TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by patp, Dec 11, 2015.

1. patp

patp Member

Just had an update on my P85D. Surprisingly, got this new feature: Launch Mode!

I'm on winter tires so I won't test it but it's definitely intriguing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449877205.774519.jpg

2. Jool

Jool Member

Nice addition! Wonder if us non-P owners will get launch mode too. My car is already pretty quick, but an even faster launch would be cool!

3. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

Wow. Reminds me of many sports cars with launch control. I'm sure it'll be awesome. Plus, the guy you're going off the line against won't even realize you've done it. In an ICE car you'd hear it redline

4. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I posted that on Elon's twitter, hopefully I get a response, though I doubt it. I really hope so, but I really doubt such an exclusive feature would make it to our cars.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Maybe this is what MT used? Sounds like TM could get some extra power extra fast to the rubber with this procedure. Maybe the BMS is kicked up to cool the batteries or maybe it just further reduces the reaction human delay to full pedal press.

I wonder how much force you need on the brake to keep it from launching? Without using this feature first, but from experience I'd rather push my foot down to go rather than lift a brake foot up. But who knows, it may work great. Can't wait to read reviews/see videos!

6. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I cannot try this until Monday. Service has the car this weekend while they install a new windshield.

Bad timing for me. I hope it has the new software when I pick it up Monday.

7. Caligula

Caligula Member

Oh please, for the love of god, let this be a thing.

8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

#8 MarcG, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I just got my car back from the service center this afternoon, and they've upgraded it to 2.9.40.

I've tried to enable Launch Mode but have had no luck - see the detailed video I took below:

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

You forgot to play some classic rock at 11 first.

10. Benjamin Brooks

#10 Benjamin Brooks, Dec 11, 2015
    Probably requires a P90DL, and someone goofed on the release notes to display in cars that don't support it... wouldn't be the first time Tesla screwed up release notes to the wrong configs like that.

11. caps04

caps04 Member

#11 caps04, Dec 11, 2015
    How come your doors are unlocked? Could that be the reason?

12. patp

patp Member

No it worked on my P85D. After a couple of tries I was able to engage it. Then it disappeared after 4 secs as expected.

Quit difficult to engage. Will try tomorrow morning as I was in my driveway.

13. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

They mention pressing the brake "firmly." Did you try pressing brake pedal harder?

14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Doubt it, but I can try with the doors locked. I have the "drive-away door locks" setting set to NO.

15. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

No. It works on P85D.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Who will be the first to try the new Launch Mode on a drag strip and post the 0-60 times?

17. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Yes very hard. I just tried it again. But no dice, not sure why I can't get it to engage.

18. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Had my 70D upgraded to 2.9.40 today and there is no launch mode in the release notes.

19. evp

evp Nerd

"Highway to the Danger Zone".

20. emir-t

emir-t Member

I'm really curious on what this "Launch Mode" really enables. Technically I mean. We don't even know if it changes the 0-60 time but it could very well be that they might have toned down the acceleration without the Launch Mode, making it the way it was before with the Launch Mode, enabling a smoother day to day driving experience. Or they might have another form of traction control that wouldn't be comfortable to use all the time, saving it only for Launch Mode, enabling a faster 0-60 time. However my gut feeling tells me if it was the latter, they would have gone bigger about this. At least Elon would tweet something about it and brag how they just did an OTA performance update. We're gonna have to wait and see what the owners will report. Just my .02$