Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jersey: EV Rebate credits - retroactive to Jan 17th 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just talked to the Princeton shop. Apparently, the funding will be available in July.
For buys between 1/17 and July, the state is working on a process to claim the $5k directly in retrospect.
For NJ buyers after July 2020 the $5k will be deducted from the purchase price.

FYI for anyone looking to buy an EV in New Jersey ...

The governor's office announced today that the EV credits are *retroactive* back to January 17th of this year, when he signed the bill ....

Office of the Governor | Governor Murphy Affirms Electric Vehicle Rebate Eligibility Effective as of January 17, 2020

So if you are waiting to buy a Tesla ... don't! Hop to it!

For those not familiar with New Jersey's EV program ...

#1 - There's now a $5,000 rebate for EVs with an MSRP under $55,000.
#2 - There is also a $500 rebate for home EV charging infrastructure
#3 - EVs are (no matter the MSRP) exempt from NJ sales tax

It's a super program. Not too many things in NJ make you say "wow, this is excellent!" -- but here we are.

The $5k rebate is supposed to come off the vehicle price at time of purchase. No waiting for a refund check. I don't know if Tesla is setup yet for that, but that's how it's going to work ....

PS - no relation to the governor. I promise.

so how do we get $500 rebate for home charging station? thinking about ordering one from Tesla instead of going with 14-50 with a mobile connector..

The Lawrence store told me you’ll have to apply for the rebate this summer after the program gets started but any cars purchased after 1/17 are eligible.

Cherry Hill store confirmed. If you purchase before July 2020 you will need to apply for the rebate once the application becomes available in July. Purchase after July and it should be taken off of the purchase price through Tesla directly.

FYI for anyone looking to buy an EV in New Jersey ...

The governor's office announced today that the EV credits are *retroactive* back to January 17th of this year, when he signed the bill ....

Office of the Governor | Governor Murphy Affirms Electric Vehicle Rebate Eligibility Effective as of January 17, 2020

So if you are waiting to buy a Tesla ... don't! Hop to it!

For those not familiar with New Jersey's EV program ...

#1 - There's now a $5,000 rebate for EVs with an MSRP under $55,000.
#2 - There is also a $500 rebate for home EV charging infrastructure
#3 - EVs are (no matter the MSRP) exempt from NJ sales tax

It's a super program. Not too many things in NJ make you say "wow, this is excellent!" -- but here we are.

Where’s the reference to the $500 infrastructure rebate? I thought that was from PSE&G but they said they didn’t have one. Thanks !

Where’s the reference to the $500 infrastructure rebate? I thought that was from PSE&G but they said they didn’t have one. Thanks !

There is a state program supposed to be coming for that ...

Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 12.06.50 PM.png

Reactions: Pemple
Has anyone in NJ received the $5,000 rebate yet? It’s been over 2 months for me and I have still not received it.
Nothing yet. FWIW my application was approved on July 10th. When I inquired recently I was told they are experiencing delays related to COVID, but no need to worry since it was approved.

The Charge Up NJ staff has been pretty good at responding via email ([email protected]). Give it a shot. Hope you get some good news!

Reactions: Pemple