Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW JERSEY First Energy/JCP&L Charging Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems First Energy/JCP&L is finally offering incentives to add home charging capability. Not for hardware at first read, but for electrician labor to run cabling/make connections. Also offering a .02/kWh discount for off-peak. Waited for years and hardly worth the effort.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Seems First Energy/JCP&L is finally offering incentives to add home charging capability. Not for hardware at first read, but for electrician labor to run cabling/make connections. Also offering a .02/kWh discount for off-peak. Waited for years and hardly worth the effort.
Residential customers get $1500 to install one of 2 non-Tesla wall connectors. Just had my Tesla wall connector removed and replaced with. ChargePoint. Far superior to Tesla’s and a way better App. It’s the only way to get the off peak less 2 cents. Tesla wall connector will not allow JCPL to communicate

Residential customers get $1500 to install one of 2 non-Tesla wall connectors. Just had my Tesla wall connector removed and replaced with. ChargePoint. Far superior to Tesla’s and a way better App. It’s the only way to get the off peak less 2 cents. Tesla wall connector will not allow JCPL to communicate
which one did you use? do you need eletrician to do the swap? how is the process dealing with jcp&L? is it smooth?

so just make sure -- JCPL will pay for cost of the Chargepoint charger AND installation charges - capped at 1500 - provided we let them get the usage stats?

NJ state removed the Chargepoint from $250..

Thanks in advance.

Again people, read the fine print of the JCP&L language for the .02/kWh savings. At end of month/billing period, it subtracts any EV charging time/usage during peak hours from the off-peak hours for a net savings. Charge 100 kWH off peak, you save .02 x the 100 kWH used. If you charge 35 hours during peak, that gets removed from the 100 off peak for a net savings of 65 kWh x .02. I have my ChargePoint plugged into 14-50 receptacle. If I have to charge during peak hours, I unplug the ChargePoint, plug in the Tesla standard power cord so I don't get penalized. Its a minimal effort but I hate being screwed by utilities.

You are correct. JCPL ONLY pays up to $1500 for installation ( not that charger itself). I was able to sell my Tesla wall charger so I still made out. The monthly 2 cent credit is minor but was able to take credits on my 2022 NJ income taxes. Overall it’s a win as the Charge Point is better than Tesla. Better app and notifications to remind u that ur car is not plugged in at a certain time and other features

Do anyone know what will happen if you get the rebate for installing one of their chargers and then move to a Tesla charger? The cheaper kWh isn’t that much to me but wondering if they would charge your account 1500 because they gave you the rebate and you changed the charger.

I just had my charger installed by the electrician that had also done other work for me in the past. Fehsal Electric. They do quality work, and used 6/2 MC cable which is required (but not always used) for 60 Amp circuits.

Related: Chargepoint just announced that they will be making available a retro-fit for the Home Plus charger (which qualifies for the JCP&L incentives) for the Tesla NACS connector.....so even though you can only buy it now with the J1772 connector (and use an adapter for the Tesla), we'll be able to change out the cable/adapter later this year for a NACS/Tesla connector.

No word on what that cost will be.

Do anyone know what will happen if you get the rebate for installing one of their chargers and then move to a Tesla charger? The cheaper kWh isn’t that much to me but wondering if they would charge your account 1500 because they gave you the rebate and you changed the charger.
Technically, you agree to "share your charging habits" for 4 years. So I would say that if the utility "finds out" that you swapped chargers, they might try and get their money back. JCP&L will know that your old charger is no longer connected because the service won't be able to connect to it.

Is there a specific reason why you would want to change the charger after installation?

I just had my charger installed by the electrician that had also done other work for me in the past. Fehsal Electric. They do quality work, and used 6/2 MC cable which is required (but not always used) for 60 Amp circuits.

Related: Chargepoint just announced that they will be making available a retro-fit for the Home Plus charger (which qualifies for the JCP&L incentives) for the Tesla NACS connector.....so even though you can only buy it now with the J1772 connector (and use an adapter for the Tesla), we'll be able to change out the cable/adapter later this year for a NACS/Tesla connector.

No word on what that cost will be.
Thx, good to know, I don't have the car yet, just want to get more info. Sad JCP&L doesn't qualify the Tesla charger.

Thx, good to know, I don't have the car yet, just want to get more info. Sad JCP&L doesn't qualify the Tesla charger.
Not sure why Tesla's charger is not qualified. I assume it's one of two reasons:
1) Tesla won't allow outside access to their network for the charging data
2) The NACS connector is not the "Federal Standard". (This is changing of course.)