Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jag SUV and charging speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link does not work. Overload? Here are some pictures from AutoCar.

jaguar-i-pace-web-0098.jpg
img_4001.jpg
jaguar-i-pace-web-0096.jpg

Here's the link from Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/the-jaguar-i-pace-concept-is-the-sexiest-electric-suv-a-1788976795

This seems wrong though:

The I-Pace is powered by a 90kWh lithium-ion battery pack, mounted in the floor of the vehicle, that sends juice to two electric motors. It’s good for more than 220 miles of range on the U.S. cycle, but more importantly almost 400 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. A zero to 60 mph time is said to be around four seconds.

Isn't that significantly worse than an X90D in every way, except maybe 0-60?

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Isn't that significantly worse than an X90D in every way, except maybe 0-60?
From what I'm reading this morning the Jag has several interesting points of comparison with the X:

In favour of Jag:
- Better fit and finish, better materials, etc. (more "luxurious") let's be honest, this is not Tesla's strong suit
- Cost, Jag hasn't released numbers, but they have stated they're going to undercut Tesla (this could be huge for some people)

Mostly a wash:
- similar range, doesn't get quite to the same range as the X, but it's still a long range vehicle and quite acceptable for that purpose
- 0-60 is similar, 4 seconds is nothing to scoff at
- Interior cargo room, technically less, but in reality the official cargo room in the X isn't as practical as that shown in the Jag
- Smaller size (this is personal preference, but many people do find the X and S to be too big)

In favour of Tesla:
- slower charging (for now) at only 50kW it can't compete with superchargers, but 150kW can. The 2 questions will be if that 150 really happens any time soon, and if there ends up being a reasonable charge network to support it. My guess is no in the short term, but yes in the long term.
- more seats (6 or 7 vs 5) but keep in mind that not everyone cares about that, and there was actually quite a bit of outcry that Tesla wouldn't allow removal of the 3rd row for more storage
- no autopilot. It will likely have some lane keeping ability and such, but we don't yet know how much.

Overall, I'd say It's a worthy competitor. It won't work for everyone, but at less money for more luxury without really sacrificing range, or acceleration, I'm sure there will be a few takers. That's not to say that it's better than the X, but I suspect it will sell.

I forgot to add:
In favour of jag:
- No falcon wing doors, sure they're neat, they attract crowds and everything, but they're a maintenance nightmare, and not actually practical in the real world.

Many people vehemently disagree with your critique of FWD , I am not one of them.

For me the attract crowd factor is also a negative.

I have yet to understand the practicality of them.

Tesla has gone to great lengths to automate mundane things liking eliminating a start button and a door locking buttons, and pushed ahead with autopilot, but then added FWDs and in doing so added back a lot of mundane waiting and checking back into the mix.

Two words: British electrics. lol
Jag isn't exactly known for reliability, and then there's the whole lucas wiring thing that gives all british cars a poor reputation for electrics. But that said, Tesla also isn't known for reliability, especially the Model X, so I don't think we can read much in to that one.
Seriously, this is great news, since it's a clear signal that sustainable energy is picking up pace. Also, competition is a good thing. And to my eye, this Jag looks fantastic, even better than the X.
Exactly. This is solid competition. It isn't "better in every way" or anything, but it's a viable alternative for some people. That's where competition starts, and honestly that's most competition, not "light years better" but simply a bit different.

Now that said, we can't read too much in to the final product from the concept, we've all seen where that can lead, but it's a definite positive sign.

Reactions: Pdub2015
If that's the case, then Tesla should be scared, because they haven't even announced a Model Y yet.

No, I don't buy that for a moment. This is a high end luxury vehicle, it competes at the high end, not the low end where Y is expected to be. They aren't in the same market.

Model Y will share Model 3 platform, and will probably be available sooner than this Jag.

EDIT: here's a feature that Model Y will be missing:

Jaguar-I-Pace-Concept-156-876x535.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zag2me
Source? There's a posted date for when the Jag will be available (2018) along with a prototype that the press has seen. Neither of the above apply to the Model Y
Not to mention the fact that one is an economy focused crossover, and the other is a luxury crossover.

Model 3 is competing with BMW 3 series which is not a "economy focused" car. It's safe to assume that Model Y will be the same. EM said that 3 and Y will be built on the same line. Model 3 platform will also be used for new version of Roadster.

Model 3 is competing with BMW 3 series which is not a "economy focused" car. It's safe to assume that Model Y will be the same. EM said that 3 and Y will be built on the same line. Model 3 platform will also be used for new version of Roadster.
Does the BMW 3 series compete with the BMW 7 series? will the X compete with the Y?
If you agree that those aren't the case, then why would an S compete with a 3 series? Why would this compete with the Y? This is targeted at the top of the market.

Does the BMW 3 series compete with the BMW 7 series? will the X compete with the Y?
If you agree that those aren't the case, then why would an S compete with a 3 series? Why would this compete with the Y? This is targeted at the top of the market.

Size is the differentiating factor. Size dictates functionality, comfort and safety. This Jag looks smaller in every dimension compared to Model X.