Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New interior update on 2020 model X wireless charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not, the charging cable already did and it almost looks like that wireless pad could slide off, revealing the original tray and lightning/USB3 mount.

Well, because it's a $120K car and that's cheesy and cheap. How much effort would have been to put a real wireless charging pad in there? Heck, my wife's Ford Edge has one and you wouldn't know it was even there, it's just seamlessly built in to console deck.

This isn't "built-in" wireless charging, it's a wireless charging accessory lazily thrown in there so they can say the car has "wireless charging".

Would have been better just to leave it out and sell them on shop.tesla.com as an accessory.

Last edited:
That plug in your USB, is that from the wireless charger? Surely Tesla didn't choose to charge a built-in component by jury-rigging a USB power cable?
Yes it is. Pretty lame. If it were hard wired rather than using standard USB they could have made it a fast charger. Unless they swapped to type c which I don’t know why they haven’t done that yet. Wait ellonsnturning into an accountant. Gotta save as much as they can for the investors.

Tesla S/X console support for phone charging has been a challenge, because the supplied slides don't work with any of the phones we've had (and we typically get new phones each year). There is such a wide range of phone width and depth, plus different width and depth of phone cases, that trying to get the slides on either side of the phone plus the USB plug at the bottom of that area all to line up for easy charging; has been a major challenge.

Wireless charging is a much better solution - and if all it takes is to replace the rotating cover that has the phone dock with a new version that includes a wireless charger, with slides that can basically accommodate any phone in any case (that supports wireless charging) - this is a significant improvement.

And if Tesla offers this as an upgrade for current S/X owners, we'll order one each for our 2017 S and 2018 X the day it's available.

Hi All, update on the 3D Printed route, overall it went very well and we now have an awesome wireless dock solution. Using the 3D print file from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3099354

I picked the iPhone 8 Plus Apple Case file and then headed on over to Reddit to r/3Dprintmything and asked for bids. Found one for $13 including shipping and a few days later we are good to go. It’s awesome and works great! If you don’t care about aesthetics its a very low cost solution.

Reactions: powaking
Picked up my Model X from the Marina Del Rey delivery center and my model X came with built-in wireless charging.
My wife got hers a month ago and didn't come with one. Both are 2020 Model X performance.

Any chance that I can get a photo showing the charge pad and the usb plug? Just took delivery of an inventory model that lacks both the wireless and the wired charger. Service center tells me that I lack the required wiring harness for the new charger. I’m trying to show that it lugs into the USB port.