Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Kuat Piston Pro bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
looks like a rip off of the 1up, but with struts. integrated LED is cool. surprised they didn't include their "traildoc" with the unit. also surprised it's 1400

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

When we started creating the Piston, we took our design successes and challenges and set out to improve on all of them.
We started with a list of everything we knew we wanted in a rack but had never seen: One hand, OneTap™ pneumatic operation with zero contact on the bike frame. LED taillights and simple, tool free adjustable tire slides for all bikes sizes and tires. And of course, the most durable materials and coatings to make sure your rack stands up to epic road trips, as well as your everyday commute.

After years of hard work, we’re more than a little excited to share this revolutionary rack with you. This is the Piston™ Pro X.

To order, contact your Kuat Sales Rep or [email protected]
  • All metal construction
  • Genuine Kashima™ Coat on struts
  • Integrated locking security tool
  • Liquid painted 3D logo
  • RV Approved (42lb max per bike, 2" Hitch Only)
  • Integrated LED taillights with magnetic docking plug
  • OneTap™ hydro-pneumatic tire arms
  • QuickConnect™ available 1 & 2 Bike Add-Ons
  • Tiered trays for added ground clearance
  • 10 year no-fade powder coat
  • Stainless steel & automotive-grade finish on hardware
  • FastFit™ tool free wheel chock system
  • PedalPivot™ easily folds rack up and down
  • Add-Ons feature end-pull lever for easy folding
  • Tamper-resistant Flatlock™ hitch cam
  • Stainless steel hitch lock
  • Semi-integrated high-strand 12mm cable lock
  • eBike Ramp available
  • Lifetime Warranty

This rack is like a luxury 1UP! The question is, what does this thing weigh? Since the vertical tongue weight on a MY is limited to 160 pounds, the more weight to the rack, the lighter the bikes need to be. I love my Kuat NV 2 Base, but it’s 51 pounds; so I’m limited to two 55 pound e-bikes. Our Treks come in under that weight, but not by much. Any heavier on the rack and I’d be stretching that 160 by a bit (which I don’t want to do, since we all know that Teslas can be “finicky.”) LOL

This rack is like a luxury 1UP! The question is, what does this thing weigh? Since the vertical tongue weight on a MY is limited to 160 pounds, the more weight to the rack, the lighter the bikes need to be. I love my Kuat NV 2 Base, but it’s 51 pounds; so I’m limited to two 55 pound e-bikes. Our Treks come in under that weight, but not by much. Any heavier on the rack and I’d be stretching that 160 by a bit (which I don’t want to do, since we all know that Teslas can be “finicky.”) LOL

i would guess a little more than the NV since it has a flat base rail for each bike. we'll have to wait and see!

Have you tried calling or emailing them? They're very responsive. I suspect it's around 50 lbs.
Not yet. I’d probably wait until they release a lower cost (and possibly lighter) version. Don’t really want/need the Kashima coating. I currently have (a pretty heavy) NV 2 Base that works for me. I really like the automation, lighting and locking features of this new Küat rack though.

I’m still checking their website for specs. My post above (#5) explains that I’m trying to determine the weight of the rack since the Tesla MY tongue weight is limited to 160 pounds.
Please let us know what you find. 160lbs. does not leave lots of room for loading when you add up the weight of a good sturdy bike rack and an Ebike for example (At least 65lbs.)

Got mine last week and absolutely love it on the model x. Expensive, sure but so were the car and the bikes. Seasucker is still an option, though less convenient on a taller car.

Looks very cool. I wish they allowed you to go down to a single rack but other than that, it seems very solid and the one-handed operation would be a welcome addition over my 1UP.