Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New key fob coming with Bluetooth LE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less complex system. Tesla took the design in-house over the original RF system that was outsourced to a British company called Pektron. In theory it could have better battery life. (In addition to the lower cost)

And yes, if Tesla wants to write the software for it, a smartphone could stand in for a fob in the BLE system.

Thanks

Electrek.co gets most of their breaking "stories" from TMC.. so the fact that there's a blog post/news article about this very subject does NOT lend it more credibility. It's exactly the same information already posted on TMC previously - -Tesla is shipping BLE key fobs with Model X. It doesn't even quote or mention any kind of official source. And in fact, that article is wrong with this statement:

New owners are now reporting that Tesla’s latest key appears as a device available to be paired with other Bluetooth devices

As I've said above in this thread, if a key fob is a BLE device, it will NOT appear to be available to be paired with other BT devices. It's a different technology. It will be available to sync with apps specifically written to pair with it. It will not pair with any other generic BT devices or just show up as "discoverable".

So just because some story is posted online, doesn't mean it's official or offers any more information (or accurate) than we already know/posted above. In fact, it could be publishing wrong information based solely on what other owners are (incorrectly) reporting.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and Jbailey
Electrek.co gets most of their breaking "stories" from TMC.. so the fact that there's a blog post/news article about this very subject does NOT lend it more credibility. It's exactly the same information already posted on TMC previously - -Tesla is shipping BLE key fobs with Model X. It doesn't even quote or mention any kind of official source. And in fact, that article is wrong with this statement

Good point, sorry if I unintentionally mislead anyone.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I really wish either the fob OR the phone would enable the car to recognize the drive and set his/her driving preferences upon entering or starting the car. For example, seats, steering wheel, mirrors, entertainment, climate control, etc. Luxury cars have had this feature for years. Catch up with this simple but pleasing feature, please Tesla.

Doing this is a bit tricky, because sometimes you drive with your partner who also has a fob/phone. So what is the car supposed to do when it detects both fobs? I guess if it does it could just stay on the current setting and then you can manually move it. This would be super easy to do by looking at which Bluetooth phone is paired, but again you'd have to look for all paired phones and make sure only one is present before changing anything.

Doing this is a bit tricky, because sometimes you drive with your partner who also has a fob/phone. So what is the car supposed to do when it detects both fobs? I guess if it does it could just stay on the current setting and then you can manually move it. This would be super easy to do by looking at which Bluetooth phone is paired, but again you'd have to look for all paired phones and make sure only one is present before changing anything.
It's not really that tricky and there are cars that do it seamlessly now. Just detect which side of the car from which the fob is approaching and adjust the seat based on that fob. It's really baffling to me that my Model S can't do this and my 2010 Ford Flex does. Granted, the Ford waits for a button press from the fob before changing seat position but it's still technically the same problem. I'm a foot taller than my wife so I literally can't even sit in the car if she was the last person driving it and she forgets to reset the seat.

Tried several different BLE scanners on the fob from my MS built Aug 24 and delivered yesterday and it doesn't show up with BLE (other devices are being picked up consistently on different apps). To be fair, it also doesn't seem like it would be tricky for our cars to have wifi that was state of the art sometime in this decade vs. the best of the best in 2005, but there you go! Still love it.

I had my fob's reprogrammed a few weeks ago. There was no sign of BT after that so I thought nothing of it. But today when I had an issue pairing my calendar with the car I double checked my Bluetooth settings and low and behold there was an entry in the phone for Tesla fob.

Later on tonight I checked the phone and fob together away from the car and there is no entry for Tesla fob. Don't know what to say.:confused:

I really wish either the fob OR the phone would enable the car to recognize the drive and set his/her driving preferences upon entering or starting the car. For example, seats, steering wheel, mirrors, entertainment, climate control, etc. Luxury cars have had this feature for years. Catch up with this simple but pleasing feature, please Tesla.

Had a BMW with this feature. It was awful and I disabled it. My wife and I were often in the car together and carried keys. The car could never make up its mind what to do with settings. I like it the way Tesla does it, especially since we both have exit profiles. Nothing like getting in a car and it jamming your face into the steering wheel.