Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New IOS Supercharger App For Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd bet it'd closer to an even split between Android and iPhone. Which is a pretty big tilt towards iPhone still given that Android has the vast majority of the mobile market right now.
Polls on here have shown that it is closer to 50-50. With the odd Windows Phone or BB user. Android does have a far bigger market share overall but in the higher end Apple tends to increase their market share.

Polls on here have shown that it is closer to 50-50. With the odd Windows Phone or BB user. Android does have a far bigger market share overall but in the higher end Apple tends to increase their market share.

Its hard to say for certain because it is quite unclear that this forum reflects a random sampling of Tesla owners. Android users tend to be more tech-savvy and presumably more likely to post here (and probably more likely to buy Teslas). Demographic data shows that at incomes > 125k annually, people are significantly more likely to be iPhone users than Android, which probably includes most people buying luxury cars (it is also true, but to a lesser extent for incomes > 75k).

Its hard to say for certain because it is quite unclear that this forum reflects a random sampling of Tesla owners. Android users tend to be more tech-savvy and presumably more likely to post here (and probably more likely to buy Teslas).
I think that is very much a generalization. I would say that I am very a geek and I am at the bleeding edge of lots of things, and I have lots of tech toys. But I use an iPhone and iPads. The same for most of the other geeks that I know.

Many people don't like carrying multiple phones and they will likely leverage off of the phone that they have from their job. And you don't see as many workplaces using Android, at least I don't. In the finance industry (where I am) you see mainly iPhones with still lots of Blackberries as the large I-Banks like GS, MS, CS, JPM, etc still use BBs. The folks that do carry a second phone usually have a personal iPhone.

I think that is very much a generalization. I would say that I am very a geek and I am at the bleeding edge of lots of things, and I have lots of tech toys. But I use an iPhone and iPads. The same for most of the other geeks that I know.

As am I, but I do get a certain amount of grief from my fellow techies. This Forbes piece shows some of the demographic breakdowns as reported by CivicScience. I've seen a number of other surveys with similar results.

You guys are missing the point. It doesn't really matter what the breakdown is. Let's say that 60% of the owners have iPhones. That still means this solution doesn't help the 40% who don't. The person who needs this isn't the person who leaves the QR code. It's the other guy who needs a charge and is blocked by someone else. The lack of being able to support the other 40% means that even if you leave that QR code you have a significant chance of it not being useful for the person you're trying to help.

On the other hand you could leave a cell phone number. I'd guess that cell phones are probably available to 99% (or higher) of Tesla owners. That's nearly always guaranteed to work. You don't have to worry about the other person know how to use the QR code or not either since pretty much everyone understands a phone number. In fact I've never seen one of these QR codes present on a car that was super charging.

So why does this app exist? Because some people don't want to leave cell phone numbers. Amazingly there are other better solutions to the privacy problem. Simply use a service like Google Voice to pass calls on to your real number.

Flat out this app isn't really that useful.

Reactions: BertL
Hi all,

Been toying with the concept of a messaging app that lets you message without necessarily exchanging personal details. Similar to Slack/WhatsApp however no phone numbers or emails needed to be shared. For an MVP thinking of targeting Tesla & EV destination charging stations and the ability to communicate with other EV drivers. Similar to SuperchargeQR which seems to be discontinued for quite some time... However the aim is to be a generic platform which could be used if say an ICE car left their headlights on or you found someones dog and you could message them to let them know.

If you have a spare 5 mins I’d appreciate if you could do a quick quiz @ Messaging App Quiz Thanks and happy driving!

Another feature request, thinking this once would be easy? Can we swap the white space and the QR data on the tent card? That way if someone prints this out to laminate it, the white space can hold the card down on the windshield wiper and the QR code is up, out and easy to see, read, scan on the windshield? I can move this around myself in the mean time in an editor.

You guys are missing the point. It doesn't really matter what the breakdown is. Let's say that 60% of the owners have iPhones. That still means this solution doesn't help the 40% who don't. The person who needs this isn't the person who leaves the QR code. It's the other guy who needs a charge and is blocked by someone else. The lack of being able to support the other 40% means that even if you leave that QR code you have a significant chance of it not being useful for the person you're trying to help.

On the other hand you could leave a cell phone number. I'd guess that cell phones are probably available to 99% (or higher) of Tesla owners. That's nearly always guaranteed to work. You don't have to worry about the other person know how to use the QR code or not either since pretty much everyone understands a phone number. In fact I've never seen one of these QR codes present on a car that was super charging.

So why does this app exist? Because some people don't want to leave cell phone numbers. Amazingly there are other better solutions to the privacy problem. Simply use a service like Google Voice to pass calls on to your real number.

Flat out this app isn't really that useful.

I agree that a solution to a problem should cover the most amount of people. For that matter google voice doesn't work in every country. And this "EV related challenge" is technically a world-wide problem. At least slowly ramping up :)
Personally, I wouldn't put my personal phone for everyone to see.