Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Issue - Headlines stay on and the car stays unlocked sometimes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally when I walk away from my car it locks and the lights go off. I have noticed a few times recently that I will go to the grocery or something come back to me car and the lights are still on and the car is unlocked. All the doors are shut, etc. Any ideas?

Very likely an update changed your answer in Walk Away Door Locks. Check it, and if it is correct, toggle it off and back on. Check the app or visually to see if the doors remain unlocked after you walk away. You can also check the app and lock the doors if they are unlocked until this is fixed.

A few possible reasons:
1) You left the 2nd FOB in the car somewhere
2) A door is not completely closed. 1/4" open is enough to prevent locking (it should show as an open door on the display)
3) The Frunk or Liftgate is not completely closed (it should show as open on the display)

Can you force a locked state from the phone or FOB? If not, likely one of the 3 items above is preventing locking, assuming there isn't a hardware issue like a broken sensor.