Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Jersey rebate - when does it start?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten a definitive answer from Tesla yet on when they plan to start honoring the EV rebates signed into law in New Jersey on Friday? There's a lot of confusion about whether purchases are eligible now, or if buyers have to wait until the state Board of Public Utilities opens the fund (which could be any time between now and July).

It seems the law, as passed, also requires sellers to offer the rebate immediately (i.e. cut the price of the car by $5,000 at sale), rather than making the buyer file for the rebate with the state. Not clear how that will get implemented either, e.g. does Tesla quote you a price and at delivery they just charge you $5,000 less than they would have otherwise? (I can't imagine they'd want to have a special New Jersey-only sales site!)

I've asked Tesla directly and not heard back, and I've also spoken to people connected to the drafting/passage of the new law who didn't have a firm answer either.

Has anyone gotten a definitive answer from Tesla yet on when they plan to start honoring the EV rebates signed into law in New Jersey on Friday? There's a lot of confusion about whether purchases are eligible now, or if buyers have to wait until the state Board of Public Utilities opens the fund (which could be any time between now and July).

It seems the law, as passed, also requires sellers to offer the rebate immediately (i.e. cut the price of the car by $5,000 at sale), rather than making the buyer file for the rebate with the state. Not clear how that will get implemented either, e.g. does Tesla quote you a price and at delivery they just charge you $5,000 less than they would have otherwise? (I can't imagine they'd want to have a special New Jersey-only sales site!)

I've asked Tesla directly and not heard back, and I've also spoken to people connected to the drafting/passage of the new law who didn't have a firm answer either.

They still have to figure out the exact process for everything, but I believe once they get it all settled you will actually be able to receive the rebate upon delivery of your vehicle. Meaning the check you give Tesla on the day you get your car will be $5,000 less than it otherwise would have been.

But if you’re buying yours soon and they don’t have all the logistics in place yet for you to ge the rebate upon delivery, then I imagine you will get the rebate in the form of a $5,000 tax credit when you file your tax return next year.

Reactions: dmurphy
The state BPU is going to establish the program within 180 days of the bill signing, which was 1/17/2020. I don't see anywhere where it says it will or won't be retroactive to the date the bill was signed, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be ... that would really tick off a bunch of voters, and if there's one thing politicians can't stand, it's voters mad at them.

BTW - ignore the disagree from @MarkBrokeIt. He's just thumbs-down-crapping all over the forum the last few days.

The state BPU is going to establish the program within 180 days of the bill signing, which was 1/17/2020. I don't see anywhere where it says it will or won't be retroactive to the date the bill was signed, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be ... that would really tick off a bunch of voters, and if there's one thing politicians can't stand, it's voters mad at them.

BTW - ignore the disagree from @MarkBrokeIt. He's just thumbs-down-crapping all over the forum the last few days.

I don't know why in my mind I was hoping that this would be implemented as soon as it was signed by Murphy - knowing the state and how slow things move I'm not surprised to read this.

Speaking with my SA he said "Literature says everything will be released before summertime of 2020" - I was looking to purchase a model 3 in the next few months, but looks like I may have to be a little more patient. Ideally, I'm hopeful that they'd drop the price of the P3D+ by $1990 to meet the 55k threshold, but that looks unlikely anyway. I was thinking that I could find a stealth performance for $51k-$5k rebate = $46k, which is far less as brand new than most used ones are going for currently. I don't see how I'll find a deal anywhere close to this on a used one given that NJ is now $5k under everyone else for brand new. Hoping this gets implemented sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Per the NJ website here it's looking like "by July 2020" Home - Drive Green - Air Quality, Energy and Sustainability (AQES) | Department of Environmental Protection
"Creates a rebate program for electric vehicles purchases. Consumers will receive up to $5,000 when they buy or lease an all-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle with an MSRP below $55,000 in New Jersey. The point-of-sale rebate will equal $25.00 per mile of electric-only range, up to the $5,000 per vehicle maximum. The Board of Public Utilities will launch the 10-year rebate program by July 2020."

I test drove earlier this month and the Tesla associate said:
  1. Bill is retro'd to purchases made 1/17/2020 and later
  2. Qualifying vehicles purchased prior to July 2020 will need to apply for the rebate themselves.
  3. Purchases made after July, it should be taken directly off dealer price at time of purchase.