Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New latches are wonderful and much quieter/better than old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old hat for recent buyers but if you still have the legacy latches get Tesla to change your "old" for the "new".

Mine was 2 years in & I still had the "old" latches until this week.

However, when my 12V battery died the mobile team also changed my latches.

A 6 hr job but I'm sure glad they did. So much better....

Latches for what? Doors or frunks?

A six hour mobile extra task — That’s impressive, that they weren’t just there to swap the battery and get on to the next assignment.

Latches for what? Doors or frunks?

A six hour mobile extra task — That’s impressive, that they weren’t just there to swap the battery and get on to the next assignment.
front/passenger door.....Tesla's mobile service has been impressive.....

btw: it's a mechanism at door plus a wire bundle change...door panels come off, a remove of old wiring, install of new wiring (reroute of wiring included). That's why it takes so long.

Tech also installed latest SW update....it's a new car feeling again...:)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Mine were replaced back in November 2016 without me requesting them or having an issue. At the time they stated they were replacing all the latches when cars were in service if the SC had stock on hand. I guess I just got lucky because my car was there for another reason and the program had just started.

These are the parts they put in. Curious if they are the same part numbers now.
MX FR DR RH LATCH NDX180 (1084917-80-C)
MX FR DR LH LATCH NDX180 (1084918-80-C)

I have the new latches, I got my car Dec 22 and just had my car in the shop for a few days redoing the latches and a new windshield. Out of nowhere my driver door stopped opening so I had to crawl through the passenger side or the rear to open my door. Kind of embarrassing when you pay over $100k for a car.

I have the new latches, I got my car Dec 22 and just had my car in the shop for a few days redoing the latches and a new windshield. Out of nowhere my driver door stopped opening so I had to crawl through the passenger side or the rear to open my door. Kind of embarrassing when you pay over $100k for a car.
Had the car since June 2016, no major issues with the door , had to pull sometimes to completely close the passenger door just this month, both the latches were replaced today.

Mine were replaced back in November 2016 without me requesting them or having an issue. At the time they stated they were replacing all the latches when cars were in service if the SC had stock on hand. I guess I just got lucky because my car was there for another reason and the program had just started.

These are the parts they put in. Curious if they are the same part numbers now.
Pretty sure that only applies to your SC. I've been at the SC few times for unrelated issue and they never replaced them, until the driver latch started failing.

I agree. I just had my March 2016 Model X front door latches replaced during my 2nd annual service. The new ones are MUCH quieter and close much smoother. I had them change out the falcon wing door closer buttons last year with the newer version that are much more intuitive for passengers to figure out.

Did you ask for them? Or was something wrong with them?

Did you ask for them? Or was something wrong with them?
Yes, I did ask for them as mine we getting very loud and the passenger's door would rattle when closing and most of the time my passengers would try to open and re-close the door because they thought it hadn't closed properly. The new latches are night and day different in terms of quietness and smoothness.

Door latch on driver’s door of our X failed just shy of the 2 year mark. They swapped both front doors with the new latches... Much quieter, better, faster, etc.. Too bad I had to have a door fail an limp it to the SC to get the latches upgraded, but well worth it.