Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New interactive range calculator (now tops at out 70MPH)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure it's using rated range, not ideal range.

Also, there was a curve for the 60kwh and 85kwh batteries vs. speed. And at 45mph, you get a LOT more range than at 65mph.

City and highway miles aren't rated the same MPGe. Just like on an ICE your car will tell you how many miles you have left, it's based on [probably] the way you drove, but it doesn't say you'll have XXX miles in the city OR YYY miles on the highway.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one curve: Model S Efficiency and Range | Tesla Motors
Here's another: Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

Yes, there's no 70D, but it'll give you an idea of speed vs. range.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on your driving style, I bet your car can show you more than 243 Projected Miles (not Rated Miles) at 100% charge.

Though with my driving style, that aint happening.

Thanks Max, we'll see. I drive aggressively somewhat when I can but usually take it pretty relaxed. The thing here in Chicago, living in the city, you don't get much opportunity to go to fast, accelerate too heavily, etc.

It will be interesting over time to see what the car shows. Maybe in a couple months or whenever do my next 100% charge, I'll share that. See if it is higher than the first time at 243 that it showed.

-T

Because air has less density at 90F than at 70F, which reduces the effect of drag and air resistance.

Interesting, thanks. So then why is 110F worse than 90F? The air has even less density, but then you need to run the AC more?

- - - Updated - - -

Also @AmpedRealtor, why does the 85D not follow the pattern?

250RM/70F, 244RM/90F, 242RM/110F

If these numbers are right, then 90 degree is like the optimal temp it appears. Also the 70D is <10% different from a 85 at like 90 degrees but like HUGELY different (over 20%) when it's freezing or below...

Are the 85 numbers too high at 32 degrees? It seems from these posts that most users have reported lower numbers at freezing temp.

It still should go to 85 as there are interstates where its legal to go that speed. Granted if someone really wanted to find out, all they would have to do is some research on TMC. I get asked this from interested buyers from time to time, it would be nice to just point them to the site.

That 85 mph belief seems to be a common one. There are no Interstates with an 85 mph speed limit. In fact, the only road n the US with an 85 mph limit is a 40 mile stretch of SH 130, a toll road in Texas.

Internally, the data tables used for calculation go up to 85mph:

[
{
"temp": 0,
"wheelsize": 19,
"ac": "off",
"lights": "off",
"windows": "up",
"city": 319,
"hwy":
[
{ "mph": 40, "miles": 383 },
{ "mph": 45, "miles": 350 },
{ "mph": 50, "miles": 318 },
{ "mph": 55, "miles": 288 },
{ "mph": 60, "miles": 260 },
{ "mph": 65, "miles": 235 },
{ "mph": 70, "miles": 212 },
{ "mph": 75, "miles": 192 },
{ "mph": 80, "miles": 174 },
{ "mph": 85, "miles": 156 }
]
},

Also, they include figures for "City" and for both driving with/without the lights on and with the windows up/down!

Internally, the data tables used for calculation go up to 85mph:

[
{
"temp": 0,
"wheelsize": 19,
"ac": "off",
"lights": "off",
"windows": "up",
"city": 319,
"hwy":
[
{ "mph": 40, "miles": 383 },
{ "mph": 45, "miles": 350 },
{ "mph": 50, "miles": 318 },
{ "mph": 55, "miles": 288 },
{ "mph": 60, "miles": 260 },
{ "mph": 65, "miles": 235 },
{ "mph": 70, "miles": 212 },
{ "mph": 75, "miles": 192 },
{ "mph": 80, "miles": 174 },
{ "mph": 85, "miles": 156 }
]
},

Also, they include figures for "City" and for both driving with/without the lights on and with the windows up/down!

Interesting! Do you have the full database? It would be great to see a spreadsheet with all of this data. Or at the very least see it for my 70D at 90 degrees with 19" wheels and A/C on, with windows up...

So it sounds like they just recently limited the software to 70mph? and not limited the data behind it? Sounds like a bug. Maybe someone in Tesla's software QA should take note?

This is an easy one right....in a perfect world the UI *should* not be limited. But throw a few lawyers into the mix and yeah, you might want to impose some limits...but shouldn't that be something like this?:

<the highest speed limit within your customer base> + <the most that a ModelS will allow you to set the Cruise control over the speed limit> = *reasonable limit*
US example: 75mph + 25mph = 100mph

The overall speed is limited to 155mph - would make perfect sense to be able to set the Cruise Control to at least 75% of that...~115mph.

We definitely drive faster in CA than a lot of other states...when most of traffic cruises at 80-85mph, it's not unreasonable to sustain this for quite a while. With accelerations to pass and such as needed. So I guess someone needs to make an app for this :)

I've doctored the web app to work with the full speed range, but unfortunately I cannot share it because I'm sure Tesla's lawyers will come after me. Funny that they will open their patents but be so militant about everything else.

Before anyone tells me I'm being rash, I posted some connector pinouts to help someone troubleshoot and they sent a DMCA takedown notice to the board admin. I'm not happy with their policies of not only not giving us access to the service information, but then being militant when some of us try to share what little we do know with others.

I've doctored the web app to work with the full speed range, but unfortunately I cannot share it because I'm sure Tesla's lawyers will come after me. Funny that they will open their patents but be so militant about everything else.

Before anyone tells me I'm being rash, I posted some connector pinouts to help someone troubleshoot and they sent a DMCA takedown notice to the board admin. I'm not happy with their policies of not only not giving us access to the service information, but then being militant when some of us try to share what little we do know with others.

That is discouraging to hear...I wonder if they respond with the same militant behaviors on the teslamotors forum? Have u tried posting there? :)

It was here. They claimed "proprietary information" was being shared by me on 4 separate topics. One of them was the Supercharger thread where we were speculating on how they work!

What is clear, is that Tesla, or at least their legal team definitely monitors these forums.

What I can do is tell you how to hack the page yourself: Save the entire site on your computer, then open the file called "config.json" and update the following lines under the "imperial" section to be like this:
"speed": 65,
"speedVals": [85, 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40],
"panSpeeds": [5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50],
"wheelFPS": [35, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 115, 120],
"speedRange": [40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85],
"speedIndex": 5,
"speedAngle": 65,
"speedRangeMin": 40,
"speedRangeMax": 85,

I'm not happy with their policies of not only not giving us access to the service information, but then being militant when some of us try to share what little we do know with others.
It's a real shame no other car company has yet come out with an equivalent vehicle. As much as I love the Model S, I would literally deal with ANY other company in preference to Tesla, between their outright hostility to anyone wanting to repair their own vehicle (worse than ANY other manufacturer by an order of magnitude) and their deceptive marketing practices bundling in "fuel savings" and such with their pricing on the website, They are not a company I trust in the least.

On the bright side, once other companies do catch up (and eventually they will) Tesla will either have to improve their attitude, or they'll have a tough time making sales...

It was here. They claimed "proprietary information" was being shared by me on 4 separate topics. One of them was the Supercharger thread where we were speculating on how they work!

What is clear, is that Tesla, or at least their legal team definitely monitors these forums.

What I can do is tell you how to hack the page yourself: Save the entire site on your computer, then open the file called "config.json" and update the following lines under the "imperial" section to be like this:
"speed": 65,
"speedVals": [85, 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40],
"panSpeeds": [5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50],
"wheelFPS": [35, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 115, 120],
"speedRange": [40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85],
"speedIndex": 5,
"speedAngle": 65,
"speedRangeMin": 40,
"speedRangeMax": 85,

Thanks for sharing the details!

Unfortunately I don't see a "config.json" file, and I've tried to download the complete site with Firefox and Chrome. I see lots of JavaScript (.js) files and images (.png/jpg) but no JSON.

Another way -

There is a file called range-calculator.js. Go to line #7 - that is where the file is referenced.
Line #56 - where the file is being loaded. Set a breakpoint on #57, change values to the above mentioned values.
Or perhaps someone enterprising enough could create a simple excel sheet with data, and stick it on onedrive (poodrive as I call it), and share a fully functional app with graphs and all. I'd do it, but I have paid work up my a55 right now.