TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New Jag SUV and charging speed?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by JenniferQ, Nov 14, 2016.

1. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

That's more like 200amps or 50kw. Maybe 80% in 90mins on a 50kw CHAdeMO charger, but definitely not on a home charger.

• Informative x 2
  3. voyager

voyager Member

Link does not work. Overload? Here are some pictures from AutoCar.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Adm

Adm Active Member

Fast charging now is 50 kW, but according to Jaguar the car is 150 kW capable when the new fast chargers arrive, eventually. I am not quite sure if they mean cars can be retrofitted.

5. Boourns

Boourns Member

Here's the link from Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/the-jaguar-i-pace-concept-is-the-sexiest-electric-suv-a-1788976795

This seems wrong though:

Isn't that significantly worse than an X90D in every way, except maybe 0-60?

• Like x 1
  6. green1

green1 Active Member

From what I'm reading this morning the Jag has several interesting points of comparison with the X:

In favour of Jag:
    - Better fit and finish, better materials, etc. (more "luxurious") let's be honest, this is not Tesla's strong suit
    - Cost, Jag hasn't released numbers, but they have stated they're going to undercut Tesla (this could be huge for some people)

Mostly a wash:
    - similar range, doesn't get quite to the same range as the X, but it's still a long range vehicle and quite acceptable for that purpose
    - 0-60 is similar, 4 seconds is nothing to scoff at
    - Interior cargo room, technically less, but in reality the official cargo room in the X isn't as practical as that shown in the Jag
    - Smaller size (this is personal preference, but many people do find the X and S to be too big)

In favour of Tesla:
    - slower charging (for now) at only 50kW it can't compete with superchargers, but 150kW can. The 2 questions will be if that 150 really happens any time soon, and if there ends up being a reasonable charge network to support it. My guess is no in the short term, but yes in the long term.
    - more seats (6 or 7 vs 5) but keep in mind that not everyone cares about that, and there was actually quite a bit of outcry that Tesla wouldn't allow removal of the 3rd row for more storage
    - no autopilot. It will likely have some lane keeping ability and such, but we don't yet know how much.

Overall, I'd say It's a worthy competitor. It won't work for everyone, but at less money for more luxury without really sacrificing range, or acceleration, I'm sure there will be a few takers. That's not to say that it's better than the X, but I suspect it will sell.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  7. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

This is what the Model X could have been.

• Like x 1
  8. green1

green1 Active Member

And it's hard to say if that would be good or bad. They each have their strengths, and will appeal to different people.

9. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Excellent.

• Like x 1
  10. green1

green1 Active Member

I forgot to add:
    In favour of jag:
    - No falcon wing doors, sure they're neat, they attract crowds and everything, but they're a maintenance nightmare, and not actually practical in the real world.

• Like x 4
  11. zag2me

zag2me Member

It has a grill!

Very nice design. Here is Engadget's picture which gives an idea of the "aggressive" design:

[​IMG]

12. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

#11 Vitold, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    This is a competitor to Model Y not X.

The car looks weird from the front (hopefully it's just lighting):

[​IMG]

13. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

Many people vehemently disagree with your critique of FWD , I am not one of them.

For me the attract crowd factor is also a negative.

I have yet to understand the practicality of them.

Tesla has gone to great lengths to automate mundane things liking eliminating a start button and a door locking buttons, and pushed ahead with autopilot, but then added FWDs and in doing so added back a lot of mundane waiting and checking back into the mix.

14. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

Two words: British electrics. lol

Seriously, this is great news, since it's a clear signal that sustainable energy is picking up pace. Also, competition is a good thing. And to my eye, this Jag looks fantastic, even better than the X.

• Funny x 1
  15. green1

green1 Active Member

If that's the case, then Tesla should be scared, because they haven't even announced a Model Y yet.

No, I don't buy that for a moment. This is a high end luxury vehicle, it competes at the high end, not the low end where Y is expected to be. They aren't in the same market.

16. green1

green1 Active Member

Jag isn't exactly known for reliability, and then there's the whole lucas wiring thing that gives all british cars a poor reputation for electrics. But that said, Tesla also isn't known for reliability, especially the Model X, so I don't think we can read much in to that one.
    Exactly. This is solid competition. It isn't "better in every way" or anything, but it's a viable alternative for some people. That's where competition starts, and honestly that's most competition, not "light years better" but simply a bit different.

Now that said, we can't read too much in to the final product from the concept, we've all seen where that can lead, but it's a definite positive sign.

• Like x 1
  17. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

#16 Vitold, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Model Y will share Model 3 platform, and will probably be available sooner than this Jag.

EDIT: here's a feature that Model Y will be missing:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  18. green1

green1 Active Member

Source? There's a posted date for when the Jag will be available (2018) along with a prototype that the press has seen. Neither of the above apply to the Model Y
    Not to mention the fact that one is an economy focused crossover, and the other is a luxury crossover.

19. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Model 3 is competing with BMW 3 series which is not a "economy focused" car. It's safe to assume that Model Y will be the same. EM said that 3 and Y will be built on the same line. Model 3 platform will also be used for new version of Roadster.

20. green1

green1 Active Member

Does the BMW 3 series compete with the BMW 7 series? will the X compete with the Y?
    If you agree that those aren't the case, then why would an S compete with a 3 series? Why would this compete with the Y? This is targeted at the top of the market.

21. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Size is the differentiating factor. Size dictates functionality, comfort and safety. This Jag looks smaller in every dimension compared to Model X.