Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or... Maybe 10.9 will turn out to simply be yesterday's leftover 11.3 spiced with "MT Secret Sauce v7.1".

Maybe next Sunday at Palm Beach Raceway Chef Elon will finally give us our first taste of the 10.9 that we paid handsomely for.

Last edited:
I got 7.1 today and was not able to get launch mode to work. Similar to Marcg, I had max battery enabled, and would just get the both pedals depressed message (or no message if I did it quickly). The only possible reason I think it may not have worked, was due to the temperature outside. It was 26° F. I'm curious if others who had issues engaging launch mode tried to do so in low temperatures, or, if anyone has successfully turned it on in below freezing temperatures.

I got 7.1 today and was not able to get launch mode to work. Similar to Marcg, I had max battery enabled, and would just get the both pedals depressed message (or no message if I did it quickly). The only possible reason I think it may not have worked, was due to the temperature outside. It was 26° F. I'm curious if others who had issues engaging launch mode tried to do so in low temperatures, or, if anyone has successfully turned it on in below freezing temperatures.

I don't think it's the temp, it's tricky to get going. Make sure you're hard on the brake, and then tap the throttle all the way down and up.

I don't think it's the temp, it's tricky to get going. Make sure you're hard on the brake, and then tap the throttle all the way down and up.

I tried 20 times or so. I varied how hard I was on the brake, after reading comments here I pushed as hard as I could be it was definitely to the floor. I also varied the speed I pushed the accelerator pedal to the floor, and how long I kept it there. I'd push it quickly enough to the floor and back for no message to come up. If I did it slower I'd get the both pedals depressed message. I'm open to the fact that I may be doing something wrong, but I will be very surprised to find out that is true.

I tried 20 times or so. I varied how hard I was on the brake, after reading comments here I pushed as hard as I could be it was definitely to the floor. I also varied the speed I pushed the accelerator pedal to the floor, and how long I kept it there. I'd push it quickly enough to the floor and back for no message to come up. If I did it slower I'd get the both pedals depressed message. I'm open to the fact that I may be doing something wrong, but I will be very surprised to find out that is true.

I'm getting the same result as you in my P85D.

It doesn't appear in the release notes so I'm not sure that it's included.

Like others, I am not able to get it to work. The car DOES buck as the go pedal is pressed, so I suppose it could be used as launch, although the brake hold I've found noticeably decreases launch velocity. I've had identical results before and after the "summon" firmware update (regret I did not capture version numbers for the more detail oriented). This is with Max Power... both "heating" and "ready"... no change.

Do you guys who are unable to invoke Launch Control have any indication from your car that REGEN is limited due to the traction pack being cold?
Just wondering... based upon Denarius's post.

In any case, if there is some valid reason for a Launch Mode rejection, I hope that Tesla would post a message to that effect.

My P90DL is now updating, so I'll test Launch later today.

Concerning those PxxD owners that received v7.1 but don't seem to have Launch - Last week, before v7.1 came out, I asked the SvC for a push of the latest version with Launch. They refused and said that they "are n[FONT=&amp]ot certain if Launch Mode is a part of a specific firmware version or if it is entirely separate and not affected by a firmware push". I initially assumed they were mistaken and believed Launch had to be part of a specific FW version, because of my experience supporting widespread FW releases. But [/FONT][FONT=&amp]these recent reports above from owners that received v7.1 but don't seem to have Launch make me wonder if there was something to what the SvC said.[/FONT]

My P90DL is now updating, so I'll test Launch later today.

Concerning those PxxD owners that received v7.1 but don't seem to have Launch - Last week, before v7.1 came out, I asked the SvC for a push of the latest version with Launch. They refused and said that they "are n[FONT=&amp]ot certain if Launch Mode is a part of a specific firmware version or if it is entirely separate and not affected by a firmware push". I initially assumed they were mistaken and believed Launch had to be part of a specific FW version, because of my experience supporting widespread FW releases. But [/FONT][FONT=&amp]these recent reports above from owners that received v7.1 but don't seem to have Launch make me wonder if there was something to what the SvC said.[/FONT]

I didn't have launch mode before the update and mistakenly thought I didn't have it after because I didn't execute the basics 'right'...but after RTFM I succeeded in enabling it, but I don't remember if Regen was back as we had milder weather yesterday.

So 'Launch' did come with 7.1 (2.9.154 build) even if not detailed in the release notes!...even here in Canada :)

I didn't have launch mode before the update and mistakenly thought I didn't have it after because I didn't execute the basics 'right'...but after RTFM I succeeded in enabling it, but I don't remember if Regen was back as we had milder weather yesterday.

So 'Launch' did come with 7.1 (2.9.154 build) even if not detailed in the release notes!...even here in Canada :)

Same here. I failed to activate it the first time because I misremembered the pedal sequence. I did it today with temps near freezing, but the car was in a warmish garage, so it wasn't a fair test of cold weather performance.

In the in-car manual I did read there's a minimum temperature for Launch Control to work. I think I remember 5ºC, which is 41ºF for the metrically-challenged :biggrin: but don't quote me on that as I'm going from admittedly fading memory...

Do you guys who are unable to invoke Launch Control have any indication from your car that REGEN is limited due to the traction pack being cold?
Just wondering... based upon Denarius's post.

In any case, if there is some valid reason for a Launch Mode rejection, I hope that Tesla would post a message to that effect.

I was not regen limited, max battery power took care of that pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

In the in-car manual I did read there's a minimum temperature for Launch Control to work. I think I remember 5ºC, which is 41ºF for the metrically-challenged :biggrin: but don't quote me on that as I'm going from admittedly fading memory...

Nice, I'll test in warmer weather.

Ok I was wrong, it's actually 3ºC not 5:

IMG_3623.jpg