Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New J1772 Wall Connector Installed, may have made the wrong decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one thing to remember with the adapter is you have to make sure the charge port light is glowing white. This means the port is unlocked. So my routine on the Juicebox typically is:

1) press and release the unlock button on the charger plug
2) push gently on the plug back in to make sure that the adapter didn't separate from the J1772 plug
3) wait for the charge port light to glow white. If the car is awake, this should be immediate, but if the car was asleep it might take a few seconds
4) pull the plug out

I can do all of this one-handed and it's consistent, but it took me a while to figure out a reliable way to unplug one-handed.

I just got forcibly converted to the J1772 HPWC, at least for now…

My 2.5-year-old Gen3 HPWC started overheating and automatically reducing charge rate; I contacted Tesla last week, they pulled some logs, determined that my HPWC was irreversibly dying, so they said they’d ship me a replacement, all under warranty. Got the replacement today; turned off the breaker, unscrewed the four screws, popped the old HPWC off the wire box, opened up the shipping box…wow, a nice pretty black instead of the old white. Put the new one on the existing wire box per Tesla instructions, got it commissioned and connected to WiFi, everything working, time to uncoil the 24-ft cable (the old one had the 18-ft cable), get to the end of the cable and take the wrapping off the connector…whoa!! What the heck is this?? Well, it’s a J1772 connector, that’s what it is! Tesla replaced my dying HPWC with a J1772 HPWC o_O!

Anyway, I sent Tesla support an email about it, asking if this is what they intended. Of some note, the Tesla store order that was generated by the R&R process shows the conventional white HPWC with the standard Tesla connector on it. I don’t quite know what to think. If I get my 2021 M3 “updated” to the CCS charge port, maybe this is a good move, but I haven’t been paying attention to that folderol so I don’t know the pros and cons. If I decide to get that Audi GT in a few years, maybe I’ll be glad to have the J1772-native HPWC ;). Or maybe Tesla made an oopsie and sent me the wrong replacement (the invoice suggests that), and they’ll email me tomorrow and tell me it was all a dream. Anybody heard of this happening, or have any thoughts?

The J1772 WC is more expensive, so tf you think you might have a non-Tesla in the garage at some point, then you've scored a deal. Otherwise it will be less convenient than the regular Tesla connector. CCS compatibility in the US is via an adapter. They aren't changing the inlets on the cars to CCS.
Many thanks for the reply! After I posted yesterday, I read some of the various threads about the “CCS compatibility“ update and figured out that I was seeing that show up in the app because my M3 (September 2021) wasn’t built with the right parts to be compatible with the CCS chargers. (My 2020 MY appears to be compatible though!)

After sleeping on it (and charging overnight and confirming the overheating caution message has gone away), I think I’ll just stick with this one unless Tesla insists on taking it back. I like my Teslas but in another 3-4 years, there may be something else out there that has gone through the learning curve and fixes some of the Tesla annoyances (most especially, lack of CarPlay) that I may be interested in. I probably will spend the $50 for a dedicated J1772-to-Tesla adapter so I can leave it on the HPWC and both cars still have their adapters.

Reactions: davewill
Many thanks for the reply! After I posted yesterday, I read some of the various threads about the “CCS compatibility“ update and figured out that I was seeing that show up in the app because my M3 (September 2021) wasn’t built with the right parts to be compatible with the CCS chargers. (My 2020 MY appears to be compatible though!)

After sleeping on it (and charging overnight and confirming the overheating caution message has gone away), I think I’ll just stick with this one unless Tesla insists on taking it back. I like my Teslas but in another 3-4 years, there may be something else out there that has gone through the learning curve and fixes some of the Tesla annoyances (most especially, lack of CarPlay) that I may be interested in. I probably will spend the $50 for a dedicated J1772-to-Tesla adapter so I can leave it on the HPWC and both cars still have their adapters.
I've been using a J1772 connector with my clipper creek charger since I got my MY 2 ½ years ago. In my case the Clipper Creek charger is required by my Electric Coop for their off peak charging program but either way it's no faster or slower than an equivalent Tesla charger. Not being able to push the button to open the charge port is a minor nuisance but it's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
I just got forcibly converted to the J1772 HPWC, at least for now…

My 2.5-year-old Gen3 HPWC started overheating and automatically reducing charge rate; I contacted Tesla last week, they pulled some logs, determined that my HPWC was irreversibly dying, so they said they’d ship me a replacement, all under warranty. Got the replacement today; turned off the breaker, unscrewed the four screws, popped the old HPWC off the wire box, opened up the shipping box…wow, a nice pretty black instead of the old white. Put the new one on the existing wire box per Tesla instructions, got it commissioned and connected to WiFi, everything working, time to uncoil the 24-ft cable (the old one had the 18-ft cable), get to the end of the cable and take the wrapping off the connector…whoa!! What the heck is this?? Well, it’s a J1772 connector, that’s what it is! Tesla replaced my dying HPWC with a J1772 HPWC o_O!

Anyway, I sent Tesla support an email about it, asking if this is what they intended. Of some note, the Tesla store order that was generated by the R&R process shows the conventional white HPWC with the standard Tesla connector on it. I don’t quite know what to think. If I get my 2021 M3 “updated” to the CCS charge port, maybe this is a good move, but I haven’t been paying attention to that folderol so I don’t know the pros and cons. If I decide to get that Audi GT in a few years, maybe I’ll be glad to have the J1772-native HPWC ;). Or maybe Tesla made an oopsie and sent me the wrong replacement (the invoice suggests that), and they’ll email me tomorrow and tell me it was all a dream. Anybody heard of this happening, or have any thoughts?
LOL - I ordered a J1772 WC early December and received the Tesla NA part instead (popped open the box and it was white w/ tesla wand) - maybe I got yours :)
Seriously though - the only way to tell what's in the box without opening it is to look a the tiny label on one corner of the box - should say "wall connector , na, 1p, 48a, 24ft" or "wall connector , j1772, 1p, 48a, 24ft"
1673197687527.png

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and mycroftxxx
As a new owner, I've been searching the forum for an answer, and you guys may be able to give some insight. If I keep the Tesla adapter on my J1772 plug at home (I have a JuiceBox already installed), how do I clip or attach it to the wall? My JuiceBox has a molded, plastic receiver (holster) that fits the J1772 plug. I don't think it will accept the Tesla adapter. I've seen some 3D-printed ideas, but I just would like to purchase something that works and is reliable. Any suggestions?

As a new owner, I've been searching the forum for an answer, and you guys may be able to give some insight. If I keep the Tesla adapter on my J1772 plug at home (I have a JuiceBox already installed), how do I clip or attach it to the wall? My JuiceBox has a molded, plastic receiver (holster) that fits the J1772 plug. I don't think it will accept the Tesla adapter. I've seen some 3D-printed ideas, but I just would like to purchase something that works and is reliable. Any suggestions?
I just dangle mine. I thought about getting one of the wall organizer dummy plugs like this: Tesla Charger Cable Organizer & Holder for Model S 3 X Y

But I did not like how it juts out instead of into the side like the native Tesla wall charger. So I just didn't bother. I like dangling it fine.

My first EVSE came with a reel something like a hose holder mounted on the wall, and I just let the plug hang off of it. The holder actually has a place to put the J1772 plug, but I'm pretty sure that forcing it in there contributed to ruining my first cord and plug, so with my replacement, I try to be gentle. For my other EVSE, I did buy a hose holder and mount it on the wall, and I also just let that one dangle.

I just took delivery of a Model Y and decided to order the new J1772 wall connector vs. Teslas proprietary connector. I thought I was getting ahead of the game but I’m doubting the decision I made.

I don’t own any other EV’s at the moment but felt it was wiser to install Americas “Standard” vs Tesla’s, not because Tesla would be switching but to have the most flexible option for any future purchases Tesla or not.

I liked that the car comes with an OEM J1772 adapter which is also less expensive than the aftermarket Tesla to J1772 adapters that exist, win-win.

Having my wife use an adapter at home would prepare her for the day she uses a J1772 station on the road.

It’s pricier but everything I mentioned above was worth the $150 difference on paper, in practice, I don’t feel like I made the right decision though.

I intended to keep the J1772 adapter always on the cable at home but there’s no slot for the Tesla connector on the side of the unit, only the J1772 fits. I’m sure some people just let the cable dangle off the wall connector but I like how clean it looks when it’s placed properly. I’m going to buy a holster on Amazon to make up for this but it’s a detail I think they dropped the ball on. Maybe someone can 3D Print something for it…

The button to release the J1772 does not open the charge port as far as I can tell. Takes a little bit of the magic away.

I’m disappointed that Tesla markets the wall connector for “your Tesla” and other brands. I’m sure the magic of this thing is within the circuitry / engineering and not the plastic housing or the ability to open the charge port from the charger itself but these were the questions I had in mind before the install and thought some of you might like to know before making your purchase.

TL:DR

- No slot for the Tesla adaptor on the side
- Button on the charger doesn’t open charge port, it’s just a release
- Sleekest J1772 connector out there but still not as compact as Tesla’s (knew this one going in)P
You're better off than you think. Make it a habit to take the adapter with the car. That way if you're out and about and find public charging you can take advantage when needed. I keep mine in the side door pocket although there are many options.

When you do that you can hang the J1772 as intended.

If you decide that's really not for you, its possible to 3D print or purchase a 3D printed holster to accept and hold the Tesla connector next to your EVSE.

If you leave J1772 on your home charger, you won't have it with you for free chargers at malls, hotels etc. Another thing to forget when on a road trip too! I use Tesla charger at home and J1772 stays in the glove box.
Have bag of other adapters in the rear. Was free with 2018 M3 and I kept it when traded for my Y Performance. Jusy sayin'....

Reactions: exxxviii
I have 5 charging locations in my garage. I ordered 5 Gen 3's. One is installed, working on second. I decided to order the gen 3 with J1772 this morning, and will return one of the gen 3's. Seems it makes more sense for me to have both tesla and J1772 connectors so I can charge any type of car that comes to my house. If I needed another telsa to work the adapter can be put on the J1772. If I do not want anymore, I just buy another gen 3 and swap the bodies, the wiring and bracket get left alone. And both types are supposed to be able to be shared together.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Charging with J1772 is more like scraping dog poo out of the treads of your shoe with a twig. You need several hands, some makeshift tools, and it's hard to even keep your balance throughout the ordeal.
Holy Moly! While very amusing, that is one of the most over-the-top exaggerations I have ever heard. The Tesla connector is a better experience, no doubt - but if that is your analogy, then I don't think that is actually beer in your mug, I think it's something else that just happens to be the about same color... 🚽💦

The missing remote button costs about an extra half second on the way in, and nothing after learning a slightly different technique on the way out. Yikes.

Reactions: Rocky_H