/QUOTE]

Very interesting/crazy, so it says on a 70D, at 45Mph, 90 degrees, with A/C off you could get 390 miles range, or 346 miles range with A/C on. Isn't that high? But at 65/70 it is a little more accurate but still well over the 240 Miles Rated Range, etc. Is this using Ideal Range?

In this case, would are cars also start to update their estimates with 100% charges showing over 240 miles over time. I.e. Mine charges to 243 right now at 100%. In future if warm out could it start to show 100% say over 250 miles rated? Not taking into account any degradation...

Very interesting/crazy, so it says on a 70D, at 45Mph, 90 degrees, with A/C off you could get 390 miles range, or 346 miles range with A/C on. Isn't that high? But at 65/70 it is a little more accurate but still well over the 240 Miles Rated Range, etc. Is this using Ideal Range?

In this case, would are cars also start to update their estimates with 100% charges showing over 240 miles over time. I.e. Mine charges to 243 right now at 100%. In future if warm out could it start to show 100% say over 250 miles rated? Not taking into account any degradation...

I'm pretty sure it's using rated range, not ideal range.

Also, there was a curve for the 60kwh and 85kwh batteries vs. speed. And at 45mph, you get a LOT more range than at 65mph.

City and highway miles aren't rated the same MPGe. Just like on an ICE your car will tell you how many miles you have left, it's based on [probably] the way you drove, but it doesn't say you'll have XXX miles in the city OR YYY miles on the highway.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one curve: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range
Here's another: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/driving-range-model-s-family

Yes, there's no 70D, but it'll give you an idea of speed vs. range.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on your driving style, I bet your car can show you more than 243 Projected Miles (not Rated Miles) at 100% charge.

Though with my driving style, that aint happening.