Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to report I actually got my check! It's in my hands. I can't believe it. Took lots of really nice emails asking for help but I finally got it.

I submitted originally on August 20th 2020. They had some issue mailing it and recut me a check and finally got it on January 30th 2021.

So it does happen guys. Hang in there...

Reactions: hakunamattata
You’re giving NJ way too much credit. They’re not actively looking to see if you sell your car within 3 years. Our state is a mess when it comes to this *sugar*. I wouldn’t sweat it. They’re counting on the honor system.

Man I am really wrestling with this. I purchased a 2020 Model 3 last May and got the EV rebate from the state. The new Model Y SR has really caught my eye now that I have a second little one on the way, the LR was out of my budget originally. I love the entire experience of driving a Tesla, but the extra space would be welcome. Carvana has offered me an amount where I would break even after 9 months of ownership. I'm not even concerned about getting the rebate for the Y, I just don't want them to hunt me down =)

I believe not following the terms the first time around excludes you from using the rebate again in the future. I find it hard to believe they'll be enforcing this, but hey it IS in the terms of the program.

You can try to see if they give you an exception for extra ordinary circumstances i.e. your second one on the way and you need more space. Worth giving it a shot. The other thing is if you can wait till the program starts up then register the Y in your spouse's name and claim the rebate that way. It is not limited to per household.

Man I am really wrestling with this. I purchased a 2020 Model 3 last May and got the EV rebate from the state. The new Model Y SR has really caught my eye now that I have a second little one on the way, the LR was out of my budget originally. I love the entire experience of driving a Tesla, but the extra space would be welcome. Carvana has offered me an amount where I would break even after 9 months of ownership. I'm not even concerned about getting the rebate for the Y, I just don't want them to hunt me down =)

Let us know if you ever go down this route. Generally curious.

You’re giving NJ way too much credit. They’re not actively looking to see if you sell your car within 3 years. Our state is a mess when it comes to this *sugar*. I wouldn’t sweat it. They’re counting on the honor system.

You’re very funny...once the title changes hands and or you cancel insurance on the car, they will be notified. I almost lost my license because I canceled my insurance and gave my car to charity. They immediately sent me a letter to return the plates.I didn’t see it on time and paid $300 to reinstate my registration...another month and my license would be gone.
If you think they won’t monitor this, you don’t know how much NJ doesn’t play with their money. I bet our vehicles are flagged for change of ownership.

You’re very funny...once the title changes hands and or you cancel insurance on the car, they will be notified. I almost lost my license because I canceled my insurance and gave my car to charity. They immediately sent me a letter to return the plates.I didn’t see it on time and paid $300 to reinstate my registration...another month and my license would be gone.
If you think they won’t monitor this, you don’t know how much NJ doesn’t play with their money. I bet our vehicles are flagged for change of ownership.

I’m not trying to be funny. I honestly think we are talking about 2 different things. Selling a car and failing to return plates etc is a different thing than the state then somehow notifying the Clean Energy people that you sold a car before the 3 years requirement in order to collect the $5000 Tesla rebate. The rebate money is much less for plug in Hybrids depending on the full electric range. The idea of the program is to get as many EV’s on the road in NJ. Only the original buyer of a vehicle is entitled to get the rebate. If he or she sells the car the car is still being used and satisfying the main goal of more clean energy vehicles on the roads. The bottom line is you and I are just speculating, I have a Model Y I bought almost 6 months ago. I plan on keeping it for quite a while. What we need is for someone who bought a Tesla, collected the rebate and then sold the car and maybe upgraded to a new Tesla and see if that person was flagged.

This is copied verbatim from the Charge Up NJ Terms and Conditions. It says MAY not MUST reimburse. I still think it’s a lot to expect Charge Up NJ to be notified of every transfer or sale of every EV or Plug in Hybrid and then follow up with the original owner to get their rebate money back. Only someone who’s sold their vehicle before the 36 months requirement can attest as to whether they were tracked down and had their money taken back.

Failure to Adhere to the Program Requirements
If a vehicle, for which an incentive payment was issued, is sold, returned, or traded in, or if a lease is transferred or assumed by another party prior to expiration of the minimum ownership period or lease agreement, the purchaser or lessee may be required to reimburse Charge Up New Jersey. The program administrator will follow specific procedures to enforce refunding an incentive payment where the applicant has since sold to another party or returned the vehicle to the dealer prior to the 36-month lease or ownership commitment.

I’m not trying to be funny. I honestly think we are talking about 2 different things. Selling a car and failing to return plates etc is a different thing than the state then somehow notifying the Clean Energy people that you sold a car before the 3 years requirement in order to collect the $5000 Tesla rebate. The rebate money is much less for plug in Hybrids depending on the full electric range. The idea of the program is to get as many EV’s on the road in NJ. Only the original buyer of a vehicle is entitled to get the rebate. If he or she sells the car the car is still being used and satisfying the main goal of more clean energy vehicles on the roads. The bottom line is you and I are just speculating, I have a Model Y I bought almost 6 months ago. I plan on keeping it for quite a while. What we need is for someone who bought a Tesla, collected the rebate and then sold the car and maybe upgraded to a new Tesla and see if that person was flagged.

Feel free to get rid of yours before 3 years and let us know how it goes

Feel free to get rid of yours before 3 years and let us know how it goes

Is there a reason you’re being a jerk? I’m as entitled to my views and opinions as you are. We were having a dialogue. We can disagree but you don’t need to be rude. I’m not telling anyone what to do or how to act. I’m offering my opinion on a forum topic. I would love to hear from someone who might have already sold a vehicle after receiving their $5000 rebate and see if it became an issue. I will be keeping mine for a while. Thanks for your snarky advice though.

Is there a reason you’re being a jerk? I’m as entitled to my views and opinions as you are. We were having a dialogue. We can disagree but you don’t need to be rude. I’m not telling anyone what to do or how to act. I’m offering my opinion on a forum topic. I would love to hear from someone who might have already sold a vehicle after receiving their $5000 rebate and see if it became an issue. I will be keeping mine for a while. Thanks for your snarky advice though.

how am I being a jerk? You were promoting people not following the rules and I said you break it first and let us know. The rules are clear - you’re required to maintain ownership for 3 years. You started with saying we shouldn’t give the state much credit to get their money back. Dude, you really think they’re not working hand in hand with DMV? Get out of your feelings dude. Sorry I don’t want to promote fraudulent activity

Reactions: mnevar
how am I being a jerk? You were promoting people not following the rules and I said you break it first and let us know. The rules are clear - you’re required to maintain ownership for 3 years. You started with saying we shouldn’t give the state much credit to get their money back. Dude, you really think they’re not working hand in hand with DMV? Get out of your feelings dude. Sorry I don’t want to promote fraudulent activity

This is getting a little ridiculous. I’m not promoting anything. Certainly not promoting anything improper. I’m just saying that I don’t think they’re actively pursuing the few people who might have bought an EV, collected the rebate and then sold the vehicle. I don’t think our state is that well run. But you are free to disagree but I never once said someone should violate the rules. I said it’s probably not going to get them jammed up if they did. And even IF they did it would just be a matter of owing the money back. They’re not throwing you in jail for it. And yes I do NOT think they’re working hand in had with DMV on this. Have you been to a DMV? It’s one of the most poorly run parts of NJ government there is. I’m a retired goverment employee so I know how screwed up things are and that this is the last thing anyone is actively tracking people down for, I already said I own and plan on keeping my Model Y. I’m not IN my feelings. You’re last response came off as condescending and rude. I did say it would be nice to hear from someone who did buy a vehicle and see what if anything happened to them or if they were asked for their rebate money back. You and I were speaking in hypotheticals. It’s all good though. We are allowed to disagree. I just want it to be respectful. I apologize for anything that might have come off as rude on my part. Let’s just drive our super cool cars and wait for someone with experience on this matter to chime in.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar
In my opinion the "may" in the wording of the ToS means they would like to be able to do so, but at time of writing had no mechanism in place to enforce. As NJEV-Don stated, this definitely sounds like an enter at your own risk type of thing at the moment and is subject to change at any time.