Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New IOS Supercharger App For Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finishing up testing on version 2.0 currently which will indeed include the ability to check the charging status of the vehicle associated to the code being scanned. There will be a new "Settings" icon on the bottom which contains a UI for entering your Tesla account credentials. I found a rather unique way of doing the charge status check that doesn't require storing the Tesla credentials on any server. They are stored securely in the encrypted keychain on your iOS device and nowhere else.
There are a few other small features based on everyones feedback but the last thing on my list for this release is the ability to choose which car on your account you are checking in if you have multiple MS's. I consider myself lucky to have 1 so I'm not complaining, but I really could use someone who has two as a beta tester.

I just tried to use the new charging status function on v2.0 on my wife's phone. However, I can't seem to get past the "getting driver check-ins..." screen on her phone.

Great idea, LithionSD, and well executed. I'll forgo entering my Tesla credentials for now, and use your great built-in reply function to respond to any messages with charge info and ETA myself, from the Tesla app. I agree with earlier poster that this seems useful for all makes of electric cars.

? Echoing an earlier post, why is this branded just for Teslas? And adding to it... why just for superchargers? Wouldn't this work for any EV charging at any place in the wild? Why so specific?

Yes I agree. call it charge notification system or there about and change from the red color. you become universal. at least for Tesla Ses for now. since you tap into charge state and status, those are valid for any charging situation....... then get the leaf cmunity and other EV comunities to help in expansion. just like MarkJ has done with the OVMS project, which is now more or less global and started humbly with the roadster..... good luck and a great job and idea so far!

Interestingly, I started putting out my card even if I'm not at a Tesla Supercharger. I was at a J1772 in Northampton, MA and got the message my car was finished and someone was waiting. I went out and it was another Tesla (60kWh) hoping to use the charger. There was a Volt next to me, but there was no way to contact that owner, and the other nearby chargers were ICEd in or in use as well. The Tesla owner installed it and used it to contact me. While we were talking the Volt owner showed up. He agreed it was a great app, even if not used at a Supercharger, and wished something generic existed from Plugshare, for instance.

This thread inspired me to use it regardless of whether it was a Supercharger and made it possible for a guy in need of some power to not have to wait. Great suggestion.

Interestingly, I started putting out my card even if I'm not at a Tesla Supercharger. I was at a J1772 in Northampton, MA and got the message my car was finished and someone was waiting. I went out and it was another Tesla (60kWh) hoping to use the charger. There was a Volt next to me, but there was no way to contact that owner, and the other nearby chargers were ICEd in or in use as well. The Tesla owner installed it and used it to contact me. While we were talking the Volt owner showed up. He agreed it was a great app, even if not used at a Supercharger, and wished something generic existed from Plugshare, for instance.

This thread inspired me to use it regardless of whether it was a Supercharger and made it possible for a guy in need of some power to not have to wait. Great suggestion.

Awesome! If there were something available for Windows Phone I'd use it for sure!

I liked this app so much I downloaded it before I even received my car. Which unfortunately isn't until Sept 18th. I really like the fact that this community is conscientious of other drivers/people. It's quite refreshing in this day in age. I can't say the same is true in my 23 years experience driving an ICE vehicle.

With all due respect to what is doubtless a fabulous idea, I have no idea what this computer program does. Some of us are Neanderthals (like me!) and have a real difficultly grasping
this concept.

My ignorance factor with anything related to computers and their progeny is enormous. It would be refreshing if some of these comments and suggestions could explain in lay terms the jargon and locutions that are prevailing within this discussion.

We are all ignorant, only in different things!

Thanks! :)

With all due respect to what is doubtless a fabulous idea, I have no idea what this computer program does. Some of us are Neanderthals (like me!) and have a real difficultly grasping this concept.

As I understand it, what this App does is let folks who have a QR scanner on their phone (QR is that thing that looks like part of a crossword puzzle) read your contact information so they can notify you if they need to unplug your car. The thought being that random thieves won't have their phone with them (as the phone will track their location). Of course, you have to print this out and make it visible on your car when you charge.

I saw people suggest this app in another thread. I'd never heard of it. I see it's not available on Android or Windows. I can understand how for a free app you don't really have time to work on it for another platform.

However, what I don't understand is that in order to remain anonymous this software has to have a central server and an app that either receives push notifications from that server or that polls the server. Wouldn't it be easier to just use existing infrastructure that everyone has access to.

1) Write a web app that allows a user to sign in and provides an email.
2) Webapp provides a page you can print out that includes a URL (and a QR code of the URL) that you can put in your window.
3) Visiting the URL displays an interface that allows the user to send a message to the user via email.
4) People using the webapp can also register and provide an email and have two way communication. The emails can even be mapped through anonymous addresses that just get remailed to the other end, so they can email back and forth.

Additional options such as notification via the smart phone app or text messaging could be added, possibly for a charge. However, making the primary interface a web app means all platforms can use it. We know that every Model S has 3G access and a web browser. So if you design the app to be friendly to the car browser and mobile browsers then you can achieve maximum penetration for users to be able to use this.

I scanned one of these QR codes in this thread with my barcode scanner on Android. All I get is some garbage text (presumably a randomly generated ID). So if someone leaves this QR code on their dash, it does me no good as an Android user. This means that the fundamental purpose of the app, i.e. allowing you to leave contact info for any owner to reach you while staying anonymous, is not achieved.

So in short, nice idea, poorly executed.

Lots of replies. Let me see if I can answer all the questions:

1) Does not require generating a new code for each charger expedition. If you use the anonymous sign in and delete and re-install the app you'll have to generate a new one. If you use facebook sign in your QR code should always be good even if you uninstall and re-install.
2) Why not leave your cell number? I, personally don't like leaving a unique identifier like a phone number around, way too easy for someone to find out where I live, where I work, etc..
3) How do you know when charging is done? This, to be honest was a bit of an oversight on my part. If the car has powered down while charging you don't know. I'll be changing the messaging in the app soon to say something like "There is a line for the superchargers. Check your charge level in the Tesla app or check in on your car at your convenience." I've also considered a checkin process where if you are the owner of the QR and scan it it serves as a checkin and when someone else scans it they can see how long you've been charging and determine whether to send the message.
4) Android and WinMobile - Looking at Android, a bit more complicated to do on the QR side. WinMobile, probably not enough adoption yet.
5) Useful for other chargers? Yes, but I wanted to tackle the market I understand as an owner first. I would probably do a separate app for Level 2 type chargers since the messaging would be a little different. Like "Don't unplug me yet. Download blah blah and scan the code to let me know you're waiting". A coworker of mine actually suggested I do a version for laundromats... "Don't touch my undies, scan the code and I'll be right there to unload the washer".
6) How is there a review already? It launched mid day yesterday, not sure why Apple says it was today. But if you like it, definitely review and give it 5 stars, helps people find it easier when they search.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The app already has over 100 downloads, not too shabby for something so niche.

you could have the owner put an estimated time of charge completion/return and send that message back to the person waiting for that stall.
and of course Android or MS would be nice

Wow GREAT idea and K.I.S.S. implementation! Thanks... especially since its FREE !!!

OK I downloaded the app on my iPhone 6 Plus, opened it, printed out my QR code & laminated it, and got it to scan... BUT When I go to Settings and enter my Tesla Motors Username (either the short name or my full email address) and my 24-character strong password (pasted in via 1Password) all I get is:

Ooops

Looks like there was an issue signing in. Please check your credentials and try again.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks again for the AWESOME app... and your help getting SuperchargerQR Setting to log me in.

Don

2015 MS P85D "inventory car"
Pearl White / Tan interior
every option including rear Next Gen seats... except 3rd row seating

Rather than be tesla specific, I think your app is applicable to all EVs. I would consider rebranding it.

Bingo. While clever, I think the app unfortunately adds little value to the supercharging experience. Anyone who would use it would also practice maximum etiquette anyway...

This makes much more sense in the world of low power opportunity charging.

Wow GREAT idea and K.I.S.S. implementation! Thanks... especially since its FREE !!!

OK I downloaded the app on my iPhone 6 Plus, opened it, printed out my QR code & laminated it, and got it to scan... BUT When I go to Settings and enter my Tesla Motors Username (either the short name or my full email address) and my 24-character strong password (pasted in via 1Password) all I get is:

Ooops

Looks like there was an issue signing in. Please check your credentials and try again.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks again for the AWESOME app... and your help getting SuperchargerQR Setting to log me in.

Don

2015 MS P85D "inventory car"
Pearl White / Tan interior
every option including rear Next Gen seats... except 3rd row seating
I think the issue may be that Tesla has changed the signin protocol since that app was written. It needs updating to the new, more secure, signin.

I think this app is awesome. Just a suggestion - QR code is great, but it requires printing and geekiness. Why not just allow an additional option of reaching someone via their VIN#? The vin is clearly visible on every car and is just as anonymous as a qr code.