Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but if that's the argument for not fretting about 50 - 90, then it also applies against 0 - 60: we should just close several threads and drive like hypermiling grandparents.
The difference with 50-90 passing is that it is hard to tell the difference without another car of similar performance to compare to. All of the P-models can probably pass 99% of cars out there like they were standing still, a little faster doesn't really make much of a notice-able difference to the general public.

0-60 on the other hand is very easy to tell even without a comparable car next to you because of the G-forces. That is why youtube is dominated with launch videos. You rarely see videos showing off passing (even for other performance cars).

Also in context, there is a bunch of complaints going on about the use of rollout (as well as 10.9 1/4 mile), and this may be a way to address that.

Last edited:
There probably isn't an overlap between the engineers who are working on the drivetrain software and the engineers working on the NAV software.

Well, I would HOPE there isn't! Imagine pressing the accelerator and the software that supports you from that point on was written by the same guy who brought you the 4500 mile detour to navigate between two Superchargers that are 140 miles apart from each other...

Way off topic but I feel I need to say this... The Tesla NAV application and its exhibited lack of continous improvement has all of the hallmarks of an outsourced software effort. In my former life, we outsourced some non-core applications and suites of software from small boutique subject matter expert firms. Once or twice a year dot point improvements were typical based upon the contract and the outsourced firm's constraints. Now it appears to me that Tesla NAV suffers this same fingerprint as a "tell". Very infrequent improvements if any. But some major moves such as when the so called "range anxiety" release was made.

IMHO, if there were a dedicated team inside of Tesla working on NAV, we would enjoy a continual stream of dot point mini enhancements.... but NO.... that is not the case. However the latest Launch Control release notes did for the first time mention a NAV improvement.

So then we have Tesla probably negotiating with a boutique firm... who prices Tesla identified & prioritized enhancements... and then gets back to Tesla with a project time line and then a "Go Ahead" purchase order is cut... that is what I am seeing, and my many years in the software industry tells me this is probably the situation. There is certainly a Tesla NAV product manager and team of integration and test personnel... but unlikely a dedicated platoon of developers in house.... It just does not "Feel" that way to me.

Now, if Tesla does in fact have an internal NAV development team... me thinks they are seriously mis-managed and some one needs to kick out their JAMS...M. F.

Last edited:
Way off topic but I feel I need to say this... The Tesla NAV application and its exhibited lack of continous improvement has all of the hallmarks of an outsourced software effort. In my former life, we outsourced some non-core applications and suites of software from small boutique subject matter expert firms. Once or twice a year dot point improvements were typical based upon the contract and the outsourced firm's constraints. Now it appears to me that Tesla NAV suffers this same fingerprint as a "tell". Very infrequent improvements if any. But some major moves such as when the so called "range anxiety" release was made.

IMHO, if there were a dedicated team inside of Tesla working on NAV, we would enjoy a continual stream of dot point mini enhancements.... but NO.... that is not the case. However the latest Launch Control release notes did for the first time mention a NAV improvement.

So then we have Tesla probably negotiating with a boutique firm... who prices Tesla identified & prioritized enhancements... and then gets back to Tesla with a project time line and then a "Go Ahead" purchase order is cut... that is what I am seeing, and my many years in the software industry tells me this is probably the situation. There is certainly a Tesla NAV product manager and team of integration and test personnel... but unlikely a dedicated platoon of developers in house.... It just does not "Feel" that way to me.

Now, if Tesla does in fact have an internal NAV development team... me thinks they are seriously mis-managed and some one needs to kick out their JAMS...M. F.

Sadly I believe it is the opposite problem. Starting around v6.0 I'm told nav development has been much more in-house. Prior to that release the car used Garmin's routing engine (along with its map data, voice announcements, diagrams, etc) but since then it's a Tesla-proprietary routing algorithm.

Dont like that you must launch in 4 seconds after pressing the pedal sequence. If you are drag racing (only time you need this function :p ) its not easy to time when the signal turns green.
This wasn't made clear, but the 4 seconds is for the last step correct? Meaning after launch mode is enabled, the 4 second timer only starts after you press the accelerator the last time, correct? If that is the case, then timing it shouldn't be that difficult.

You know this how??... It just does not "feel" this way...
Is he talking about the "end of range anxiety" update, which presumably is in-house given the integration with superchargers. However, I can see how it is possible it is in-house at the high level (meaning setting way-points for the trip) but the routing for the granular parts (individual routes in between those phones) still being third party.

It looked like the power didn't show on the graph until he started releasing the brake pedal and then the brakes cut all at once. Like the brakes in launch mode are all on then all off, not a percentage of pedal pushed.

No, watch the video again. 40 kW is visible on the energy meter before he says "release the brake". There is slight movement and noise before he says that simultaneous with the 40 kW appearing on the power meter. The noise and movement is the result of the motors loading the driveline with torque.

After he says "release the brake" then the large lurch of the launch occurs and speed begins to increase from 0.

0-60 on the other hand is very easy to tell even without a comparable car next to you because of the G-forces. That is why youtube is dominated with launch videos. You rarely see videos showing off passing (even for other performance cars).

Well, sure... if you're talking about boring pedestrian supercar acceleration. Of course, if a car has a decent amount of power, those passing videos become much more epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the upcoming movie release, I'm calling it the Randy Wookiee sound.

Ok, watched the video.
I'd say the Supra has right at 691 hp.

What you you gals/guys think?

I'm thinking 4 digits for RWHP. This thing has to be pulling single digits ETs with proper traction.

Nah, the fuel pump can't pump that much fuel without enduring long-term degradation, which could lead to leaks and thus reduced range.

LOL, I'm pretty sure they upgraded the fueling system when they installed that giant single turbo into the Supra. Also mostly sure people who build cars as such don't care about "long term degradation" of parts. Just saying.

You're right though. The stock fuel pump (and most likely injectors) can in no way, shape, or form, supply enough fuel for this vehicle.

Last edited:
Well, sure... if you're talking about boring pedestrian supercar acceleration. Of course, if a car has a decent amount of power, those passing videos become much more epic.
That shows exactly my point, you need a car next to you that is very obviously a high performer. 0-60 you don't. The reaction videos with a passenger already tells the whole story.

One thing I forgot to point out also is that 0-60 is the most common metric. 50-90 is very rarely compared. The passing spec Motor Trend uses is 45-65mph. C&D uses 30-50 and 50-70. It's not a very important metric for enough people to be focused on in general. I'm guessing merging on an on-ramp is more important than passing.

Last edited:
IMO 0 to 60 has become a useless metric and is only touted due to the legitimate cache it once held with consumers. In all honesty, even the plain Jane front wheel drive Toyota Camry pulls a 0 to 60 of under 6 seconds (5.8 to be exact). That used to be V8 RWD sports/pony car territory not too long ago, just for some perspective. This means that even your new M3 or S4 or Mustang GT (et al) is going to actually need to TRY and beat grandma in her Camry XLE, should she decide to gun it onto the freeway from a red light. Basically, 0 to 60 performance in a non-issue for most new cars being produced today... at least in terms of real world, everyday use goes anyway. And if we aren't talking about real-world every day use? Then there are much better metrics to look at like 1/4 mile ETs and trap speeds, and/or 0-100-0 times.

Last edited: