TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Kickplates Are Not Retrofittable

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jacobp, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jacobp

jacobp Member

The newer version Model S now comes with a metal kickplate that says "Model S." It is not illuminated, but it is, in my opinion, quite nice looking. Unfortunately, per Jerome, cars without the kickplate cannot be retrofitted with the kickplate. Just wanted to get the word out.

2. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Good to see the progression. Every time I get into a MB I'm reminded how far Tesla still needs to go in the luxury department...

3. Hans69

Hans69 Member

Any picture of it ?

4. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

tesla-kickplate.png

5. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I prefer the ones I ordered from formytesla with the dead peddle 442a402b3307bfaec5763e069d272c7f.jpg

6. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

NOT True. Installed in my car yesterday.

There is a slight gap on the passenger side that is hardly noticeable where it meets the carpet but just snaps right in.

I don't understand why we get this "we can't do that" stuff from Tesla.... Im still waiting for 6.1... had to wait weeks for 6.0 on a brand new car.... doesn't make sense. But to be fair to Jerome, it isn't an EXACT fit, but such an improvement its well worth it.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I see communication still hasn't progressed. Such disparate info depending on who you talk to. I've never seen such bad communication from any other company in my entire life.

8. jacobp

jacobp Member

Wow. Very interesting. Can you share pics so we can see the fit? And, did you just get the parts from your local Tesla service center? Thanks.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#9 Gizmotoy, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    And if anything, it's getting worse, not better. Frankly, I'm surprised there's been no effort whatsoever to fix it. Truly, it's the one major issue I have with Tesla. I'm dropping my car off week after next for a full 5 days so they can do parking sensor diagnosis, but 6.1 just launched with major sensor changes. The service center had no idea it was even coming, and can't get me on the priority access list. So they're going to waste a week of a loaner and a tech's time on an issue that might already be fixed, all because the SC and Corporate don't communicate.

Kickplates seem like a strange thing to not be able to retrofit. I'm sure they're integrated into that plastic piece, so it's probably not cheap. NoMoGas, how much were they? After seeing them side-by-side, I do like the formytesla ones. Hard to tell what the fitment is like in that picture, though. Since they mount on top, it might look strange.

10. bxr140

bxr140 Member

In the world of "Damned if..." coupled with the unique supply chain impact, if I were Tesla I'd consider a small gap as not retrofittable...

11. invisik

invisik Member

I've had that section of the car taken apart multiple times--it looks like it's the same plastic piece it mounts on... can't see where it meets with the B pillar from that picture, though. Even if there is a small gap, I'd still get it. Anyone have the part numbers (for USA)?

-m

12. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

forgive me im on the road sending this from my MS at a SC. the gab allows one to barely get your finger between the carpet and kickplate all the way up by where your feet are.... barely noticable whhen youre looking for it. ill post pics when i get home. cost was around 300 for the set.

13. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

PHOTOS OF KICKPANEL RETROFIT:

IMG_6846.jpg IMG_6847.jpg IMG_6848.jpg IMG_6850.JPG

As you can see it is a perfect fit with virtually no difference. I say virtually because while not noticeable without digging for it, the final picture there is a slight gap between the carpet and the panel.

14. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

On the OEM kickolate: does one purchase just the stainless steel piece that is stuck on what you have or does it include the underlying black plastic part that the. Is snapped in place of the old one?

15. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

It would have been cool if they made the silver/metal part the same shape as the door handles.

16. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Its the entire black piece

17. SUPRKAR

SUPRKAR Member

You are correct and if you suffer from perfectionist personality complex like I do, a little patience and a heat gun used from the back side of the passenger side piece you can flatten that bulge to perfection
    They look very nice maybe they will make them for the rear....

18. AMP85D

AMP85D Member

That's nice, but I'd prefer an illuminated kick plate that just says Tesla.