Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New issues for full autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
full autonomy raises new issues. I will list some and I suspect others will add
1. If car is stopped, who gets ticket if no one is in the car? Police could be wrong but whose "version of the event" will be believed
2. Fender bender occurs will car call police? Will it call insurance company or exchange information with other driver? If no one around will car drive off?
3. Is road rage possible?

These things will end up being fought out. I don't think Tesla sees much point in projecting too far out how the system will deal with self driving.

On the call, Elon was asked about insurance and liability and seemed to associate it with questions about safety of self driving that he's said are misplaced.

It's worth noting that Tesla will have extremely detailed records about exactly what happened in any accident and will evolve a legal team that's very good at using all that data to defend their vehicles. If the Tesla is at fault, it will be a learning experience for the entire fleet and that error won't happen again.

Reactions: malcolm
I have been trying to find a clip from the movie "Idiocracy", but I haven't been able to. It is the scene where Joe is "unscannable" in Frito's car, so Frito's car is disabled by the police and it stops. This is what happens next:
It is the scene right before this.

It is hilarious, but seriously, my mind is racing with hackers taking over my car, Russians, or the police. I'm not sure I want to give control of my car up. I'm kinda scared! :confused:

As Ludus has indicated, I would imagine that the data logs which Tesla pulls from a car after an incident could be expanded to include footage of the event itself plus the previous and subsequent, say, 15 seconds.

From all eight cameras.

full autonomy raises new issues. I will list some and I suspect others will add
1. If car is stopped, who gets ticket if no one is in the car? Police could be wrong but whose "version of the event" will be believed
2. Fender bender occurs will car call police? Will it call insurance company or exchange information with other driver? If no one around will car drive off?
3. Is road rage possible?

I assume the Tesla app will provide near real-time monitoring of you car while it's in unoccupied autonomous mode. I would not be surprised if the car supports video conferencing between the phone and the car so that the owner can communicate with passengers and people nearby. A road rage feature is not likely, but you could always visually give someone the finger :-o

• Informative
Reactions: Chickenlittle
I'm thinking the full dashcam functionality is a necessary part of the autonomous package. If the police issue a ticket, then the owner/Tesla should be able to produce 8 camera records of what happened, which should clearly show whether the car is guilty or not.

Same answer for accidents; it'll have to be sorted out, but I'd think the car would call the police and the owner.