Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there are a lot of reasons - mostly marketing related. But I get you point. I'm surprised they are releasing this new Launch Control functionality. Seems kind of gimmicky to me. But there are a lot of posts expressing enthusiasm about it, so maybe I'm in the minority.

I'd prefer Tesla focused on the other areas as well, and I have a P85D. Trip planner...

I think there are a lot of reasons - mostly marketing related. But I get you point. I'm surprised they are releasing this new Launch Control functionality. Seems kind of gimmicky to me. But there are a lot of posts expressing enthusiasm about it, so maybe I'm in the minority.

I'd prefer Tesla focused on the other areas as well, and I have a P85D. Trip planner...

The problem I have with it is that it adds to 0 to 60 performance that doesn't need improving. And compared to ICE cars with slower throttle response and poorer traction control, the MS was already much easier to launch. What needs improving is 50 - 90 (pick your range) passing performance. I fear that the introduction of launch control as the software that brings Ludicrous mode to its ultimate potential means that the 50 - 90 time that ludicrous is already capable of is all we are going to get. Of course this is a first world problem and I hear that ludicrous 50 - 90 isn't bad.

why does Tesla focus on 0-60, but disregard all the more important things that need to be better, like the horrible nav and so on. Sigh...

There probably isn't an overlap between the engineers who are working on the drivetrain software and the engineers working on the NAV software.

Well, I would HOPE there isn't! Imagine pressing the accelerator and the software that supports you from that point on was written by the same guy who brought you the 4500 mile detour to navigate between two Superchargers that are 140 miles apart from each other...

There probably isn't an overlap between the engineers who are working on the drivetrain software and the engineers working on the NAV software.

Excellent point! And since it's got to be the truth, then there are literally dozens upon dozens of possible reasons why performance continues to improve at such a fast rate, while other features improve at a much slower rate. I'd hope that people here could reasonably come up with some of those possibilities, none of which would have anything to do with an intent to upset current or future owners.

My GUESS is that Max Bat is simply a barrier to usage given launch is available right after turning max bat on (before it could have any conditional effect). By doing this, Tesla ensures launch mode is only available and used after the owner takes the time to turn on the max bat feature. This would be a safety feature (you need to consciously enter max bat before you can do your pedal dance) and help to reduce usage of launch mode. I know I would use it a lot more if I did not have to do the whole max bat thing. I'd just get a wild hair at a traffic light and do a quick pedal dance to play if I was not required to play with settings in the display first.

Was posting on a different thread re. this at Firmware 7.0 - Page 175 - too many threads, not enough time ;-)

anywho, I completely align to your belief. A general user should get the both pedals pressed message, though those who have the knowledge and expectation to conciously trade off range for launch can do so. The video I posted yesterday, on 2.9.12, is completely traction limited and even at 22% SoC this gave a much more exciting experience than just kicking the accelerator.

Awesome! The cars just keep getting better.
And owners of several of the cars on that list are afraid to hard launch them as they might brake something...

The car does apply power against drive line lash and the tire side wall but this is really not that much torque. The launch itself fully uses the tire side wall and there is absolutely nothing that would give me any hesitation WRT drive line issues.

Race cars and ICE with launch have difficulty when the rotational inertia builds then is abruptly stopped. Spinning the tires on corner exit then gaining traction has snapped many an input shaft or half shaft for me. Street car ICE launches where they spin up the engine then dump that inertia to the wheels is, likewise, hard on components. Tesla does not spin anything up and their traction control is so good that there simply is not enough time in the slip condition to build much drive line momentum. I do not see a problem (and, having said that, I will not likely promptly break my car :0 )

What I don't understand is how this new launch mode helps the 0 to 60 runs that motor trend calculates, since they remove the 1st foot rollout anyway?

I thought of that too.

I'm just taking a stab at this. It's definitely not my area of expertise, so I easily could be mistaken. But I think it's because with launch mode, the car will be travelling faster when it reaches the 1-foot point than it would be without launch mode. So everything from that point on winds up being faster.

(I'm sure someone will correct the above soon, but this is my guess.)

What I don't understand is how this new launch mode helps the 0 to 60 runs that motor trend calculates, since they remove the 1st foot rollout anyway?

I believe that Motor Trend uses the 1 ft rollout.

What is probably happening is that there is some variability in 0-60 times. Indeed, I said earlier that 0-60 time repeatability is probably not all that great.

The MT result reported in their article, 0-60 in , 2.6 seconds I believe the Tesla Stated time of 0-60 of 2.8 seconds and the magazine 0-60 time are measured the same way.....It's looking like the Magazine was getting better than usual, or better than the Tesla official 0-60 times on the particular day that the car was tested, and/or the official Tesla marketed result was more conservative result.

Last edited:
I thought they just subtracted 0.2 seconds to simulate roll-out?

Source? As far as I know they subtract 1 foot to simulate the timing lights, which is just a whopping 60 degrees of wheel movement, assuming no wheel slip. Launch mode would definitely impact this performance.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought of that too.

I'm just taking a stab at this. It's definitely not my area of expertise, so I easily could be mistaken. But I think it's because with launch mode, the car will be travelling faster when it reaches the 1-foot point than it would be without launch mode. So everything from that point on winds up being faster.

(I'm sure someone will correct the above soon, but this is my guess.)

It sounds like all meaning has been lost here since people still assume that the rollout was "cheating". Is the car faster or not? I'm going to assume yes. The measurement with rollout will be even faster still.

I'm just waiting for the uproar when all the 0-60 times of P cars get updated, included the P85D in norway.

It sounds like all meaning has been lost here since people still assume that the rollout was "cheating". Is the car faster or not? I'm going to assume yes. The measurement with rollout will be even faster still.

I'm just waiting for the uproar when all the 0-60 times of P cars get updated, included the P85D in norway.

I don't understand how my comment implies anything about cheating.

The question Marc and I were wrestling with was if launch control just helped people start the car more effectively, would it matter if the first foot wasn't being counted anyway. My guess was that it would, because at the 1-foot point with launch control the car would be travelling faster than it would be at the 1-foot point without launch control. I was using my guess to support the fact that the car could, conceivably, be faster with launch control.

I have no idea how that caused you to say it sounds like all meaning has been lost, cheating, etc.

Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding. I said I very well may be. But I am attempting to support the conclusion that the car is, in fact, faster with launch control.

I don't understand how my comment implies anything about cheating.

The question Marc and I were wrestling with was if launch control just helped people start the car more effectively, would it matter if the first foot wasn't being counted anyway. My guess was that it would, because at the 1-foot point with launch control the car would be travelling faster than it would be at the 1-foot point without launch control. I was using my guess to support the fact that the car could, conceivably, be faster with launch control.

I have no idea how that caused you to say it sounds like all meaning has been lost, cheating, etc.

Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding. I said I very well may be. But I am attempting to support the conclusion that the car is, in fact, faster with launch control.

The point is that launch control isn't relevant to measurement with or without rollout, a faster car will have a faster time. The question in itself is loaded since it implies something about rollout, the real question again is "is the car faster".

So Tesla is directing some of it's very limited resources to a (in the bigger picture) pointless option to shave another tenth of a second off the 0-60 time.
Which in real world driving makes a difference exactly 0.000% of the time.
Yes, more than 0.000% of the owners and potential owners conceptually care about this but that doesn't change the fact that this is utterly irrelevant when actually operating the car.
40-60, 50-70, yes, those numbers matter a lot and they are mediocre compared to a ton of cars. But no one writes about them.

(and hard as it is for me, I will not allow myself to repeat all my whining about the firmware and the fact that there are a ton of really useful small things that could be done there that almost certainly would take fewer resources than the launch mode did... DANG, I did it again. And I was trying so hard)

So Tesla is directing some of it's very limited resources to a (in the bigger picture) pointless option to shave another tenth of a second off the 0-60 time.
Which in real world driving makes a difference exactly 0.000% of the time.
People buy the P cars for a reason... It will certainly impress passengers more than a 50-70 time. As for real-world, well that's up to the driver.

Yes, more than 0.000% of the owners and potential owners conceptually care about this but that doesn't change the fact that this is utterly irrelevant when actually operating the car.
40-60, 50-70, yes, those numbers matter a lot and they are mediocre compared to a ton of cars. But no one writes about them.
The car has enough power to pass any other car like it was standing still, it's only a problem if you're racing some other semi-exotic. I'd recommend driving an any-car sometime, like a typical honda civic with an engine less than 2 liters, or a subaru legacy wagon, and you can wonder how they manage to even merge onto the highway.

The car has enough power to pass any other car like it was standing still, it's only a problem if you're racing some other semi-exotic. I'd recommend driving an any-car sometime, like a typical honda civic with an engine less than 2 liters, or a subaru legacy wagon, and you can wonder how they manage to even merge onto the highway.
True, but if that's the argument for not fretting about 50 - 90, then it also applies against 0 - 60: we should just close several threads and drive like hypermiling grandparents.