Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New iPhone and Android Control Module for lighted rear appliqué

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hank:

Just downloaded the app to my iPhone 6. When I launch it, it searches but does not find the controller. Yes, car is powered up and appliqué is illuminated. Any hints?

Thx.

You might want to try turning off LTE on the phone when trying to pair a bluetooth device for the first time. I've had issues in the past that were quickly resolved when I've done that.

I'm sure you can figure out how to turn off LTE, but one simple way on my phone was to just enable airplane mode, and then turn bluetooth back on separately.

Once paired, you'll probably never have to jump through those hoops again. I'd try that.

Danal, I thanked Hank. And he said you deserved credit. Sorry, I didn't mean to overlook you. This app is wonderful. I am having so much fun with it - showing the applique and the lighting effects to people. Great, great, great. Thank you so much.

You might want to try turning off LTE on the phone when trying to pair a bluetooth device for the first time. I've had issues in the past that were quickly resolved when I've done that.

I'm sure you can figure out how to turn off LTE, but one simple way on my phone was to just enable airplane mode, and then turn bluetooth back on separately.

Once paired, you'll probably never have to jump through those hoops again. I'd try that.

While your advice is sound and worth a try, the Appliqué module is a BLE device (Bluetooth Low Energy) and doesn't pair like normal BT devices. It's more of an instantaneous connection.

While your advice is sound and worth a try, the Appliqué module is a BLE device (Bluetooth Low Energy) and doesn't pair like normal BT devices. It's more of an instantaneous connection.

The devices I had issues with where turning off LTE made the difference were FOBO Tire Plus, and another similar FOBO product. I don't know if those are BLE devices or not.

The devices I had issues with where turning off LTE made the difference were FOBO Tire Plus, and another similar FOBO product. I don't know if those are BLE devices or not.

Yes, FOBO is BLE. What I was trying to get across was that users of the Applique module and app do not have to go into Bluetooth settings and attempt to "pair" the device, since it won't show up there.

LTE off did not help. I made sure power was on--even had the appliqué working to be sure. Tried holding my iPhone next to the controller. I wonder since I have one of the early controllers, is there some manual configuration or trick I need to do?

I'm really not sure what to suggest. Can you try a different mobile device like an iPad or Android phone?

The app has been distributed to at least 20 people who have been using it without any issues at all.

Can you follow the original install documents and use the Bluefruit LE app to communicate with the module via command line?

FWIW, I launched the Bluefruit LE app. It sees my 4 FOBO tire sensors and the FOBO unit inside the car, plus my 3 Tile tags. Does not see the applique controller. Maybe next I will power cycle the controller....

I'd guess it needs a power cycle (cold boot) or the BT module is faulty. If so you still can't get it to recognize the module, hopefully Rick can send you a replacement.

I have been using the app since it was released - very nice. I just got a new iPhone 7 and can't connect any more. I have a new iPad, and it can connect, so this may be really a question about BLE, but is there any way to reset the module? I have done a power cycle on the module and still can't connect. I deleted and redownloaded the app on the iPhone, and cycled the iPhone power and still can't connect. The Bluefruit app on the new iPhone works. Any ideas?

Yikes, I have no ideas. What iOS versions are on the phone and iPad? If the Bluefruit can connect, I don't see why the Applique app can't. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone 7 so I can't test that from here (and I won't be getting one until next year or even the year after that). Anyone else with an iPhone 7 who can test? Apple has done this to me before with hardware and OS updates breaking my apps which worked perfectly fine before... grrrrrr.

If it still doesn't work, I may have to recompile the app and put you up on testflight and see if that works. But that won't be until next week at the earliest.

Both iPad and iPhone (mine is also a plus) are on 10.0.2. Really strange since Bluefruit immediately connects. Appreciate your assistance, after using your app a few times per day since it's release, Bluefruit seems antiquated.