Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New iPhone 13 Pro Max in a case does not work with the 2021 Model 3 wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is just a "first world problems" type of post, but I hope to help inform someone that may be considering getting a new iPhone 13 Pro Max alongside their new Tesla Model 3.

Last week, my wife got an iPhone 13 Pro, and I got a 13 Pro Max. Since we have a 2 year old that likes to mess with our phones (aka spike the phone on the ground), we each have a case made by Mous. This isn't an Otterbox case so it's not HUGE, but the Mous case is big enough to cause problems when used in the Model 3.

If we put her 13 Pro on the Model 3's wireless charging pad, it works great. If we put my 13 Pro Max on the same pad, nothing happens.

If I remove my 13 Pro Max from the Mous case, it begins to charge if I put it on the wireless pad.

I don't have any other brand of case so I'm not sure if this is because of Mous' specific case. The case has a clear back so there is no metal between the Phone and the Tesla's charging pad.

I did however test the Tesla Model 3 wireless charging with an iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone XS Max each with a Mous case. And they seem fine. So I don't know what's the deal with the new iPhone 13 Pro Max other than it's slightly too big.

Anyway, TLDR... if you use a case on your phone you may want to pass on the iPhone 13 Pro Max and stick with the regular 13 Pro.
My 13 pro max in symmetry case will not charge in my 2020 M3 either. Upside down is no different. I called Tesla and they said take it out of the case. I’m not comfortable taking this phone in and out of the case to charge. Technology fail. I had iPhone X in same case and it worked great.

Not surprisingly, my 11 Pro Max in an Otterbox Defender doesn’t work with wireless charging either. It’s a huge over-protective case, not really much Tesla can do about that. I just plugged in a USB-C to Lightning cable, same as in my older M3LR

I have had the same with my iPhone 13 Pro on my 2020 M3 with OEM wireless charger. The camera bump prevents it from sitting flush.

I put a strip of black felt at the bottom of the charger (where the lip is) to raise the phone up and this resolved the issue.

I had the same with my iPhone 13 Pro on my 2020 M3 with OEM wireless charger. The camera bump prevents it from sitting flush.

I put a strip of black felt at the bottom of the charger (where the lip is) to raise the phone up and this resolved the issue.

Attachments

• 1FFE5D8F-8DF3-46E6-B9F8-E03E4B1E2FC8.jpeg
    1FFE5D8F-8DF3-46E6-B9F8-E03E4B1E2FC8.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 524
Reactions: bastrd_steve
I have a 2020 MYLR and my iPhone 13 pro max does not work on the charger provided but my partners iPhone 13 (regular) works fine with and without a case.

I tried with my iPhone 13 pro max spine ultra thin case, both upside down and right side up and no luck. Anyone have luck in their MYLR 2020 with the iPhone 13 Pro? I'm debating on switching my phone with mother, totally a first world problem. smh.

I’m in a 2019 model 3 with the old interior and aftermarket wireless charger.

Also using an iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Apple silicon case: everything works…except the case is pure garbage. Zero protection as evidence by my shattered screen.
Spect case: no wireless charging as it doesn’t really fit on the charger. Often falls into the center console. However better protection from drops.

Nothing works with my 13 Pro Max other than totally removing the case. I have tried the following:

1) spigen clear case - doesn’t work
2) apple OE MagSafe silicone case - doesn’t work
3) either case upside down - doesn’t work
4) no case at all - works fine

So what I plan to do is just deal with it. I have the apple case and it can be removed easily enough. If I’m running low and need to charge wireless I will just temporarily remove the case.

It’s due to the large camera bump and adding a case puts just enough extra space to prevent a charge.
Pro max 13 with apple MagSafe case works with rpm Tesla charging tray in model y 2020. 13 pro does not.