Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Keeping Your head Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All vehicles should do something like this and not just when a system like Autopilot/FSD is engaged, although it can ramp up sensitivity when those systems are in use. Many brand new vehicles do this nowadays, and more is probably coming down the pipeline

what about this one?

It looks like you may not be familiar with the follow up on this specific case. There was a driver in the driver's seat.

It looks like you may not be familiar with the follow up on this specific case. There was a driver in the driver's seat.

You are right, I am not. Thanks for the correction.

That doesnt change my opinion that saying "I am a safe driver who feels they dont need to look at the road to drive" is a contradictory statement, though. I should have said "accidents" instead of deaths, so got out a little over my ski's on that part.

Reactions: Raurele and Ml007
The camera is now enabled precisely because people started going out and buying wheel weights so they didn't have to hold the steering wheel, despite that they were told they need to hold the wheel.

The FSDb warning is even more specific, you NEED to hold the wheel and pay attention because FSDb can do dumb stuff and holding the wheel means your ready.
But we continue to see videos of moro../drivers post videos of how FSD drove them into the curb etc etc
Every single one of those videos shows the "driver" not holding the wheel or usually not having hands anywhere near the wheel, but we just end up having to read posts about how bad FSDb is.
Posted this before, but its still relevant. There are countless posts of FSDb doing something stupid. But my car has not once succeeded in changing lanes when it shouldn't, its never run a stop sign, its never curbed a wheel. Its never done any of things I've seen posted about. Its certainly tried, many times but I've always stopped it because my hands are right there on the steering wheel and I can feel exactly what the car is trying to do.

If someone thinks its safe to use a wheel weight, check their phone or take in the scenery while driving with FSDb then my advice would be to turn it off now and leave it turned off until its out of safety score beta. This isn't like autopilot which has retained its beta tag, this is a real beta not ready for primetime yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy and Raurele
The camera is now enabled precisely because people started going out and buying wheel weights so they didn't have to hold the steering wheel, despite that they were told they need to hold the wheel.
Per Tesla, you do not need to "hold the wheel". In fact, they have intentionally configured the software to allow you to simply change the stereo volume one notch up or down, via scroll wheel in order to acknowledge that you are paying attention/to shut up the AP nag feature.

Reactions: Dewg and Raurele
I don’t agree with a lot of what you say lol. But my wheel weight is my favorite purchase I’ve made for my Tesla. I don’t think everyone should use it because most people are idiots, but it is not dangerous like people believe. I like the looking forward requirement, because I’m always hyper attentive and already looking forward and watching my surroundings. My hands are on my lap usually, and when I see a situation where I MIGHT have to take over, my hands hover on the wheel well before hand. No less safe than always hovering. People are judgy.
And let me be clear...the main reason for me constantly still looking forward at the road and paying full attention (including on AP when Im using the weight), is primarily due to me not wanting to damage my (kinda) pricey aftermarket wheels nor wanting to run over anything that's going to cost me $24k to replace the battery pack. Im not looking ahead for any other reason as the AP actually does well noticing cars, trucks, etc. The big things.
But yes, Im absolutely looking ahead and paying full attention, if for reasons that are selfish

There's no need to debate how safe or unsafe it is for people to look away or not. Nor is past accident record relevant. Tesla requires certain behavior right now to use FSDb. If you're not cool with it, relinquish it. Or wait until you strike out. either way, result is the same.

There's no need to debate how safe or unsafe it is for people to look away or not. Nor is past accident record relevant. Tesla requires certain behavior right now to use FSDb. If you're not cool with it, relinquish it. Or wait until you strike out. either way, result is the same.
To be fair, OP *did* exactly as you said and relinquished it.

to be clear - not saying wheel weights are the devils spawn.
Regular Autopilot is well sorted by now and doesn't need constant nannying, just like the OP says.
But FSDb isn't that. It really does attempt ridiculous things sometimes and really does need constant attention.
Looking away to checkout the wildflowers will find you with $500 worth of rim repairs from a curb scrape when it cuts a corner. Its come uncomfortably close to curbs for me and that's with me always holding the wheel so I can feel what its up to.

One suggestion for @Rhinomike is to setup a second profile then use one with FSDb enabled and leave the other profile with it disabled, that way the normalcy of AP and no interior camera can be retained on demand.

Reactions: oneday