Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Keeping Your head Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my update to FSD Beta over the weekend my vehicle now requires me to look up, head straight and centered while driving on the freeway. I hate this new feature. Is it part of the update or just the FSD Beta? If I turn off FSD Beta will that go away when on AP and my vehicle will be like before the update and not worry about the position of my eyes or head? Thank you.

Since my update to FSD Beta over the weekend my vehicle now requires me to look up, head straight and centered while driving on the freeway. I hate this new feature. Is it part of the update or just the FSD Beta? If I turn off FSD Beta will that go away when on AP and my vehicle will be like before the update and not worry about the position of my eyes or head? Thank you.
Did you also have a dead weight hanging from your steering wheel before?

I admit I look at my phone sometimes and Tesla will scream at me. I also admit my Tesla interior cam must not be able to see through my sunglasses. I've never been had a complaint from it wearing my shades :)

Other people have said it can see through their sunglasses thought. Mine have a mirror finish, so maybe thats the reason? As an engineer I'm actually curious. Might have to test out

To answer the question…. Yes I bought the steering wheel weight on Ebay. Yes I look down at my phone sometimes and I look around at the scenery.
I turned of the FSD Beta and it went back to how it was. It does not care about my eyes or head position while on autopilot and FSD Beta is turned off. I answered my own question.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and E90alex
To answer the question…. Yes I bought the steering wheel weight on Ebay. Yes I look down at my phone sometimes and I look around at the scenery.
I turned of the FSD Beta and it went back to how it was. It does not care about my eyes or head position while on autopilot and FSD Beta is turned off. I answered my own question.
Just hope you don’t hurt anyone else when you crash.

Some would happily subject themselves to this, I'm now convinced.
cwo.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just hope you don’t hurt anyone else when you crash.
I have been driving 40 years without an accident or ticket. I’m a commercial driver. Just because my eyes aren’t glued to the road while on autopilot does not mean I will hurt anyone or crash. I can assure you that I am a very safe driver. I have about 10k miles on autopilot and never once has it done anything dangerous or out of the ordinary. i have never had to take control.

There has been zero evidence of there ever being a Tesla accident due to weight device on Steering wheel. Which based on stats, makes teslas safer with a weight (zero accidents) than teslas without
There has been zero evidence of there ever being a Tesla accident with a banana in the car. Which based on stats, makes teslas safer with a banana (zero accidents) than teslas without

:D

also, without the ebay weight, on long highway trips it gets annoying having to move my hand from my lap to adjust the stereo system volume up or down one notch every 30 seconds to reset the AP nag. (Obviously Tesla feels that having your hand on the actual steering wheel isnt necessary, or they would not have programmed the software to allow you to use the scroll wheel to reset the nag instead of tugging at the wheel every 30 seconds or whatever the time is). Much more relaxing in the past 3 years of AP driving, to have my hand resting on my leg, armrest, etc.

Still requires paying 100% full attention to the road, as potholes and road debris arent detected. So up to you if you want to not pay attention and destroy a rim in a pothole or risk destroying the battery pack by letting AP run over a large trailer hitch laying in the lane that could have been avoided if you were paying attention.

Reactions: kavyboy
There has been zero evidence of there ever being a Tesla accident with a banana in the car. Which based on stats, makes teslas safer with a banana (zero accidents) than teslas without

:D
I think that's kind of the point. There's no real evidence that any measures taken to this point are effective. "Hands on wheel" is less than effective, and actually a driving distraction with the false alarms. "Look up, head straight and centered" is too early to know yet if it's actually safer or not. I'm guessing that since that method requires more effort by the driver with FSD than without, many people will either decline to use AP or work harder to defeat it.

I think that's kind of the point. There's no real evidence that any measures taken to this point are effective. "Hands on wheel" is less than effective, and actually a driving distraction with the false alarms. "Look up, head straight and centered" is too early to know yet if it's actually safer or not. I'm guessing that since that method requires more effort by the driver with FSD than without, many people will either decline to use AP or work harder to defeat it.
I don't think it's about being effective. I think it's about regulation and CYA. Tesla has to have reasonable precautions for safety to ensure continued use of the features. Already NHTSA is investigating a few issues and all these features may be in jeopardy if the agency forces a recall.

I have about 10k miles on autopilot and never once has it done anything dangerous or out of the ordinary. i have never had to take control.
Of all the discussion here, this is what stuck out at me most. You have never had to take over control???? I want your software version, or at least wherever you drive. Just yesterday there was an extension ladder on the highway that AP did *NOT* see.

PS: please don't look at your phone while driving, anything on your phone will be there while you're not driving. One second away from paying attention could literally cost a life. Just because you haven't been in an accident yet, does not mean it is safe. Phones & driving are not friends, even on AP. That being said, I am no saint, and am writing this for myself as well

Reactions: pilotSteve
There has been zero evidence of there ever being a Tesla accident due to weight device on Steering wheel. Which based on stats, makes teslas safer with a weight (zero accidents) than teslas without
I don’t agree with a lot of what you say lol. But my wheel weight is my favorite purchase I’ve made for my Tesla. I don’t think everyone should use it because most people are idiots, but it is not dangerous like people believe. I like the looking forward requirement, because I’m always hyper attentive and already looking forward and watching my surroundings. My hands are on my lap usually, and when I see a situation where I MIGHT have to take over, my hands hover on the wheel well before hand. No less safe than always hovering. People are judgy.

I have been driving 40 years without an accident or ticket. I’m a commercial driver. Just because my eyes aren’t glued to the road while on autopilot does not mean I will hurt anyone or crash. I can assure you that I am a very safe driver. I have about 10k miles on autopilot and never once has it done anything dangerous or out of the ordinary. i have never had to take control.

"I am a very safe driver, who feels that they do not need to look at the road while I drive" is an oxymoronic (contradictory) statement.

This subforum is littered with people screaming (and screaming and screaming) about "all the things FSD does that it shouldnt" including braking when it shouldnt, or otherwise doing other things it shouldnt.

Those people who died running into the side of trailers, or sitting in back seats of teslas on FSD probably thought they were safe drivers too, up till the point they died.

The eye camera exists specifically because of people who like to do stuff like this, because they have too much faith in the technology. The issue with a motor vehicle is, there is a good chance that negligence impacts more than just you.

If you run around your home with scissors pointed at your chest, but dont fall and hurt yourself, does that make running with scissors pointed at your chest safe? At least with the running with scissors in your home scenario, you are just potentially hurting yourself or your family / friends.

Using the weight is one thing (which I dont happen to agree with either) but at least most of the people who do that will at least pretend that they are paying attention. The fact that you are comfortable not pretending to pay attention on the road, means either you have normalized "I dont need to look at the road to drive" or you dont give a !@$!@$!@ about anyone else on the road either.

Despite my post above, yeah, I think the eye tracking is probably the best, if not only, solution. It just has to be implemented well - like IR camera through mirrored sunglasses and being able to tell that looking at scenery on a straight empty highway for 30 seconds is way, way better than nodding off for 3 seconds. Otherwise, it's just an annoyance that motives people to work around it.
I personally think hands-on-wheel is so ineffective, I have no problems with people thwarting it if they're paying attention. I had the scary situation of actually waking up while driving recently. I think AP would have let me drive to the state line because, hey, hand's on the wheel, right? I did get beeps for no reason, multiple times, when I was most alert and actively driving. (Yes, I did pull over and wake up. AP may have saved the lives of myself and loved ones.)

"I am a very safe driver, who feels that they do not need to look at the road while I drive" is an oxymoronic (contradictory) statement.

This subforum is littered with people screaming (and screaming and screaming) about "all the things FSD does that it shouldnt" including braking when it shouldnt, or otherwise doing other things it shouldnt.

Those people who died running into the side of trailers, or sitting in back seats of teslas on FSD probably thought they were safe drivers too, up till the point they died.

The eye camera exists specifically because of people who like to do stuff like this, because they have too much faith in the technology. The issue with a motor vehicle is, there is a good chance that negligence impacts more than just you.

If you run around your home with scissors pointed at your chest, but dont fall and hurt yourself, does that make running with scissors pointed at your chest safe? At least with the running with scissors in your home scenario, you are just potentially hurting yourself or your family / friends.

Using the weight is one thing (which I dont happen to agree with either) but at least most of the people who do that will at least pretend that they are paying attention. The fact that you are comfortable not pretending to pay attention on the road, means either you have normalized "I dont need to look at the road to drive" or you dont give a !@$!@$!@ about anyone else on the road either.
No one’s died due to FSD. Period. Get outta here.