TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by patp, Dec 11, 2015.

1. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

I don't have it yet either, but I'm in the midwest and won't be going to the drag strip any time soon, so I am not getting impatient yet.

2. Old Man Mike

Old Man Mike Member

#322 Old Man Mike, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    No updates here since delivery Dec 9. Currently on 2.9.12. (anyone know why my posts have all that extra space before signature?)

3. Bill D

Bill D Member

I'm in south Florida and scheduled to go the dragstrip on Jan 17, so I am getting impatient for at least the 11.2 sec 2.9.40 even if it isn't yet the 10.9 sec version that Motor Trend seems to have run.

Mine, delivered in Sept is on 2.7.56

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Bill,
    Dinner's on me :)

5. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

#325 fiksegts, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    maybe your service center can push the update to your car...

6. Bill D

Bill D Member

Sounds good (see my PM)

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=&amp]I see from your earlier posts that you got 2.9.40 pushed by your SvC, so first thing Monday morning, I'll contact Dania Beach and give it a try. [/FONT]

7. Greggmarks

Greggmarks Member

Did this come over the air or did the service center do it .

8. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Gregg:
    As far as I know, those who have received the Launch Mode software have received it from their Service Center as part of a P85D to Ludicrous upgrade or by request. I am not sure if anyone has received it via and OTA software upgrade.

9. Carspotter Daily

Carspotter Daily Tesla > ICE

I'll contact my service center as soon as i can - see if they can update me OTA.

10. Greggmarks

Greggmarks Member

Thank you. Will contact service center tomorrow.

11. NDR

NDR Member

My December 2014 P85D was updated to launch mode after I got it back from the LTE upgrade...

12. Carspotter Daily

Carspotter Daily Tesla > ICE

Called Tesla : Response "Sorry - we cannot push you the update individually, as we update them in batches and we can't update based upon request.", So.. I guess we'll just have to wait it out TMC... Really excited for this update!

13. msnow

msnow Active Member

If you physically go to your SvC I'm sure they will push it to your car. They always do for me.

14. pdq

pdq Member

I got the Launch Mode update on my P90D 2 weeks ago, but it's practically useless. Specifically, you can't engage it until you pre-heat the battery so that it's at max potential to transfer energy. I've tried doing that a couple of times and it tells me that it's projected time to do so is over an hour. I live near Philly and it's a mild winter, but with outside temps in the 40 - 50F range. Perhaps if it was the dog days of summer it'd be less time, but IMHO, when you want to engage Launch Mode, you want to be able to do so immediately, not wait for the car to warm the battery.

I wish that instead of having their developers working on stuff like that, that they'd address things more basic like fixing GPS, Autopilot, and the many other things people on this list have wisely suggested.

15. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

I've been successful using the mode even while the battery is working to reach optimum temp. In fact, in warm S. FL, I can launch as soon as I enable battery conditioning.

That said, it is a bit useless as I do not drive around in max bat and have no interest in doing a button dance before doing a pedal dance just to use launch (when it really does not seem to be any faster anyway).

16. Bill D

Bill D Member

I'm curious which FW version of v7 you received?. Was it 2.9.68?[FONT=&amp]

Also, I'm curious which FW version(s) anyone else is running in a P90DL with Launch Mode. (I know 2.9.40 added Launch Mode for P85Ds, but the version(s) for P90DLs is probably different). [/FONT]

My P90DL is on 2.7.56 and I asked my Service Adviser for a push to the latest version with Launch Mode and he said that they "are n[FONT=&amp]ot certain if Launch Mode is a part of a specific firmware version or if it is entirely separate and not affected by a firmware push". I believe he is wrong, but rather than argue, I thought that going back and simply requesting a push to a specific FW version may be my best approach.[/FONT]

17. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I don't believe the firmware versions for P85Ds and P90Ds have differed. More importantly, any version you managed to get your SC to push to your car now would include launch mode. You really wouldn't have a choice of versions. If you are able to convince them to push a firmware update to your car it will be the most recent update they have, which is generally the most recent update available, or, at worst, if the most recent update is very new, then one version back.

Checking The Firmware Upgrade Tracker (Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App) there appear to be three versions that have been released after 2.9.40.

18. rns-e

rns-e Member

Reached the exact same conclusion

19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Same here. I also worry about excess wear on components such as brakes, suspension, axles, etc. given the "squat" before launch. Given the very tiny acceleration benefit, I don't really see the point of risking the overuse of launch mode!

20. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

There is no way for it to be more wear than actually driving the car.

I'd probably have to do 100 launches to find the benefit (or not) in a statistically significant way. Maybe it makes a difference if you're using timing beams for zero reference, no idea.