Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jag SUV and charging speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jaguar-i-pace-web-0098.jpg
jaguar-i-pace-web-0096.jpg

It is ingenious to put a water and snow collection system right there in the hood. I can simply block the elaborate water drainage system they've got going on that goes through that front end and voila, I've got enough to do a load of laundry. Ingenious, I say!

It is ingenious to put a water and snow collection system right there in the hood. I can simply block the elaborate water drainage system they've got going on that goes through that front end and voila, I've got enough to do a load of laundry. Ingenious, I say!
That's the exit vent for the air that goes in through the top of the grill. It's a front spoiler of sorts and drastically improves the drag coefficient on this vehicle. it is also far from the only vehicle with this set up, many others also include the same type of thing. Notably The Tesla Roadster had a very similar hole in the top of the hood, and the Model X has a very similar air intake on the front. (though I don't know where the X exhausts that air, it is said to be for the same purpose)

Seems to me that Jaguar's ambition and track record under Tata have been quite impressive. XE, F type, first SUV, now this. No reason in my mind to doubt their commitment or ability to deliver.

I'm a huge tesla fan, but also applaud every time I see another viable BEV announced. Our government is not going to deal with global warming so we need capitalism to do it. I truly believe that EVs are such a superior driving experience that multiple committed builders (tesla, chevy, jag, bmw, VW, Hyundai...) could drive EV market share up fast. And, also believe just about every EV buyer soon starts thinking solar... if they were not already.

should be noted thought that it is at least a year away from production, and I don't know the extent, if any, of Jaguar's 'fast charging' network
What we do know with near certainty is that neither Jaguar or its parent company is building out a fast DC charging network. They are assuming that governments or other private entities will provide fast DC charging (CCS?) for this new EV they say they are going to build.

Most Jaguar fans who get excited over this new "concept" EV likely know nothing about EV charging and of course Jaguar will do a bunch of hand waving and try to distract anyone who questions them about how they will charge the car quickly when on road trips.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
What we do know with near certainty is that neither Jaguar or its parent company is building out a fast DC charging network. They are assuming that governments or other private entities will provide fast DC charging (CCS?) for this new EV they say they are going to build.
This is a common trend among all legacy car makers. Their thoughts on it are understandable though. They did not have to build out a gasoline network, so why an electric one? Even back in the introduction of the automobile the manufacturers did not need to build out cross country gas station networks.

Yes, I know this is very different, however I can also understand where they get the idea.

Regardless of who builds them though, charging stations will expand with demand, and electric vehicles are inevitable. Time lines are not certain, but the eventual outcome is.

That's the exit vent for the air that goes in through the top of the grill. It's a front spoiler of sorts and drastically improves the drag coefficient on this vehicle. it is also far from the only vehicle with this set up, many others also include the same type of thing. Notably The Tesla Roadster had a very similar hole in the top of the hood, and the Model X has a very similar air intake on the front. (though I don't know where the X exhausts that air, it is said to be for the same purpose)

But I'm still going to be making snow cones.

From their site:
"
How much is the I-PACE likely to cost?
Final pricing will not be confirmed until closer to the launch of the I-PACE. While electric propulsion systems can be twice as expensive as conventional systems, we assume the I-PACE will be priced 10-15% above a similarly powered and equipped Jaguar F-PACE.
"
So F-Pace is $50900 in Canada, so they suggest $55990-58535 -- sounds good, if its true.

Vive l' EV!

• Informative
Is the Tesla autopilot now so advanced that it has gained awareness of itself and other vehicles, or are you just a human with a special taste?

You do have to open some of the other links (and do some searching) in order to look at revealing pictures of the glass roof.

One shot (Bloomberg article) is from the inside with the door open looking UP inside the car's ceiling: interesting pattern on the glass roof.
Another photo is taken from outside from above (birds-eye view), car is moving, yet roof pattern is discernible and looking inside and through the car.

My car is way too old (2013) to have any kind of autopilot or similar features: the only kind of driving my car has experienced is HUMAN, 100% HUMAN driver operation.
Not that I wouldn't appreciate Autopilot and its usefulness, just living the dream with my current Model S.
My current car has a solid roof, due to Texas having its own special needs during the Summer months, and my risk adverse nature.

I'm sceptical, hopefully unfounded, that Jaguar can make the switch (on-it's-own, so to speak) to Electric. I still think it would be much better that they bought-in the battery / drive-train from Tesla and stuck to doing a gorgeous coach-building job, skills that they have in abundance. That would also solve the fast-charging issue.

Maybe its just my memories of British Leyland and how dreadful "progress" was in those days ...

Jaguar is actually further ahead than most in terms of their electrification program. They have tried it before and are involved with the Formula E racing circuit too. I think you will be suprised by the expertise in the UK when it comes to electric power-train engineering.